STIHL HD2 air filter for MS460 worth the money?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I built an 066 a while back, and installed a near new, freshly cleaned HD air filter and tuned it to 12.5K. Out of curiosity, slapped on a freshly cleaned HD2 filter, checked it with the tach and it was at 13.5K without any carb adjustments.

Based on my non-scientific test, it sure appears to me the HD2 flows more air. Ive swapped all my stihls over to em, and I havent had any problems with fines or anything, but I dont use a saw 8 hours a day either. Results may vary.....

The HD2's are certainly good filters and in my book have put them ahead of the Husky's filtration (sadly :( ) with certain timber species. I actually find the dry paper elements far easier to clean as well unlike the flock style filters. A couple of taps against something hard and they tend to shed most of the dust, a flocked filter in my experience doesn't.
Apart from the air injection component (which I'm not a fan of in our hardwoods) they are every bit as good as the Dolmar HD setup.
Just don't ever oil them or they'll be stuffed for life...

now i get them for $20 and i dion't have any fines probs as yet found a good supplier

Depends on the conditions that your cutting in. I'd say where you are the older HD filter will do fine. If your in dry very dusty conditions a HD2 filter is a must. Thats why Pro Stihl saws in Oz all come with them now. They filter the fine dry dust particles out much better (that's also why they clog up quicker, they're actually FILTERING it out of the air!!)

i always blow out my saws with compressed air every time i go out and cut,i notice blowing out the filters that the hd2 had a lot of fine particles in the pleats,it blew out no problem,my hd filter just had larger particles stuck to the felt,when you blow it out it doesnt seem to let air through it as easy as the hd2,i guess the engine air requirements also come into play on filter flow:confused:

I jumped on the HD2 bandwagon when they first came out too. Being in aus, i think mine costme somewhere around $80-$90. It is a better filter than the HD, and i find it easy to clean.

Mine didn't last very long though. The glue that holds the pleated (paper?) onto the plastic rings let go, so the pleating isn't sealing and is free to just wave around. It only took a few months. I've never been hard on them, just a light tap and a blow out with air like I do to all my filters. I ended up going back to the HD which while not as good of a filter does seem a lot more durable. Maybe I just got a bad one, but at those prices I'm not that keen to repeat the experiment.

Shaun
Just turned 1000 posts

I jumped on the HD2 bandwagon when they first came out too. Being in aus, i think mine costme somewhere around $80-$90. It is a better filter than the HD, and i find it easy to clean.

Mine didn't last very long though. The glue that holds the pleated (paper?) onto the plastic rings let go, so the pleating isn't sealing and is free to just wave around. It only took a few months. I've never been hard on them, just a light tap and a blow out with air like I do to all my filters. I ended up going back to the HD which while not as good of a filter does seem a lot more durable. Maybe I just got a bad one, but at those prices I'm not that keen to repeat the experiment.

Shaun
Just turned 1000 posts

Congrats on 1000 Shaun! I've also heard of a similiar issue with the odd Dolmar HD filter. It doesn't however seem to be a widespread problem though so don't give up on them just yet :)

Shaun
Just turned 1000 posts

Take it back to the dealer, they did have an issue with manufacturing them early, they replaced them under warranty as far as im aware. They are much better now.

I recently bought a new air filter for my trusty 460 from my Stihl dealer. When I bought my saw I bought a couple of filters so it has been a minute since I have had to buy one. The new filter sure doesn't appear to be as good as the old filter.....window screen comes to mind. When I showed my dealer my old filter they just shrugged it off and said this is the new style. Are people using these filters with good results? I am just not sure I am getting the same filtration as before. I always run a pre filter as well and got a new one to go with the new filter....
20220104_173020.jpg

Back