Stihl ignition module

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bang

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm having a problem finding a spark on a ms311. I have a 391 also and I swapped modules and it didn't help. I'm thinking maybe the kill switch wires but haven't tried it yet . The question is, in reviewing the service manual it shows a sleeve on the plug wire and location and direction of gap. What is the purpose of the sleeve? One of my modules has the sleeve and one doesn't.

I'm having a problem finding a spark on a ms311. I have a 391 also and I swapped modules and it didn't help. I'm thinking maybe the kill switch wires but haven't tried it yet . The question is, in reviewing the service manual it shows a sleeve on the plug wire and location and direction of gap. What is the purpose of the sleeve? One of my modules has the sleeve and one doesn't.
Surely look the wires over near the switch.
The sleeve your talking about may be a heat shield of sorts, but it docent seem as though that matters much since you've swapped coils and determined that to not be the problem. When you reinstalled the coil into the 391 did it run fine.

Surely look the wires over near the switch.
The sleeve your talking about may be a heat shield of sorts, but it docent seem as though that matters much since you've swapped coils and determined that to not be the problem. When you reinstalled the coil into the 391 did it run fine.
The 391 runs with either coil. My question isn't as much about solving the problem (but I may be back later asking for help) as it is just curiosity about the sleeve. The sm states that it needs to be 3mm from the chanel and the gap points to the cylinder so as I said I'm curious.
I preparing to try to find a spark with the shutoff wires disconnected from the module.

Latest posts

Back