Stihl farm boss vs husqvarna rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Our Local area stihls shine above, Huskys take longer to get parts for and always need more work then stihls. The MS290 is a great saw with very few issues, The only time a MS290 comes in too get worked on is because it has a broke fuel line of it quits oiling, Both easy fix.

Stihl vs Husky

I personally like the way Sthil runs their buisness, protecting their dealers and staying out of "Big Box" stores! I will never buy a big ticket item from a big box (Menards for example) again because they just sell stuff and don't do a good job of servicing or repairing or even stocking parts. We have a good local dealer for Stihl products close by so that is where I take my buisness, but thankfully I do not have to go very often because the stuff is good quality! I guess that I may be a bit of a saw snob also and I really do not mind running slow and heavy old saws because I am a weekend firewood collector and not a pro wood cutter. See my signature about old and slow saws! There will probably be more additions later, C.A.D you know!

Ray

Last edited:
What truck do you drive? If Ford, I'd go with the Husky. Dodge, I'd go with the Stihl. That's gonna be about the most logical answer to your question around here... I got a farm boss for Christmas last year, love it. I'm sure the Rancher is just as good. As previously stated, I'd go with whichever dealer is easier to get to/work with. Once you get one, you'll be back for more...

What if you drive a Chevy? A Nissan? :laugh:

Oh and as far as between the 290 and 455...I would have to nod to the 455...it handles better, is lighter, and feels like it has more power and less clunky than the 290... If you can pony up the extra $150 I would highly recommend the super amazing 550xp and never look back...

Not a big fan of either saw, but the 290 is a well built saw for what it is. I've also seen 455's stand up to heavy use pretty well. The filtration on the 455 is far better than the 290 as well. If you can stretch you budget check out the Husky 359, it's a pro saw at a great price point.

If the 359 is a pro level saw why did Husqvarna go with a 1 ring piston design? One of the common features of "commercial" application 2-strokes is a 2 ring design for enhanced compression, heat exchange, etc.

If the 359 is a pro level saw why did Husqvarna go with a 1 ring piston design? One of the common features of "commercial" application 2-strokes is a 2 ring design for enhanced compression, heat exchange, etc.

...so they can use the same piston and rings from a poulan...jk.

I have wondered this myself...where is SawTroll, I'm sure he can explain it. Either way it seems to work well for husky, so mabye it's better than dual rings.

The amount of rings has nothing to do with pro or non pro! Just that simple. Some pro models have 1 some have 2 rings. Nothing to it.

Drop the husky and the stihl in sub 30 degree temps... the husky case will break and the MS290 will still be kickin.. They are both fine saws for farm use. Everyone here hates the plastic cased saws. the truth is they are affordable saws that will last more years than their owners if well taken care of.

Last time I checked crank cases were made out of metal. They both use lots of composites split a 290 open it really won't be much different than the rancher. The real upside to a 290 is if it breaks down you can upgrade to a 310 or 390 with no problems.

Last time I checked crank cases were made out of metal. They both use lots of composites split a 290 open it really won't be much different than the rancher. The real upside to a 290 is if it breaks down you can upgrade to a 310 or 390 with no problems.

Can the 455 Rancher be upgraded to the 460 Rancher?

Well Husqvarna thinks it has something to do with it as 2 ring piston configurations is one of their pro vs. landowner, etc. class distinctions.

Its called cost. There's also been a running debate as to which last longer , a 2 ring set up or a one ring set up. The rings transfer the heat to the cylinder fins, known fact 2 rings do it better than one. Performance wise a one ring seems to perform slightly better due to less friction and emissions are are less because no unburnt fuel gets trapped between the rings. Most of todays big pro saws, 70cc or better, are two ring. The exception being Dolmar who still uses a single ring in their 7900 series. There are alot of smaller homeowner type saws using a single ring today. Some small pro saws do as well, the 346 and 5100 for example. Whether it be one ring or two if she's running lean they are both going to fail, one slightly sooner than the other...

Latest posts

Back