Stihl eats cap thingie

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayC

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I popped the bar oil cover on my Stihl 036 Pro, and found a the plastic lead in a weird state. There was an inch or so of normal plastic lead, then a string-like section - looked like the plastic was twisted until it became like a string, then a ball on the end. It looks like the plastic cap retainer got hung up on a screw-drive inside the oiler, and got twisted around. Now I'm worried that ground up plastic pieces got sucked into the pump innards - suggestions?

JayC

I popped the bar oil cover on my Stihl 036 Pro, and found a the plastic lead in a weird state. There was an inch or so of normal plastic lead, then a string-like section - looked like the plastic was twisted until it became like a string, then a ball on the end. It looks like the plastic cap retainer got hung up on a screw-drive inside the oiler, and got twisted around. Now I'm worried that ground up plastic pieces got sucked into the pump innards - suggestions?

JayC

The ball on the end is normal - the string should fit into a slot in the side of the opening and pulled up until the ball snugs it in place. Oil should go though a filter before reaching the pump, so little chance of anything getting caught or ground up.

Philbert

Normally it's the cap, then a hard plastic straight lead, then a plastic rope, and then the ball on the end that locks on. I think you're ok. If the ball is in tact, on the rope, and connected to the hard plastic lead, I cannot see what would have been broken off/been ingested by the pump. Was the ball still seated in the retainer or had it been lose in the tank? Either way I don't think there's enough length there to reach the back of the tank.

My 036 Pro's cap doesn't have one of those new-fangled flippy thingies, but the plastic rod/rope/ball looks similar. I haven't done much cutting with the saw, and never noticed the plastic rope. It looks like all is fine.

I got the saw off e-bay for $200 delivered :hmm3grin2orange: - it's in great shape cosmetically and runs/cuts like a raped ape.

Thanks guys!!

JayC

Back