Stihl & Husky answers where they're made

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky46cc

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, I recently decided I was going to find out once and for all, without any doubt, where every single Husky was made and where every single Stihl was made. (I like both brands, own both, and use both.) To make the results indisputable, I decided to contact each corporate office.

It only took one phone call to Stihl in Va. Beach to find out the answer: A nice guy named Mark said the following:
"All our smaller saws from the MS 170 to the MS 390 are made in Virginia Beach. There are two exceptions to that: The MS 200 and the MS 200T are made in Germany. All other saws, our larger saws, are made in Germany."

I spent two weeks trying to get an answer from Husky to this same question. Unfortunately, each rep (or dealer) I spoke with or emailed here in the USA gave conflicting info. The one single area of agreement was that the 235 was made at the Poulan factory in the U.S. I got different answers for all other models. One unpleasant Husky USA rep huffily asked me why was I asking so many questions and what was my purpose anyway. Finally, I emailed Husky in Sweden and wrote:

"I only have one question: What is the country of manufacture for each of Husqvarna's chains saws? I would like to know this for every model."

Promptly the next day, I got the following reply:

Dear Tom

On behalf of Ms Stenqvist, I appoligize if you have been unfortunate in
your contact with our company.

As you probably already know, we have many chainsaws in our product range.
Most of the Husqvarna chainsaws are manufactured in the USA and in Sweden.
Even though you only have one question, it is quite a large one and due to
lack of time, we can not list all of the places of manufacturing for each
model. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

/Margaretha Finnstedt Möller
------------------------------

BTW, I'm NOT casting aspersions on the quality of Husky! Good saws. That's indisputable and I really like mine. What is also industable, however, is that while it's easy to place a phone call to Stihl USA, get a nice person on the line, and get quick, knowledgeable answers, the same is not true for Husky.

Disclaimer: I know of course that I could have dealt directly with dealers but out of curiosity, I chose to contact corporate offices.)

I found this little exercise interesting, and thought some of you guys could use the info when clients, etc ask where saws are made. Stihl knows for sure. But Husky doesn't (or won't say). Guess they're just so enormous it's an impossible question to answer.

Huskys are probably made where our form VP used to hang out (though Joe gave always the location the other day!)

I too have had very responsive results from Mark when I have emailed him about technical questions.

Nice to have that response. Says something for the organization, and the good judgment to purchase a Stihl!

So the saws themselves are made here in the US, but what about all the components on it? So are they really made here if the cylinders are made in Italy, China or Brazil? Assembly is only as good as it's components:confused:

I wouldn't expect the average dealer to kinow, or care, where the stuff is made.

I was told that STIHL saws with serial numbers beginning with '1' are made in Germany, and that saws with serial numbers beginning with '2' are made in the USA. Don't know if that is still true.

Husky saws used to have a metal plate saying something like "Husqvarna Sweden" on the Swedish saws and a printed label for the USA made saws. Lately, they seem to have added the metal "Husqvarna Sweden" nameplate to more saws (note: it does not say 'made in Sweden'). You have to look over all of the labels carefully to see a 'Made in the USA' statement printed on the saw or the box.

Funny. Made in the USA used to mean the good stuff.

Good point that gink595 made on the components.

Philbert

"Guess they're just so enormous it's an impossible question to answer."

way more gynormous than Stihl

"Guess they're just so enormous it's an impossible question to answer." way more gynormous than Stihl

Good point. STIHL grew out of one guy's workshop. Easy to track.

Although Husqvarna is a single company, the whole outdoor power division thing grew out of Electrolux vacuuming (pun intended) about a dozen or more chain saw and other companies together (Poulan, Jonsered, McCulloch, Pioneer, Jobu, etc.), each with its own facilities in different countries.

Philbert

This is a very tough question.

Husky may have looked at this question literally "where they are made". This could be a double edge sword.

Coming from a manufacturing background there are certain things one factory is set up to produce. Allot of times you are outsourcing components at other manufactures and having final product assembled at one facility. It sometimes take several manufacturing facilities to produce components for one part alone, never mind a complete product.

Besides What Chef in there right mind would give up the recipe for the magic sauce.

You may have been given an answer from Stihl as to where the saw was finally assembled. Sales fluff pillow, didn't it ease your mind. Not knocking the answer given. Just what we were taught to answer like to keep business funneled through our company. Like to refer to this as a smoking mirror.

Good point. STIHL grew out of one guy's workshop. Easy to track.

Although Husqvarna is a single company, the whole outdoor power division thing grew out of Electrolux vacuuming (pun intended) about a dozen or more chain saw and other companies together (Poulan, Jonsered, McCulloch, Pioneer, Jobu, etc.), each with its own facilities in different countries.

Philbert

Thats the answer he should have gotton from Husqvarna. Its precise and true..

Latest posts

Back