Stihl magnesium adhesive

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bwildered

Tree Freak
Reaction score
does any body know of an equivalent fuel resistant adhesive for bonding Stihl magnesium cases together such as a 076 fuel tank.
Ta

i dont think that would be good enough to give a permanent unseparatable bond like the stuff stihl use. could it be possible they used a hot glue method?
ta

I dont know how the 075 is held together. But I used Threebond 1194 to do mag tanks on a dolmar 166.

Never another problem afterwords.

166repairtank.jpg

This is a product I personally use, have so since the early to mid 70`s on marine diesel and gas applications and even the old VW bug engines. It has never failed in use on any engine I have used it on but I have not used it specifically to seal a gas tank without a gasket, instead I coat the gasket and metal flange before assembly.

http://www.hylomarsealant.com/

I use red dirko and have for many years and have never had it fail. It stinks but it's the best I've used

the thing with this situation on the 076 fuel tank is the adhesive permanently bonds the cases together with no mechanical assistance coming from fasteners such as bolts or screws.
ta

the thing with this situation on the 076 fuel tank is the adhesive permanently bonds the cases together with no mechanical assistance coming from fasteners such as bolts or screws.
ta
3M makes a two part putty I think Mastermind used the alum.version in the 661 intakes. I've used the steel version bedding rifle actions, it's very tuff stuff and expensive. Ken

Anaerobic sealer. Available at the parts house, come in a small tube. Loctite 518/Permatex. The sealer is red in color. Aboutc $10 for a little tube. Don't need much.

Well curiosity got the better of me, so I went to the shed and checked my 076 tank.......What a crap idea that is!......Your gona need some real good stuff to fix that!

Have a look here or give them a call... www.henkel.com.au

Well curiosity got the better of me, so I went to the shed and checked my 076 tank.......What a crap idea that is!......Your gona need some real good stuff to fix that!

Have a look here or give them a call... www.henkel.com.au
the short story is the 076 bounced along the tracks of a D5 & the corner of a growser put a tiny indent & crack in the tank corner, i had it welded up but that must have distorted the case & cracked the adhesive join enough to let fuel weep out of the tank, i was just toying with the idea of cutting the tank off around the join & glueing it back together again, a tank sealer cream would do the job but its not very cost effective. I have tried a loctite after sealer but it didnt do the job.
ta

...get a new used tank/starter housing. There must be zillions of them out there. Cutoff saw tanks (TS510 and TS760) will fit as long as they use the same starter system.

Red Dirko seriously about 6 saws rebuilt a bunch of cylinders and I stihl have over 3/4 of a tube left order it online.

This is a product I personally use, have so since the early to mid 70`s on marine diesel and gas applications and even the old VW bug engines. It has never failed in use on any engine I have used it on but I have not used it specifically to seal a gas tank without a gasket, instead I coat the gasket and metal flange before assembly.

http://www.hylomarsealant.com/
damn good stuff!!! use it also........................bit salty....

Back