Stihl farm boss vs husqvarna rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is the question right now, this would be my first and one and only saw, I want a 20" bar and I like stihl products but just don't which one to choose because both are equally priced

well I'll put it this way if they both were to break down I'd much rather work on the Husqvarna. Not to mention the power to weight is a little better. I agree with the statement that the dealer will make the difference not the saw.

well I'll put it this way if they both were to break down I'd much rather work on the Husqvarna. Not to mention the power to weight is a little better. I agree with the statement that the dealer will make the difference not the saw.

Good post.

When you get used to the 290s they're not that hard to work on, easy honestly.

So now you want to call me out and tell me I'm full of #### for giving my opinion on a saw. Just because I'm new to AS doesn't mean I'm new to saws. I guess there truly is an ###hole in every crowd.

Thats the deal man this is all about comfort for you. we wont be running the saw you will. So pick whats comfortable for you. I prefer the Husqvarna due to my poor luck with the with 290. But pick up the saw ask if you can run it get a feel. who knows you may end up with a completely different brand yet.

That is the question right now, this would be my first and one and only saw, I want a 20" bar and I like stihl products but just don't which one to choose because both are equally priced

What do those things cost new, like 400 bucks? I'm guessing, just don't know.

You said you like stihl, get the stihl then, that's easy, you ever toast it, you can make it a 390 relatively cheaply.

Unless your local stihl dealer sucks, then skip it. If they are the same price, go with the best local dealer.

Not sure, but think you can find 455 refurbs on line.

I you ain't afraid of pulling a limiter cap and richening an H screw, echo 600ps can be had or around that amount on the bay.

Fall back, think on it, post a saw wanted ad in the auctions up above, see what you get offered in your price range. I bet you could get a lot more saw for 400 bucks or so.

Of course I know you proly want a brand new shiny saw, so just pick one and go cut wood! plenty of time after that to get CAD and so on. You'll have just as much fun with either saw and cut the same wood you aim the bar at. The tree does not give crap one. Stove don't care which saw cut the wood. So.... Go pick 'em both up and just vibe it out, which feels the best, which you want to see in your hands. Then you'll be happy.

What do those things cost new, like 400 bucks? I'm guessing, just don't know.

You said you like stihl, get the stihl then, that's easy, you ever toast it, you can make it a 390 relatively cheaply.

Unless your local stihl dealer sucks, then skip it. If they are the same price, go with the best local dealer.

Not sure, but think you can find 455 refurbs on line.

I you ain't afraid of pulling a limiter cap and richening an H screw, echo 600ps can be had or around that amount on the bay.

Fall back, think on it, post a saw wanted ad in the auctions up above, see what you get offered in your price range. I bet you could get a lot more saw for 400 bucks or so.

Of course I know you proly want a brand new shiny saw, so just pick one and go cut wood! plenty of time after that to get CAD and so on. You'll have just as much fun with either saw and cut the same wood you aim the bar at. The tree does not give crap one. Stove don't care which saw cut the wood. So.... Go pick 'em both up and just vibe it out, which feels the best, which you want to see in your hands. Then you'll be happy.

And that is rock solid advice! Right now I know where there is a used 026 with a fresh meteor top end at a very reasonable price. I would take that saw hands down over any Farmboss or Rancher.

Last edited by a moderator:
[video=youtube;stdi-1tIUhM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stdi-1tIUhM[/video]

This is for the OP of this thread, witch ever saw you chose............. log of the internet and never log back onto arborisite again. The farmboss or the rancher will be the only saw you ever need and it will cut alot of fire wood. Good luck.

This is for the OP of this thread, witch ever saw you chose............. log of the internet and never log back onto arborisite again. The farmboss or the rancher will be the only saw you ever need and it will cut alot of fire wood. Good luck.

From my experience the Stihl parts are higher priced than Husky parts, if that's a concern.

If the OP needs dealer support go with the best dealer you feel comfortable with.

After working on both of these saws 455 and 290. I like the 455 better for working on and way it is built.

Running them I give the edge to the 455 too with 20 3/8 chain being run on both. The 290 seemed better suited for 325 with 20" and hardwood cuts. Me personally would run 16" bars on both.

Latest posts

Back