Stihl going to NGK plugs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I break it down into the simplest form. Remove the plug then
put the wire end back onto the plug and lay against the block
of the engine and then pull the rope. If no spark, then try a new
plug, if no spark then, a new coil

One would think that as simple of a concept and design of a
plug, they would spark no matter what. I have seen those
junk plugs from China, with only the word "Lawnmower"
on the ceramic, not produce a spark right from the box, so what
and where the breakdown occurs at on them is unknown.
On the better plugs, when they fail, they can usually be reused
by sticking them into a wire wheel on the grinder, meaning that
they must be coated by a conductive residue, probably from
using premium fuel.
I do not do this to plugs as a regular practice, I just pop in a
new one.

spark plugs

I wonder because of the simple design of the spark plug, that problems some have with different brands, is not the plugs fault, but possible mis-application of the manufacturer. What I mean is the application guide(catalog) may not be specing the correct plug for the intended use, wrong heat range, electrode depth, etc.

It's a good point Dave, I wonder how many people also actually
check the gap on new plugs. I'm sure that it doesn't
matter that much, and I'm sure that my plug choice doesn't
matter that much either. I don't really care what anyone else
uses either for that matter. My new plug of choice is going to be
Motorcraft, no wait, AC Delco sounds better. Hopefully made in
Canada.

I got a little lesson from the service manager at the local Ford dealers several years back. He didn't like Champion spark plugs.

We went to the trash can and picked out several discarded plugs, all brands. He started breaking apart plugs, (now here is where you gatta pay attention)At least half of the Champions broken aparts had a coiled spring in them that was supposed to make contact between the center electrode and the cap, many of them were burned in two and were just rattling around in there causing the ignition to have to jump a big gap. Other brands of plugs were made with a solid rod (resester element)welded up thru there.

I do not know if Chanpion still makes plugs this way. That was 20 years ago. That is the only trouble I ever had with plugs (early 80s)I use champions today just because they are the easiest to get.

Tony: If you tuned your radio off station you could pick up the rf created when the spark jumped that gap. I seem to remember something about Champion having left that design behind and no more trouble. The proper heat range for your particular operating conditions is what counts not brand.

Frank

Does Bosch make the Platinum +4 in the size for chainsaws, if so, is it worth it to use 'em On my old truck, they sure made a difference.

Hey, What about the Spitfires? I thought for sure many of you would be using them. Aren't they up to 4 or 5 electrodes these days?

No problems yet with Champions. I even have many in old saws that are who knows how old and work just fine. Champions are good in equipment that isnt properly tuned as I think Fish said. They don't foul as easy as others. NGK's will foul very badly in too rich mixture conditions. So I would think as long as your equipment is running right most any plug will do the job.

plugs

Mine is an old prejudice, dating back to 056's that had Champions from the factory and hesitated on acceleration. All fixed by putting in a Bosch plug.
Are they better now? Could be. But the Bosch has served me well for 20 years, so I will stay with it.
However, If I think I have a spark problem, the FIRST thing I will do is try another plug. That thing has to throw a good spark 14000 times a minute. Not much room for error.

Back