Stihl MS 180 C-B Z picco spur...trouble with ignition module...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nile Vincent

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
To any Stihl tech hopefully...

I am trying to get this old Stihl MS 180 c-b started a few days ago, and noticed after cleaning up the air filter and sparkplug the ignition module coil was torn away from the plug...

So after contacting an authorized Stihl dealership repair guy, he stated roughly more than $100 to repair...($40+ for ignition mod and $65 hr)...

So I figured after talking to two others (hardware store and farm equipment store owners) who knew their stuff about Stihls and stated it was'nt that big of a job DIY, I checked out Ebay for an igniton module.

I came across one that one of the members here was selling. He goes by Fish. (Hey Fish, thanks for the tip! :msp_wink: ) And he recommended I hook up here and ask for a little help. And I'd be able to attach some pics for a visual. (Ebay's a strain...)

Ok, please bear with me for a moment...

Part of the info below is from a post I sent to Fish (yet I wasn't able to upload any pics so he could have a better idea what I was talking about)

I took some pics and attached them here...shows the end of the ignition coil wire that's out of the plug...sorry about the blur...best I could do.

It looks like it's actually broke off...what do you think?
As per your earlier comment about just being pulled out.
Is this what it looks like to you?

Thanks,

Nile

PS...couldn't find the model # or date of manufacture...you have any clue?
Just wondering if this is worth the cost and trouble to repair...any suggestions?
And thanks again...

Below is most of the info I sent him, just copy/pasted here...

"Hi, saw you ignition coil on Ebay...and your description about
experience with Stihl, sounds like you can help me...

Got a question.
I have a Stihl MS 180 c-bz picco spur...
This is what it says on the front, along with this # 1130-011-3028
and a yr 1992...
Does this mean built in 1992?
And is that the model #?

I have an ignition coil that is broke off just under the plug for sparkplug...and was told I could only get another...

So I'm lost at the model # etc.

Do you think your ignition coil would work on this chainsaw?"

Sorry about all this long dialogue...just trying to get all that might be needed in here so an intelligent and savvy answer can be attained...and I won't be wasting any of you guy's time!

I'm at a loss what to do about this...so I'm open to any and all suggestions...

Thanks

Nile

Ps...just previewed the post and even the pics got uploaded, like Fish said "piece of cake"...

Anyways, hope some of this info helps...

187143d1307983098-coil-001-jpg
Spray some lube in your boot, and with some pliers, etc. pull out the
spring doohickey, without bending it up.

View attachment 187143

It is easier to push the high-tension lead through the boot and out the other side first, (with a little lube), then install the spring clip and pull it back through until it is in its happy place. Trust me, have done thousands.

It is easier to push the high-tension lead through the boot and out the other side first, (with a little lube), then install the spring clip and pull it back through until it is in its happy place. Trust me, have done thousands.

That is how I replace mine. I have tried the other way but can't seam to get it to work that way.

Hey guys, I want to thank each and every one of you for your
help...

Fish, I have to tell you this is one great site...thanks again for the
help...you and your buddies are awesome...
Good to be in good company...

BTW, I'm out of Ky also, Henry Co., up on the Ohio. Could swim across and damn near be in Cinncinati...worked in the tobacco fields...

Anyways, have a good one and thanks again!

Nile

welcome

Hey guys, I want to thank each and every one of you for your
help...

Fish, I have to tell you this is one great site...thanks again for the
help...you and your buddies are awesome...
Good to be in good company...

BTW, I'm out of Ky also, Henry Co., up on the Ohio. Could swim across and damn near be in Cinncinati...worked in the tobacco fields...

Anyways, have a good one and thanks again!

Nile

WARNING! this place is very addictive,A tremendous amount of knowledge and very nice people on here. They actually fall all over each other to help their fellow man .Novel concept huh? I have learned alot just by hanging out and reading some very intelligent posts.Just watch out for CAD, you will find out about it soon enough. welcome friend:msp_biggrin:

get out while u can or soon youll have 10 saws and spend all of your spare time here:hmm3grin2orange: seriously welcome and fish is a heck of a guy to deal with:msp_thumbup:

Hey Fish, and/or any of you Stihl techs out there :msp_smile:,

You sent a message to me a few days ago re: Stilhl MS 180 C-B...this has to do with the same saw described above...

Got one more question...on the boot, there's a small split at the elbow (outside), at the inside V, and when I twist alittle on it, I can see the small split just slightly on the inside of elbow...but no visible light showing thru...

Would this be a problem? What do you think...maybe pick up another?...I wouldn't want that 20,000 volts shooting me :msp_unsure:

And you did send me the part number for the spring (0000 998 0604), thanks (listed below)...just in case...

(BTW, I did get the spring out ok...)

Would you happen to have the part number for the elbow/boot? Just in case I need to pick one up. (Or maybe even buy one from you if you have one?)

If not, please tell me where you get these...I'd really appreciate it and I wouldn't have to pester you. :smile2:

Thanks again for your time and input, much appreciated...

Nile

PS...Thanks for all the input guys, yes, this place could get addictive...and Fish is alright...

Last edited:
Re The spilt in the boot

If you can get away with it good luck to you.

With out a picture I cant give a definite answer.

I'm and electrician/electrical engineer but I like to get my hands dirty :)

Wait until it is night time start the saw and turn out the lights in the shed and see if there is any discharge visible from the crack in the rubber.

Sooner or latter, much later if your lucky that crack will cause the saw to misfire.

Welcome, and watch out for the cad

I like to get my hands dirty :)

Wait until it is night time turn out the lights in the shed and see if there is any discharge visible from the crack in the rubber.

Eeeeeeeewwwwwwwww.....!!!!!!!!!

Keep the pets away from his shed!!!!!!!!!!

Follow-up on the Stihl ignition module problem...

Hey guys, I was finally able to insert the spring into the wire and put back together...
I tried to fire her up and I think there was a slight 'firing'...yet no more...

I changed the plug and noticed alittle gas smell on the end of plug, and it was alittle moist.

So I dried off. Now I did check for spark and it's good.

When the end of both used and new plugs were damp w/gas on the end, is this an issue? :confused:

Thanks...

Nile

Hello I am new to this site and was curious about the MS180c chainsaw you folks were talking about. I am working on one at our equipment shop and the coil wire has been cut just short of the plug so the spring in the boot no longer makes contact with the wire. I assume I will have to replace the coil in order to get the right length to reach the plug but i was wondering if i could temporarily lengthen it with a piece of copper wire and a solder-less connecter to get the last bit of trimming done. If not i will already be ordering a coil for it I just was trying to resurrect it for a few more hours use. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Latest posts

Back