Stihl mechanic price

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowtie

Gearhead
Reaction score
Im looking at possibly having a stihl mechanic replace both seals in the crankcase of my 026 if I cant find the air leak I suspect. I have a few more things to check, and I could do it myself, but time is very short for me right now. Wife expecting a kid soon, and Im working out of town. My question is what can I expect for a bill (ballpark figure) to have them do that for me, and what can I do to prep for it to make it cheaper?

If you have the time... and pull it down so both seals are ready for removal - and if you bought it to me, I'd charge you maybe 15 -20 minutes... but if you hand me the saw and say replace seals and pressure test - 1 hour. Your mileage may vary with others.

Are you sure it has an airleak? If it is a seal, it's almost always the flywheel side (dry an dusty conditions).. I wouldn't replace both unless they both showed problems.

Last edited:
Thanks Lakeside, that lets me know how to gauge the dealer when/if I go that route. 1 hour? thats fast! Thanks again.

Thanks Lakeside, that lets me know how to gauge the dealer when/if I go that route. 1 hour? thats fast! Thanks again.

Nope... an hour is slow... and it's well padded in case of other crap happening along the way!

Having all the right tools sure helps..

I have been working on a lot of 026 s lately, and have been replacing a
bunch of fuel and impulse lines, you might want to look closely at yours.

My closest Stihl dealer charges $60/hour.....and it seems like pretty much any repair takes him at least an hour (or at least that's how he charges it).

He was going to charge me for 1.5 hours to replace my cylinder/piston. I did it myself, completely clueless and unaware of what I was getting into, in about 30 minutes.

My closest Stihl dealer charges $60/hour.....and it seems like pretty much any repair takes him at least an hour (or at least that's how he charges it).

He was going to charge me for 1.5 hours to replace my cylinder/piston. I did it myself, completely clueless and unaware of what I was getting into, in about 30 minutes.
Noting the location from which you post,you are going to pay at least 60 bucks an hour for about any shop services in Ohio.It doesn't much make a difference if it's a washing machine or brakes on your automobile.

A lot of shop services are priced by using a predetermined "flat rate" book.This is almost always in excess of the actual time it takes to do the job but that's just the way most places price them.

I have the labor units charge rates for Stihl,McCulloch,Homelite as well as Chiltons flat rate book for automoble repairs.I think in the interest of harmonious relationships that I will keep that info on the Q-T ,so to speak.;)

I don't charge that much myself but to me it's more of a hobby than a means of making a living.Then on the other hand there are few on this site that would care to pay my charge rate for electrical services.I'm good but I'm not cheap.:biggrinbounce2:

Noting the location from which you post,you are going to pay at least 60 bucks an hour for about any shop services in Ohio.It doesn't much make a difference if it's a washing machine or brakes on your automobile.

A lot of shop services are priced by using a predetermined "flat rate" book.This is almost always in excess of the actual time it takes to do the job but that's just the way most places price them.

I have the labor units charge rates for Stihl,McCulloch,Homelite as well as Chiltons flat rate book for automoble repairs.I think in the interest of harmonious relationships that I will keep that info on the Q-T ,so to speak.;)

I don't charge that much myself but to me it's more of a hobby than a means of making a living.Then on the other hand there are few on this site that would care to pay my charge rate for electrical services.I'm good but I'm not cheap.:biggrinbounce2:

I didn't say there was anything wrong with his prices....

But I didn't say I'd be going back either. :D

I am leaning toward doing this myself in the little spare time I have. I think my biggest problem is that I am going to have to make a flywheel puller. Anyone have any insight on how to do it, or where to acquire one? Also, any tips tearing the thing down would help. Thanks guys.

I am leaning toward doing this myself in the little spare time I have. I think my biggest problem is that I am going to have to make a flywheel puller. Anyone have any insight on how to do it, or where to acquire one? Also, any tips tearing the thing down would help. Thanks guys.

Ebay.. $15-25

Back