Stihl fuel filter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flint Mitch

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I just got around to replacing the OEM fuel filter on my 028 super. When I first got it out I noticed it looked to be full of crud of some sort. When I pulled it apart to inspect, I found it was filled with foam. The one I replaced it with(purchased from Stihl dealer) does not have this in it, and is also noticeably lighter. The OEM had a weight in the tip to keep it submerged I guess. My question is should the new filter be filled with this foam also and maybe it was just forgotten? Should I be concerned about the new one not being weighted as much?
a5164945174456011b9e434a5c4ea309.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

New style filter is better. The foam sometimes melts from bad fuel and causes trouble in the carb inlet. Weight difference has not been an issue for my saws, but mine have newish fuel lines too. (not old stiff lines)

+1 on the foam melting. You end up with the gauze in the carb coated in yellow crud faster than you can keep it cleaned out. It took me a while to work out where it was coming from.
We've got the dreaded ethanol here in the UK now and the biodiesel is eating out the seals in my older tractors :angry:

Back