Stihl has stolen my source of cheap bar oil ‼

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was at Menards today... $4.86

2615971_updated.jpg

Ooh...I think that's the cheapest price we've seen in a long time.
That ain't even a sale price... that's the regular everyday price (it says $4.99 on-line for the Mason City store, but it's always priced $4.86 on the shelf).
I bought a jug on sale a while back and (if I'm rememberin' right) it was $3.99. I found that jug under a bench a couple days ago, ain't even opened it yet so I can't say anything about it from experience... yet. I did some inventory and found 2 full gallons, 3 half-full gallons :rolleyes:, and the gallon gas can I use for pouring it in the saw is near full. Seems every time I fill that little spouted can I set the ½ full jug someplace different.

I was at Menards today... $4.86

2615971_updated.jpg
That's what I've been using, the Menards oil. This Cam2 brand is new this year though, haven't been into that yet.
This summer I was using some Husky saw brand oil that I got in a deal I made with one of the local Husky sales reps on a used saw. Worked very well for the summer cutting(bucking) because it is so thick n sticky

Oh‼ Update...
I was a Menards lookin' for the Husqvarna roller guide the local fleet store no longer carries. Menards didn't have it but they did have a chain loop for the el-cheap-o pole saw. Then I ran down to Tractor Supply... they had them, only they were packaged in Jonsered colors rather than Husqvarna. They even had one for the narrow curf, 3/8 low profile mini used on the pole saw... so... well... I was there, and they had 'em both. Not that I really need some sort'a guide to file an 8-inch bar... but hey...

Thanks!! Did I read this right? Now I know what to do with those little gas cans that I hate so much..

I did some inventory and found 2 full gallons, 3 half-full gallons :rolleyes:, and the gallon gas can I use for pouring it in the saw is near full. Seems every time I fill that little spouted can I set the ½ full jug someplace different.

Thanks!! Did I read this right? Now I know what to do with those little gas cans that I hate so much..

I don't think you really read it or understood correctly, because I know for sure Spidey would not have one of those new fangled protection gas can pouring spout containers! Those are way to new and complex for him. Besides, I can't imagine listening to all of the cursing when trying to use one of these infamous "no spill" safety containers.:laugh: ;)

I hate the epa gas cans. I have a couple old 2 gallon Chilton cans I got on Ebay. Should be good for years on the small cans.

I got replacement spouts with vents you can drill & set for the 5 gallon cans.

I can relate to those new type cans. I liked this one for the longer spout. But you can see what I really thought if it after trying it the one time.. ;-)
I think it will work great for my oil..

GasCan.jpg

Yep, I use a 1-gallon like the one with the yellow spout in your picture for bar 'n' chain oil... bought it years ago strictly for the purpose of bar oil. Works real slick, easy to manage, no missin' the hole and spillin'... not even a drop.

By-the-way, I bought a bunch of those yellow vents like's on that can off Ebay a while back.
Easy to install, just drill the hole (I hold the container upside down so the chips and such don't end up in the can) and pop it in with a rubber mallet. They make any un-vented, no-spill plastic container into a vented can of yesteryear... still ain't found the ideal way to modify the spouts yet though.

Here's a link to the guy's Ebay store... you can get all sorts of 'em... I did the 15 for $9.00 and free shipping.
http://stores.ebay.com/ElisGeneralStore-LLC?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

I grease my bar tip sprockets all the time. Some say the oil on the chain is enough. But I do it anyway. Not had any tip sprocket failures yet.
I do too, but this bar didn't have a hole to grease it.

Go ahead, call me a redneck. :) The utility company was replacing poles near my parents place, about 7 miles away. I needed 3 poles about 20' long to replace the ones that I have that I use to hoist deer up off the ground to hang. They said that it was first come-first serve for the used poles. I have a 12' trailer, so I'd winch it on the trailer, cut the fat end to 20' and take it home, one at a time. On the last pole, last trip is when the sprocket failed.

I had the pole on the trailer and no way to cut the end off.....

Good thing I was on the back roads, ratchet strapped it to the trailer tight and headed for home, dragging the end all the way home........... On those 7 miles I never saw another vehicle on the road. I was surprised at how little was worn off the tip of the pole.

Bought a 1 gallon jug of Stihl bar oil this morning for 11.95. Have some TSC bar oil that I paid around 6.00 but the stihl oil just seems to last longer and stays on chain better than the cheap oils I have tried.

thank god I have a husky dealer only and a stihl dealer both within 5 miles of my location. I always use the 1 gal of husky bar oil, in my stihl and husky saws. The only time I purchased anything but the saw stihl brand was at time of purchase I got extra extended warranty for buying a 6 pack of stihl 2 stroke oil. LOL

Spidy, I was out yesterday cutting my Ash off so I just checked the postings.. THANKS! for the link with the vent caps. Not shown in my one picture was the other jugs that I drill in vent holes and cover them with Duct tape. I'll bet that seller will be going crazy for the next few days. He should send you a free gift.. ;-)

Thanks Again,

John

same here at the tsc store we got jred oil and country line which is onsale for 6.99

Back