Stihl Contra Info Sharing Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These early rear handles are very close to the design used in the later handles (late Contra, 070, 090)...

Stihl probably sent a number of saws each year to the US for testing as Germany lacks the large-tree forests. There may be quite a number of survivors out there.

No luck yet. About one year ago I was talking to Teddy Scout about one that he was willing to sell to me. However, after a couple of emails he stopped replying and I was never able to contact him again. :( I must have sent at least 20 reminders but no luck. Although a vertical louver version will fit the muffler, I insist on a horizontal one for 'historical correctness'. Not sure if the regular one is incorrect (I have seen sand cast mufflers with the vertical cover) but somehow I feel that the horizontal one was the original part?

Also, I forgot to mention it earlier but impressive work you did with reproduction of those 'G' specific parts. At first glance I thought the reproduced part was the original. That is quite a handy talent you have. Could you also (theoretically) do it for even older Stihl (two man saw) parts like the top and bottom ends of this (left) muffler type?

I was also wondering about the cylinder in the ebay auction you posted. Probably not original but somehow the mounting in the case shown there also look odd. I don't have an 090 apart now so I cannot check if it's really different.
Do you have a G or GS? This is a pic out of the instruction and spare parts manual. I think you would be ok with the vertical cover, as far as historical correctness.image.jpg

You are of course correct that the 1109s also came with the vertical version, no doubt about it. There's even a photo of one floating around:

I don't know exactly why but somehow I feel I need a horizontal one. Especially given how the original owner made the replacement cover, I think my saw originally came with that version.

My saw is a GS btw. I think both version came with both types of the cover though.

Thats a great Contra AV. Very special with the #28 and the nametag. Im missing a few bits on my Contra AV before its complete, hope to find them soon. But its not as special as yours :clap:

Wow, nice saw! Any idea if they added the AV system later? That saw seems to have an early 'body' and top cover but the AV system is of the later kind.

It has the late body as well. Look at the starter and the cylinder. It is the late type. Its hard to see, but the cylinder has the casting ports, the late cylinder has this.

It has the late body as well. Look at the starter and the cylinder. It is the late type. Its hard to see, but the cylinder has the casting ports, the late cylinder has this.
It appears to have the earlier crank as there's no lower mount for the muffler, whilst having the later starter and off-switch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It appears to have the earlier crank as there's no lower mount for the muffler, whilst having the later starter and off-switch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont think there is an early crank, they are all the same. But i know what you meen, the leftside crankhouse is with the green tag plate and not with the lower mufler mount. As i remember, that was only for the last Contras build as they were starting the produktion of the 070 that has that lower mount.

I think this saw is from the mid 60s and up to the point were they startet with the 070 crankhouse. The saw is all original as it is.
In my collection i have saws with the late starter but still the green tag plate and also a Contra AV with the 070 crankhouse and the lower mufler mount.
There was an update around the mid 60s were the late starer came and the AV system was an option, but it was not until the end of the produktion the 070 crankhouse came.

I'm not 100% sure but I think where was three variations in the crankshafts over the life of the Contra range.

You are quite right!
I stand corrected... I have looked in my ipl's.
The first crank had nr. 1106 030 0701, it had to wird shims. These were removed and the nr was now 1106 030 0704. The Contra G had a different crank as well, way i dont know: 1106 030 0703. And the 070 has : 1106 030 0400. The Contra S has the same crank as other Contras.

But we have 2 different cranks for the Contra, an early and a late. And then there is a G crank.
There cant be much differens on these cranks as they should be possible to interchange them.

I cant read the text... sorry

Dos any one know the size of the carb for the Contra, Contra S, Contra G 070 and the 090?? there should be a differens right?

All the Contras that i have use the 20mm Tillotson carb. When i got my 090GS there was the same 20mm Tillotson on it, the carb needed some work so i put a 25mm Tillotson on it. The saw runs perfekt with that carb, and most have more power than before.

I got the 25mm here: http://shop.saegenspezi.de/Vergaser-Tillotson-passend-fuer-Stihl-070-090-AV-070AV-090AV-090G-G

But the 25mm is to big for the 106cc engine, i did put it on a Contra ones but that was not that good of a match.

Stef, the common carb on the Contra is the Tillotson HL 112... There are different version, B, C, D, etc.

The common carb for the 070/090 are HL 244A & HL 324A.

Most of my Contras use HL 74A, they are 20,7mm ventori. My 090GS now have the HL 324A. Wich then is the right one for the 137cc. that is about 25 mm

I've heard of the HL 74a though never seen one on a Contra here!

Venturi size i see on Contras here.
HL 112a= 3/4 } 19mm
112b=3/4}
112c=11/16} 17.5 mm
112d=11/16.

The 070/090 HL 244a & 324a, both have the 13/16 venturi.} 20.7 mm.
Tillotson_HS_Carb.jpg

Latest posts

Back