Stihl Ignitions???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an 020T that is roughly 13 yrs. old and I believe the ignition is gone on it. The saw has no spark and if you pull the kill switch wire it still has no spark. Are the ignitions on Stihls warranted for life? If not what does one of these ignitions cost?

Rich I'll look tonite and see if I have an extra used one...

I just went through this last week with the ignition on my 029 Farmboss. Some guys around here said that the ignition was warranted for life, in checking with my dealer I found that wasn't so.

I told my dealer about what I had heard via the net and he said something along the lines of "well lets just call them and find out". He whipped out his tattered phone book and called his "guy" at Stihl. It seems that the warranty was tiered type system, something along the lines of 1-3 years parts and labor, 3-5 years parts only.

I ended up buying the part off of Ebay used for $35 and all is good.

Stihl ignition warranty since 1985 has covered the ignition module as long as the trigger module is intergrated into the ignition coil. (non points) it would cover parts only at this point. Starting March 2003 5 year warranty 2 years parts/labor and the last 3 part only. The only problem is you have to either have your saw registered or provide proof of purchase for warranty to apply

Last edited:
Yes, you need to be the orginal owner for lifetime warranty. And it's parts only, not labor, so you you'll need friendly Stihl dealer to hand you an ignition for your own install.

Last edited:
If Ultra does not have one, PM me. I'm pretty sure I have a used one off a previously running saw.

Stihl 023 will not start

Hello All,
New to this forum and this is my 1st post.. A member at ********** recommended I ask this question here.. I am having a starting problem with my Stihl 023 and it appears to have no spark.. I replaced the spark plug and filled with fresh fuel and even tried starting fluid but nothing happens..I can smell fuel and the plug is wet when I remove it so I know it is getting fuel.. I have the feeling the ignition coil went bad and need a 2nd opinion.. The tab terminal on the ignition reads very low to ground with no wire connected to it and I suspect the coil is grounded out.. Funds are a bit tight so I need to be sure before I shell out cash for parts.. Thank you in advance for any info and help you can provide!

Ray

Back