Stihl FS250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walexa07

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Considering that they are being discontinued, just had to get one. I traded my 130 Kombi system in on one. What a difference. I have read some posts saying that the 130 is in the same league, but trying it out first hand I'd say that is definitely not true. Just running the 25-2 trimmer head the FS250 is unbelievable - I don't know what it would take to bog this thing down - it's a screamer for sure. I think it has the hi viz guard - this is the first guard I have ever used that I think may stay on the trimmer as it doesn't seem to get in the way like every other guard I have ever had (always end up removing them). I also got an airecut 300mm blade, but have not tried it out yet. I still want to look at the comfort harness, but never used a harness on the 130. I had always thought the FS250 would be a handful compared to the 130, but the FS130 is stated to weigh 12.9 pounds versus the 13.2 pounds for the FS250 - I think the Kombi 130 would weigh more than 12.9 since it has the coupler. My point is that the FS250 doesn't feel any heavier or bulkier than the 130. My 130 never liked to run at a constant throttle in the low rpm range - I have read that others do this with no issues and that's what they liked about the 130, but it wasn't the case with mine. Maybe it just needed some adjustment?

Anyway, just felt like posting regarding my trade up. I still have a Shindaiwa T-230 and a Husqvarna 326 LS - but they definitely feel like homeowner models compared to the FS250.

Waylan

I've been waffling back and forth about buying an FS-250R. I'm perfectly happy with my FS-44 and it has served me very well, but I keep thinking about the FS-250R.

If I do buy an FS-250R, I have a neighbor that will buy my FS-44. He's been pestering me for the last 3-4 years to buy it.

I can get the FS-250R less 10% off MSRP. I have to run some errands today in town, so I just might drop by and take another look at that 250R. :msp_wink:

I would have never traded a KM130 for a FS250! I have a KM85 and a bunch of attachments, all I can say one of the best investments in my life!

It might be true that the 250 has more power and is a true "amature brushcutter", but I might put it this way, it has the balls but not the antivib for true longterm brushcutting work! To be honest I only recognize this since I bought my Hitachi CG 40 EY T(on sale for the price of a Stihl FS 56!!!). The antivib is just so priceless if you have to work a little longer. And please don't tell me that you are any faster with a 250.

I used the same blade as above for an evil stoping of wild growth higher than all men that I know! It was such a joy. Buy something like that you'll not regret it!

Last edited:
I would have never traded a KM130 for a FS250! I have a KM85 and a bunch of attachments, all I can say one of the best investments in my life!

It might be true that the 250 has more power and is a true "amature brushcutter", but I might put it this way, it has the balls but not the antivib for true longterm brushcutting work! To be honest I only recognize this since I bought my Hitachi CG 40 EY T(on sale for the price of a Stihl FS 56!!!). The antivib is just so priceless if you have to work a little longer. And please don't tell me that you are any faster with a 250.

I used the same blade as above for an evil stoping of wild growth higher than all men that I know! It was such a joy. Buy something like that you'll not regret it!

Well I thought I would really like the KM130 but never did grow to like it as much as my older traditional 2-stroke trimmers - so it sat most of the time and I used them. I have read about FS250 vibrations and have only run this one about 20 minutes (had just finished my yard a week before I got it, so didn't have much to use it on), but I didn't really notice any difference in vibes between it and the KM130 or the Shindaiwa T230 or the Husqvarna 326. I guess I'll just have to see. I typically don't run a trimmer over an hour at a time regardless. I'm glad for you that you like the 130 so much, but I didn't. And maybe I'm wrong, but the 130 I had sure didn't feel near as strong as the FS250. I typically don't time myself trimming grass, so I wouldn't know whether I am faster or not with the FS250.

Waylan

Waylan

to be clear, did you get the FS250 (with bike handlebars) or the FS250c with the loop handle?

I think I may have found an FS250 used for a great deal. Big step up from the old ryobi I run for most everything now.

Congratulations on getting a fine machine. By the way, it takes 4-5 ft grass or 2" limbs to really slow a fs250 down. The vibes only get to you after an hour of continued use. If I'm gonna run mine that long, I just use AV gloves. For most city lawns it's way, way overkill, but sure does put a priceless smile on the face.

Well I thought I would really like the KM130 but never did grow to like it as much as my older traditional 2-stroke trimmers - so it sat most of the time and I used them. I have read about FS250 vibrations and have only run this one about 20 minutes (had just finished my yard a week before I got it, so didn't have much to use it on), but I didn't really notice any difference in vibes between it and the KM130 or the Shindaiwa T230 or the Husqvarna 326. I guess I'll just have to see. I typically don't run a trimmer over an hour at a time regardless. I'm glad for you that you like the 130 so much, but I didn't. And maybe I'm wrong, but the 130 I had sure didn't feel near as strong as the FS250. I typically don't time myself trimming grass, so I wouldn't know whether I am faster or not with the FS250.

Waylan

Waylan

What I like about the kombi units are their attachments. Having the possibility of exchanging brushcutter to chainsaw to hedgetrimmer and back is just so fantastic for me. If you have no need of any of these then I completely agree that a kombi KM 130 is the wrong arrow in your quiver.

I just "layed away" the last FS 250 my #1 dealer had in stock..He looked and his distributor has none left.

He has already received two FS 240's...and has sold them both...what 'sucks' is they're a larger size motor.

Lower in cc's..and just a "kiss" more horsepower...17%+ in weight from 13.9lbs to 16.3 lbs...Yes it's a strato..!!

He said the only improvement that he liked was the choke lever was in a place less likely to breakage.

I asked which you buy...he said for sure the FS 250...because of the BIG weight increase mostly...2.5 lbs. is a lot..!!

Sooo..."I had to pull the trigger"..!!
:cheers:
J2F

As I go out to look at this FS250 this afternoon, is there anything I should be aware of specific to these models? I am taking a fresh batch of mix, and will run it for as long as the seller will tolerate to check out running characteristics and problems.

Thanks!

I really like my FS 250. I've had it for 9 years now. I brush cut/clear my shooting lanes in the woods with it, as well as trimming around the yard.

One thing that I never appreciated (and still don't) is the handles. They invariably always get pushed down. I went through one tightening mechanism (don't know what else to call it) already, and I'm afraid to really reaf on this current one that I have on there. So, every few minutes of use it seems I have to pull the handles back up into place.

Anybody else notice this?

to be clear, did you get the FS250 (with bike handlebars) or the FS250c with the loop handle?

I think I may have found an FS250 used for a great deal. Big step up from the old ryobi I run for most everything now.

I got the FS250R. It's the one with the loop handle instead of the bike handlebars. I'd like to have one of each, but in the end I enjoy running the loop handle over the bike handlebars.

I know different people have different tolerance for vibes - when I first got my MS440 chainsaw I thought the vibes were noticeable, but I don't notice any more. Maybe it's because I'm wearing leather gloves most of the time now?

Regardless - if I do notice vibes on the FS250, I will try it with gloves. I clear deer lanes with a trimmer as well - will be doing some clearing here in the next month or so and will report back. It's pretty amazing to feel like there's not much that will slow it down - big difference from any other trimmer I have used.

To 7sleeper, after I purchased the KM130, I later bought a backpack blower because the local dealer had a great deal plus the house we moved to a year ago has probably 100 trees on 4.5 acres = lots of leaves. Although the KM blower attachment works pretty good, it's no match for a good backpack blower. I also don't have any edging to do any more, so it was just being used as a trimmer. I also have a gas hedge trimmer, so no need for that attachment. I believe you are also actually adding a small amount of weight with the coupler - probably not enough to make any difference though. Anyway, with them being discontinued, I would no longer be able to go buy the legendary FS250. I feel like I made a good decision for me with my needs, but that's just my opinion. I do feel there is a big power difference, but I could be wrong :msp_wink:

Waylan

I got the FS250R. It's the one with the loop handle instead of the bike handlebars. I'd like to have one of each, but in the end I enjoy running the loop handle over the bike handlebars.

I know different people have different tolerance for vibes - when I first got my MS440 chainsaw I thought the vibes were noticeable, but I don't notice any more. Maybe it's because I'm wearing leather gloves most of the time now?

Regardless - if I do notice vibes on the FS250, I will try it with gloves. I clear deer lanes with a trimmer as well - will be doing some clearing here in the next month or so and will report back. It's pretty amazing to feel like there's not much that will slow it down - big difference from any other trimmer I have used.

To 7sleeper, after I purchased the KM130, I later bought a backpack blower because the local dealer had a great deal plus the house we moved to a year ago has probably 100 trees on 4.5 acres = lots of leaves. Although the KM blower attachment works pretty good, it's no match for a good backpack blower. I also don't have any edging to do any more, so it was just being used as a trimmer. I also have a gas hedge trimmer, so no need for that attachment. I believe you are also actually adding a small amount of weight with the coupler - probably not enough to make any difference though. Anyway, with them being discontinued, I would no longer be able to go buy the legendary FS250. I feel like I made a good decision for me with my needs, but that's just my opinion. I do feel there is a big power difference, but I could be wrong :msp_wink:

Waylan

I see it as you do, everyone has different needs. For my leaves I only use the lawntrator with mulching blades. I know my yard is far from perfect but that is ok for me. Has a second positive effect it's like "leave blasting" the deck clean. No more cleaning needed before stowing away over the winter. :D

Soo...what's the problem..??
J2F

One would assume that pulling the cap off would be easy and straight-forward.

First off, the top of the engine cover has a spark plug shroud molded into it, that makes guys with big fingers really angry. Second, there's a coiled spring inside the spark plug cap that grips the cap that screws onto the spark plug itself.

I had to take a small bladed screw driver and insert it into the engine cover opening and force the spring off the top of the spark plug. You should NEVER have to do that!!

And, to make matters even more frustrating, I had to take a screw driver to the air cleaner cover to force it off. Again, you should not have to use any tool to do that. The design / quality of the air filter cover does not impress me at all. I see it degrading quickly after maybe a few years of removing it to access / clean the filter.

After I did get the cover off, I discovered that the air filter itself, had been installed incorrectly at the factory, and several of the pleats of the paper filter were folded over. I did my best to reshape them, and they're not perfect, but at least they are now better than when I discovered them.

You discover things like this when you garage test new equipment. :msp_tongue:

First off...thanks for the reply...'dano'

When I go to pick up my 'layed-away'.. FS 250..in a few weeks (100 miles trip)...

I'll be sure sure to check this out..!! - I'll just let 'my contact' there (owner's son and cool dude)...

show me how to remove the covering and pull the plug cap (will also check out the air filter pleats)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There have been many posts on AS about the FS 250 and nobody has spoken of the problems you describe..??

So...I guess time will tell...when I go to pick it up and see the demonstration of getting to and removing the plug cap.
J2F

First off...thanks for the reply...'dano'

When I go to pick up my 'layed-away'.. FS 250..in a few weeks (100 miles trip)...

I'll be sure sure to check this out..!! I'll just let 'my contact' there (owner's son and cool dude)...

show me how to remove the covering and pull the plug cap (will also check out the air filter pleats)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There have been many posts on AS about the FS 250 and nobody has spoken of the problems you describe..??

So...I guess time will tell...when I go to pick it up and see the demonstration of getting to and removing the plug cap.
J2F

I wanted to order some extra spark plugs to have on hand. The owner's manual didn't specify the plug number. That's why I had to remove the plug cap.

I also wanted to see what kind of air filter was hiding under the cover. It's like a miniature car filter. Both my truck and car have one like it, only much bigger. I like having extra air filters on hand as well.

One other little tip. I always use anti-seize compound on the spark plug threads. That's another reason why I wanted the spark plug out. It saves a lot of hassle and grief a few years down the road, when you need to change out a spark plug and find it corroded in the head.

I also always take out the spark plug on brand new equipment and use some copper antisieze. Just this paranoic precaution... :D

I've had my FS250 for about a year give or take a few. I put the Brushcutter on it. Took me awhile to get the correct filing to sharpen the blade. The dealer had lots of Stihl comfort harnesses in stock, as he supplies the state park employees with brush rigs. It is a little different from the ones advertised, and less expensive too.
This is a pic right after I got it........
attachment.php

Back