Stihl guys, I need your opinions please.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find this post interesting I just have my 028 (16")for the big stuff and 017 (12")for limbing. Never felt the need for anything bigger. What am I missing.

What you are missing is the difference in just getting it done and getting it done with a big grin on your face. You should go to the next GTG that's within a few hour's drive and run some larger saws for comparison. Will be bad on your wallet, but your quality of life in the woods will rise exponentially.

Ian

OK, so I have spent the last 2 evening searching the archives for my answer and still don't have a good one, so I am asking what is probably a repeat question.

I have a Stihl 025 that I have had for about 4 years. Works great and never really had a problem with it other than needing tune-ups and using it to cut bigger than it was designed for. It has a 18" bar on it.

I am looking to get a bigger saw now that I am cutting for my wood burner, and ideally, would like to get one that can run at least a 20", if not 24" bar. I do not want to be lugging around some huge saw as far as weight is concerned, as I will be doing this part time and am not a full time cutter. Not sure if I will trade the 025 in, or just keep it for an extra (more likely to keep it). I cannot spend a ton of money (about $600 max), and am just looking for the best power to weight ratio saw that has the cutting capacity (24" +/) I am looking for.

I was looking at a 031, and may stay there, but wanted more options. All I know is it will be a Stihl, and probably brand new. Thoughts?

zh

I have an 026, thought it too small for feeding my wood stove, so bought a 361.....great addition...it is perfect for a 20" bar....Use it all the time for bigger logs.....I use the 026 as my secondary saw as the 361 is well balanced and relatively light. bob

what you are missing is the difference in just getting it done and getting it done with a big grin on your face. You should go to the next gtg that's within a few hour's drive and run some larger saws for comparison. Will be bad on your wallet, but your quality of life in the woods will rise exponentially.

Ian

gtg???

OK, so I have spent the last 2 evening searching the archives for my answer and still don't have a good one, so I am asking what is probably a repeat question.

I have a Stihl 025 that I have had for about 4 years. Works great and never really had a problem with it other than needing tune-ups and using it to cut bigger than it was designed for. It has a 18" bar on it.

I am looking to get a bigger saw now that I am cutting for my wood burner, and ideally, would like to get one that can run at least a 20", if not 24" bar. I do not want to be lugging around some huge saw as far as weight is concerned, as I will be doing this part time and am not a full time cutter. Not sure if I will trade the 025 in, or just keep it for an extra (more likely to keep it). I cannot spend a ton of money (about $600 max), and am just looking for the best power to weight ratio saw that has the cutting capacity (24" +/) I am looking for.

I was looking at a 031, and may stay there, but wanted more options. All I know is it will be a Stihl, and probably brand new. Thoughts?

zh

A 310 works very well. I have had mine for several years and really like it. The 361 seems to be a good saw. But is an additional $200 worth it? Cutting every day - maybe. Once and a while - I think I would keep the $200 and save up for a real saw -660, once the saw bug really bites me. The 025 will be your friend when the day gets long and the saws get heavy.

My dealer talks about saws he has sold lasting 20 years - with proper care.

Hal

To power through the large cuts with a 24+ bar 70cc + is the right tool.
If your budget isn't enough a Makita 6401 is not bad with a 24" bar and can be upgraded to the 7900 if you find you need more power.
If you can get a good used 044 its handling feels more like a lighter saw then other saws in that catogory. Of course bigger is better for power and if your using the logs its easiar to cut the trunks off with out splits with plenty of power, so then I'd consider an 046-460 or similar.

A 310 works very well. I have had mine for several years and really like it. The 361 seems to be a good saw. But is an additional $200 worth it? Cutting every day - maybe. Once and a while - I think I would keep the $200 and save up for a real saw -660, once the saw bug really bites me. The 025 will be your friend when the day gets long and the saws get heavy.

My dealer talks about saws he has sold lasting 20 years - with proper care.

Hal

And this is my dilemma. In talking to one of my local dealers, he said the same thing. He said the 310 or even the 390 if I want a bit more power (and it will run up to a 25" bar per Stihl) would be just as good as a 361 in my case because I am not cutting on a daily basis or doing it commercially. I will cut, maybe, once a week for a couple of hours or even all day depending on my current supply needs. The difference in the size and power of the saws mentioned are minor, but the $200 difference between a 'pro' saw and a 'mid-range' saw to me isn't. I hope my ego isn't so big that I am willing to pay the extra just so I can say I have a 'pro' saw. Sheesh, I am using a 025 now and quite happy except for the occasional instance when the bar isn't long enough. If I were to come across a used 361, 440, or bigger and it was a great deal, than heck yeah I'm going to jump on it! But do I really need to go there right now? Not sure.

zh

Last edited:
And this is my dilemma. In talking to one of my local dealers, he said the same thing. He said the 310 or even the 390 if I want a bit more power (and it will run up to a 25" bar per Stihl) would be just as good as a 361 in my case because I am not cutting on a daily basis or doing it commercially. I will cut, maybe, once a week for a couple of hours or even all day depending on my current supply needs. The difference in the size and power of the saws mentioned are minor, but the $200 difference between a 'pro' saw and a 'mid-range' saw to me isn't. I hope my ego isn't so big that I am willing to pay the extra just so I can say I have a 'pro' saw. Sheesh, I am using a 025 now and quite happy except for the occasional instance when the bar isn't long enough. If I were to come across a used 361, 440, or bigger and it was a great deal, than heck yeah I'm going to jump on it! But do I really need to go there right now? Not sure.

zh

If you were burning with a wood stove, I would say go ahead and get the 310 or 390. I used to cut about 8-10 cords per year with a 290 and it served me well. The only difference that would matter between my example and your situation is that I was cutting softwoods.

What type of OWB do you have and how much do you plan on cutting each year? Is it all hardwood?

Post up those answers and someone in a similar situation should be able to tell you what works for them.

If you were burning with a wood stove, I would say go ahead and get the 310 or 390. I used to cut about 8-10 cords per year with a 290 and it served me well. The only difference that would matter between my example and your situation is that I was cutting softwoods.

What type of OWB do you have and how much do you plan on cutting each year? Is it all hardwood?

Post up those answers and someone in a similar situation should be able to tell you what works for them.

I do not know cord consumption yet, as the stove, a Heatmor 100, will be set on the pad and hooked up in about a month, but I am guessing around 8-10 to start until I get the hang of it. I will be cutting hardwoods for the most part, with lots of osage (hedge), and locust thrown in since I am cleaning out some overgrown pastures that have set idle of 25-30 years.

zh

If you are going to cut 24" logs, just take your 361 w/20" bar and cut it from two sides. It will do the job well WITHOUT the longer bar. I have had mine for a couple of months, and I have done several logs over 24 inches with nothing but a happy ending.

If you can afford it, go with a pro-level saw. You are always ahead of the game by doing it. :clap:

A sale price on the MS 361 might be right on $600. The 361 will pull a 20" and will also pull a 25" to 28" occasionally for felling whoppers. Personally, I would save up and get that one over any saw being sold today. I think the HP-to-weight ratio and versatility of the 361 beats about any chainsaw that exists.

Stihl MS 361 Rocks!
Except for a Dolmar 7900... Did I really say that?:greenchainsaw:

The 361 would be a good saw for you. Advanced anti vibe, 4.4 HP stock, 15 lb with a 20 inch bar and chain. There's a lot to like on that saw

I bought one yesterday for $579:chainsaw:
:greenchainsaw:

zh

I was in your shoes about a year and a half ago. I bought a 290 (same family as 310 and 390) and cut with it for 9 months. It's a decent saw and served me well, but the vibrations really got to me (maybe I'm a little more sensitive). The long cutting sessions were also tiring with the that saw (it's actually heavier than the specifications say). Heavy saws are fine for bucking in a clear lot, but they aren't so good for bucking treetops and in the bush. Holding a heavy saw at different angles makes for shorter cutting sessions :( .

The 361 solved my vibration discomfort, and the lighter saw allows me to work longer. As always, YMMV.

I had a 310 until someone else decided that they needed it more than I did, so just this january I went and got myself a 441, LOVE IT!!! have a 25" bar, which is good for most of what I will l be cutting, but still have enough power on the saw to go a bit bigger if I feel the need:clap:

Alright, I'm convinced.

I talked to my best friend's brother this weekend, who is a logger in my area, and he strongly recommended the 361. He said if for nothing else (more power, a rebuildable motor if it ever needs it, better bar capacity), he said the anti-vibe will allow me a lot more cutting time and I won't feel completely spent when I am done. As I mentioned, between all of you and the people locally, I am convinced the 361 is the way to go. Now I just need to look for the best price I can get here locally.

Thanks or all your help. I do appreciate it. :cheers:

zh

You talk about what you want, but you don't say anything about the actual diameter you are cutting. Vague about quantities as well. Cord estimate would be usefull (per year).

Unless you need that long bar, then MS270 or MS280 would do you just fine.

I cut like you talk, once a week on and off most of the winter, upwards of 24 inches, but a lot of 4-12 inch mostly. If I run into the large stuff, I just cut from both sides (I have 18 inch bar as its handier, and I could probably get by with 16, but I often cut multiple rounds at the same time so the 18 is a good compromise.

I have had the MS270 for 3 years now and its doing terrific.

It has the latest anti vibration system and you can't beat it, zero feedback, absolutely none.

Cost is around $400 for the MS270 with a 20 inch bar. A bit more the MS280, or if it works, a bit less than 400 for the 270 with 18 inch.

I have money issues as well and did a lot of research to fine tune the saw to the need, then went one size up. No regrets at all. The MS361 sounds like a great saw, but I would never see the use put out for the extra money.

Latest posts

Back