Stihl HP Ultra oil availability

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of alternatives. R-50 is great, Honda HP2 is great oil, Castrol Power RS TTS 2T, etc.

Wow Kevin I was just through there Had I known I would have dropped some off for ya!!!!!

I've been thinking about the oil switch (to synthetic) for a while...I guess I should have checked locally earlier, and spoke up earlier. Thanks for the thought man. :)

Kevin

It's hard to get people to buy full synthetic oil, or a higher grade product, when a lot of saws come in for service with waste oil, automatic transmission fluid
instead of bar oil. And we have a number of people ask what ratio of motor oil to gas they need to run, yes they really try and run 10w-30 as mix oil.
"I dumped the last of a quart of some motor oil in with some gas and my saw didn't want to run" is a typical conversation. We try and educate but, you can only do so much.

R50 has been recommended to me personally...

Kevin

it is good oil,,, I run it in my modified saws @ 40:1,,,,

ultra works well in them also!!!! Low smoke & great lubricity,,,

R-50 does smoke a bit more but it lubricates just as well.... JMHO

it is good oil,,, I run it in my modified saws @ 40:1,,,,

ultra works well in them also!!!! Low smoke & great lubricity,,,

R-50 does smoke a bit more but it lubricates just as well.... JMHO

Good stuff, thank ya.

Kevin

I just picked up 2 gal of Stihl bar oil for $6.22
they also carry all 3 of the mix oil orange, black and white bottles.
I bought a six pack of ultra couple weeks ago a 6 pack for $8.99 as I recall.
I still have 2 of the orange bottles left.

R-50 does smoke a bit more

I run R-50 at 40:1 also - don't notice a puff of smoke once the saw is up to temp. You burning AVGAS? Most of the saws I run are pumped up, so the extra $1/gal is cheap insurance for good fuel that won't go bad and resists detonation.

Klotz all the way, mang!

I want to switch from the regular HP oil to the HP Ultra oil. I just finished calling the 5 dealers that are 'local' to me (between 20 miles to 40 miles approx one-way) to see who has some in stock and to get prices. No one answered at 1 of the 5, and only 1 of the other 4 stocked Ultra oil. Anybody else have trouble getting Ultra oil locally?

Kevin

I saw 6 packs of ultra oil on ebay.

Just thought I'd post an update. I went to the one dealer who said he had one bottle of 1 gallon mix left...turns out it's a 'white' bottle of the old Stihl Universal 2-cycle oil (it was either the 2 or 2.5 gallon mix) :rolleyes:. Aside for that bottle, and a few 'orange' bottles of mix, there was no other Stihl products on the shelves...including saws. I didn't ask, but it looked to me like he was going out of business...I don't think I'll be back there. He was a nice fella though.

On Saturday, I was in the town where I had mentioned that I wouldn't be able to get to the Stihl shop during there Saturday hours...but I was able to make it and got a 6 pack of Ultra oil (and they have lots in stock). For the amount of cutting I do, I'm good for a while. And when I need more, I'll just plan to make other stops while in town.

I was going to order a gallon of Klotz R50, but don't have the cash for it right now to buy a gallon of it. Seems like the guys who use it most run ported saws and the extent of my saw mods are only muffler mods...so far...:).

Kevin

Latest posts

Back