Stihl FS250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All this talk of the FS-250 brig discontinued has me wanting to get another one in case something happens to mine.

Am curious to see if the dealer has any left.....

Wonder if it'll be like the 200T and go for ridiculous prices in the future?

And yea, the plug wire is a little hard to get off by hand, but it can be done.

The air filter cover always came off easily enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

All this talk of the FS-250 brig discontinued has me wanting to get another one in case something happens to mine.

Am curious to see if the dealer has any left.....

Wonder if it'll be like the 200T and go for ridiculous prices in the future?

And yea, the plug wire is a little hard to get off by hand, but it can be done.

The air filter cover always came off easily enough for me.
It's not like....it's 'being discontinued"...it already HAS been discontinued..!!

I'm buying the last one my dealer 'had'...he's already sold two of the new FS 240's

Meager 0.15 increase in power and an additional ~ 2.5 pounds in weight..because it's now a 'strato' motor
(13.9 to 16.4 lb.)

If you want one you better get there fast...as the remaining few that dealers have will be bought up quickly..!!

As for the 200T thing....I wouldn't be a bit surprised..!!
:cheers:
J2F

Rdiculous prices in the future ....I doubt it.
Well..I wouldn't think so either...but the "consumer public".... can and do 'fickle' things at times..!!

Like I wouldn't have thought the 200T would go up so much..If I had..I'd have bought all the dealers had..!!

The FS 250 has the reputation (like the 200T) and 2.5 lbs. heavier is serious on a rather heavy trimmer to start with.

AND..the fact that they're no longer in production..and the 240 only has 0.15 increase in power..could drive things..??

Also my dealer checked the distributor to see if they had any more in stock...nope...only the new 240 available now.

He ordered two and has sold them both...folks just go nuts over stuff being discontinued....like the MS 440..!!
J2F

Last edited:
The fact that the FS-250 has been discontinued, was one of the factors that made me decide to go ahead and buy one.......while I still could.

Mine is the R model which has the loop handle. I prefer that over the bicycle style handle, at least for now. I was able to buy some OEM spark plugs (NGK) on E-bay, for less than 1/2 of what they sell for locally. I've got four of them enroute. Gonna order two OEM air filters today while in town, to have on hand.

So far, no buyer's remorse yet. I thought long and hard about buying one, so I think I'm gonna be okay. Now, gotta get my FS-44 listed on Craig's List and get it sold.

The fact that the FS-250 has been discontinued, was one of the factors that made me decide to go ahead and buy one.......while I still could.

Mine is the R model which has the loop handle. I prefer that over the bicycle style handle, at least for now. I was able to buy some OEM spark plugs (NGK) on E-bay, for less than 1/2 of what they sell for locally. I've got four of them enroute. Gonna order two OEM air filters today while in town, to have on hand.

So far, no buyer's remorse yet. I thought long and hard about buying one, so I think I'm gonna be okay. Now, gotta get my FS-44 listed on Craig's List and get it sold.

I'm sure the regular handle is adequate, but even with the bicycle handles you've got a lot of torque to contend with when in thick stuff.

OEM spark plugs on ALL Stihl products are always Bosch...Not NGK...but NGK makes maybe the better plug..IMHO..??

I hope you ordered the right plug..!! You can 'google' spark plug interchange or spark plug reference guide to check.
J2F

Last edited:
I'll second the opinion this won't command the same NOS dollars the 200T brings. Consider the user's consumers of the 250,either large lco operating lots everyday or the guy who appreciates the power for a machine that gets used seldom, but when required there's is no real substitute. Think about the guy using the 200T in a tree, most likely earning the money to pay for it in one day. Mostly likely the people using the 250, use them as supplemental tools to other machines, or there employer supplies them.

Honestly, soon as the FS94 comes out, the demand for a 2 stroke trimmer, will come off the 250, currently the only pro 2 stroke model.

The FS94's manual is already listed on the USA website for specs. 1.2 hp, 10.8 lbs, 2 stroke.

I'll second the opinion this won't command the same NOS dollars the 200T brings. Consider the user's consumers of the 250,either large lco operating lots everyday or the guy who appreciates the power for a machine that gets used seldom, but when required there's is no real substitute. Think about the guy using the 200T in a tree, most likely earning the money to pay for it in one day. Mostly likely the people using the 250, use them as supplemental tools to other machines, or there employer supplies them.

Honestly, soon as the FS94 comes out, the demand for a 2 stroke trimmer, will come off the 250, currently the only pro 2 stroke model

The FS94's manual is already listed on the USA website for specs. 1.2 hp, 10.8 lbs, 2 stroke.
Sorry..could you supply specs..on the FS94..I suffer from 'DOM'...(dumb old man) disease..computer delinquent.

This sounds like a real winner for Stihl and folks wanting a small powerful and fairly lightweight 2-stroke.

And the price..??
J2F

OEM spark plugs on ALL Stihl products are always Bosch...Not NGK...but NGK makes maybe the better plug..IMHO..??

I hope you ordered the right plug..!! You can 'google' spark plug interchange or spark plug reference guide to check.
J2F

My dam dealer has been switching my plugs out with NGK then. Nah. They've been using NGK or Bosch for as long as I remember. I get some with NGK and some with Bosch. My latest two are NGK.

My dam dealer has been switching my plugs out with NGK then. Nah. They've been using NGK or Bosch for as long as I remember. I get some with NGK and some with Bosch. My latest two are NGK.
Then it's "crow again" for the fat chicken..pretty much my steady diet lately...:cry:

Folks have been sending me recipes to try to mix things up...Cajun...Italian pizza...BBQ...Mexican taco's...etc.

I really thought Stihl owned at least a big part of Bosch and that was why they specifically used Bosch plugs.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zogger's... (fat crow roast with possum chitin's)...is my favorite so far..!!

If McDonalds offered the "McCrow" on the menu.....guess I'd be the first in line..just a convenience..

J2F

Last edited:

J2F

Yes, that's what I thought about Bosch plugs being standard in Stihl equipment.

But, it was indeed, an NGK that came out of my FS-250R. Was I surprised? Heck yes I was. Also surprised that the owner's manual didn't address the brand of spark plug or the specific plug being used as OEM.

I like NGK as well as any spark plug. I ordered four more of the same plug that came out of my FS-250R.

BTW, Bosch plugs came in all of the chain saws that I bought.

Almost forget, my local Ace Hardware store had OEM air filters in-stock for my FS-250R. And......they were about $1.50 cheaper ea., than what the local dedicated STIHL dealer quoted me. I bought all that they had in stock. That amounted to two. :msp_thumbup:

Last edited:
Yes, that's what I thought about Bosch plugs being standard in Stihl equipment.

But, it was indeed, an NGK that came out of my FS-250R. Was I surprised? Heck yes I was. Also surprised that the owner's manual didn't address the brand of spark plug or the specific plug being used as OEM.

I like NGK as well as any spark plug. I ordered four more of the same plug that came out of my FS-250R.

BTW, Bosch plugs came in all of the chain saws that I bought.
Yeah..really a "curve ball" on the NGK plugs..!! - I run them in all my Harleys exclusively. - NGK plugs..:rock:

You surely can't go wrong if you ordered the same plug number that came with it.

And thanks for the reply..!!
J2F

Yeah..really a "curve ball" on the NGK plugs..!! - I run them in all my Harleys exclusively. - NGK plugs..:rock:

You surely can't go wrong if you ordered the same plug number that came with it.

And thanks for the reply..!!
J2F

I've used NGK's for over 44 yrs. or so. Never had an issue of any kind with them. Also found them to be some-what more anti-foul resistant.

I have a 2003 BMW motorcycle. It came with Bosch Platinum plugs. They were very expensive to replace. So, I replaced them with NGK's and never looked back.

Also run NGK's in my dirt bikes. :rock:

I've used NGK's for over 44 yrs. or so. Never had an issue of any kind with them. Also found them to be some-what more anti-foul resistant.

I have a 2003 BMW motorcycle. It came with Bosch Platinum plugs. They were very expensive to replace. So, I replaced them with NGK's and never looked back.

Also run NGK's in my dirt bikes. :rock:
Wow..!! Over 44 yrs...!! - I somehow thought you were a 20 something year old dude..

How old are you...just out of curiosity... I'm 66..

Not that I'd believe you anyway - you know my profession...LOL..!!..:msp_wink:
J2F

Last edited:
Wow..!! Over 44 yrs...!! - I somehow thought you were a 20 something year old dude..

How old are you...just out of curiosity... I'm 66..

Not that I'd believe you anyway - you know my profession...LOL..!!..:msp_wink:
J2F

I turn 59 this October, but people swear that I only look 58. :msp_tongue:

I have four of the fs 250. I have been searching but haven't seen anywhere else that they have discontinued this model. I asked my local stihl dealer today and he didn't know about it. I had also checked out stihl website but couldn't find anything. Is there a reason they always discontinue the things that work?

I have four of the fs 250. I have been searching but haven't seen anywhere else that they have discontinued this model. I asked my local stihl dealer today and he didn't know about it. I had also checked out stihl website but couldn't find anything. Is there a reason they always discontinue the things that work?
It's not actually a "discontinuation"..but rather a move to a newer model...if that makes any sense..??
(It's the 'usual suspects'...the EPA...and why they moved the model to a "strato" type..less pollution..type engine.

Most dealers don't stock $600 trimmers...you maybe can get one if in stock..or distributor has some..??

Actually..Stihl would like to get rid of this model altogether...but there's just folks that want a big 2-stoke trimmer.
(I think that this new 240 at 2.5 lbs. heavier will "weed some of them out"...(pun intended)..:msp_wink:

You can get the 2-stroke in all the pro brush-cutter models...but they start at $1150 and 18 lbs.
J2F

Last edited:
It's not actually a "discontinuation"..but rather a move to a newer model...if that makes any sense..??
(It's the 'usual suspects'...the EPA...and why they moved the model to a "strato" type..less pollution..type engine.

Most dealers don't stock $600 trimmers...you maybe can get one if in stock..or distributor has some..??

Actually..Stihl would like to get rid of this model altogether...but there's just folks that want a big 2-stoke trimmer.
(I think that this new 240 at 2.5 lbs. heavier will "weed some them out"...(pun intended)..:msp_wink:

You can get the 2-stroke in all the pro brush-cutter models...but they start at $1150 and 18 lbs.
J2F

That's another reason why I bought my FS-250R. Simplicity and pure ole power. :rock:

Back