Stihl hp ultra oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishermanmgv

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Used up my last bottel of orange stihl oil and am switching to stihl hp ultra silver bottle.
Anything I should be concerned about. Will i need to re-adjust carbs. Running thru ms660 ported and muff modded, ms362 stock and ms200t stock muffler screen removed.

No changes will be needed. Smart move imho, less carbon build up, ethanol inhibitor in Ultra, no downside whatever. I made the switch and will never go back to anything else. Especially now that I've been in several saws to compare the difference on those run on orange vs Ultra, the differecence in carbon build up is noticeable, especially on blowers that are not run wide open throttle. Had a Stihl 400 blower last week in the shop that had so much carbon build up on dino oil the piston top accumaltion was so great it was slapping the top of the cylinder. Cleaned the top of the piston and the crown of the jug, slapped it back together and it was fine, it had been run on dino for years at less than wot by a older gentleman, got him switched to Ultra.

The HP ultra is good oil. You should'nt have anything to worry about with the carbs. You never know until you start the saws though. Alot of things can change your tune, including changing oil brands.
I know when I changed over to Belray H1R that my saws leaned out ever so slightly.
Hp ultra is superior to the orange bottle stuff IMO.

Last edited:
I have got the two and a half gallon mix bottles. When mixed with the correct amount of gas what is the ratio? The bottle has 6.4 fl.oz.

A 6.4 oz bottle with 2.5 gallon is a 50:1 ratio, on my personal saws I mix a 6.4 oz bottle with 2 gallon just for added protection on the ported saws.

I have been using the Stihl hp Ultra for almost a year and a half and have had no problems. I use the 6.4 oz bottles, mix it 50:1 and just mixed my 8th can of fuel since I switched. When I have removed carbs or mufflers on saws that I have been running it in they have been well lubricated and clean.

The 2 saws that I had before I started using it weren't running so I can't comment on the carb adjustment question. If the mixture does need a little tweaking it's no big deal anyway.

Ultra has ethanol inhibitors?

I had no idea. I've been adding the Marine Sta bil recently since my local gas station starting selling ethanol laced gas. Maybe I do not need Stabil?

I had no idea. I've been adding the Marine Sta bil recently since my local gas station starting selling ethanol laced gas. Maybe I do not need Stabil?

Ultra has stabilizers in it so Stabil is not needed if you use your fuel fast enough.

I am sure the Ultra is an excellent product and I have run several gallons of Ultra mix through my saws. All of my saws run lean on the Ultra and the carbs have to be adjusted but that is minor. My biggest complaint is the fact it looks like straight gas in the can or the tank. I havent ever had a problem with carbon or fuel going stale so I cant see the pros outweighing the cons. When Stihl went to the red colored mix in the orange bottle I went to Husky low smoke again due to using red cans and the mix looking like straight gas in the can. The low smoke has a blue gray tint and is easy to recognize as a mix fuel. Most of my saws are close to 20 years old and still on their OEM P&C so I must be doing something right. I cut 75 to 100 cord of firewood a year as a side job and the odd removal job now and then as a hobby. Not bashing Ultra but Im done with the Stihl oil for now.

The only drawback of Ultra is the price compared to some other good oils. And the fumes give me a pounding headache.

The only drawback of Ultra is the price compared to some other good oils. And the fumes give me a pounding headache.

I agree with that. Both Echo oil and Ultra emit pretty harsh, acrid exhaust. They both work, but they are nasty. I still use Power Punch if I can find it, even though it's old school dino oil I like it and have never had any problems.

Back