Stihl MS 241-CM versus an Echo CS-361P

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a couple 545s and recently picked up a minty 346xp ne. I actually prefer the way the 545 handles.

I'd like to run the 241 side by side with a 545. Both being 10.8 lbs should be interesting. May come down to picco vs NK chain?

CR888 nailed it. It's more than about weight, or any one factor alone. I think this is because the 241 really is such a surprising saw that it just doesn't fit into super simple judgement methods. It's a great weight for the power, the fuel efficiency gets more done in certain wood than you would believe at first, it feels really well balanced in use, etc.

I have to laugh at the moaning about the 241's price up there. US$859 here is the approx' RRP. I don't think Stihl NZ sell many here for that reason alone. When you look at our pricing, you'd think we were a rich country. But the price gouging of the big boys here help keep many of us wood guys in the 'working poor' category.

Another thing to consider, even though we seem to have scared the original poster off, is they have a 362 already and are looking for something to compliment it, so I'm not convinced the 241 fits into that two saw plan as well as the little Echo they mentioned would. Heck, my two saw plan, which I consider the ducks nuts for me, is the 241 and a Dolmar 7900, about 20cc more than the 362. Because of the effective power of the 241 with picco bar and chain, the gap between it and the near 80cc Dolmar is not an issue and I don't find myself wanting a saw between the two. I very rarely use the 20" bar on the Dolmar any more, preferring to just grab the 241. Although I am still searching for a great, solid (not laminated) 18" picco bar for it. It already stands up well with 16" bar buried in very dense wood.

So, if the OP is looking for the lightest saw still capable of cutting their idea of small wood to "compliment" their 362 then perhaps, as good as the 241 is, there is a better (for them) and cheaper option.

CR888 nailed it. It's more than about weight, or any one factor alone. I think this is because the 241 really is such a surprising saw that it just doesn't fit into super simple judgement methods. It's a great weight for the power, the fuel efficiency gets more done in certain wood than you would believe at first, it feels really well balanced in use, etc.

I have to laugh at the moaning about the 241's price up there. US$859 here is the approx' RRP. I don't think Stihl NZ sell many here for that reason alone. When you look at our pricing, you'd think we were a rich country. But the price gouging of the big boys here help keep many of us wood guys in the 'working poor' category.

Another thing to consider, even though we seem to have scared the original poster off, is they have a 362 already and are looking for something to compliment it, so I'm not convinced the 241 fits into that two saw plan as well as the little Echo they mentioned would. Heck, my two saw plan, which I consider the ducks nuts for me, is the 241 and a Dolmar 7900, about 20cc more than the 362. Because of the effective power of the 241 with picco bar and chain, the gap between it and the near 80cc Dolmar is not an issue and I don't find myself wanting a saw between the two. I very rarely use the 20" bar on the Dolmar any more, preferring to just grab the 241. Although I am still searching for a great, solid (not laminated) 18" picco bar for it. It already stands up well with 16" bar buried in very dense wood.

So, if the OP is looking for the lightest saw still capable of cutting their idea of small wood to "compliment" their 362 then perhaps, as good as the 241 is, there is a better (for them) and cheaper option.
Your two saw plan is pretty close to mine The 241 for the branches and a 440 for the logs here. Generally there are always some monster trees thrown in to the mix.

I know some of you guys arent into the porting thing but i have a 241 that brad snelling ported that is insane for a 40cc saw , ive had my fair share of models from different builders and that saw really stands out..it can take the place of a 50cc saw no problem..the other beat up one i have is just muffler modded and its no slouch either..great saws.

I'm a big fan of Echo products. Love the simple, reliable, inexpensive nature of the beast. Very easy to work on and usually inexpensive to repair. That said, the 361p isn't even in the same league as a ms241c. It comes closer to a ms192 r.

The stock porting on the 361 is pretty good. For a small use saw, I would go to it over my 241cm. It weighs 2 lbs less, and pulls a 15" bar with ease. The only advantage in a 241 is it can maybe pull 325 for a longer lasting chain and less sharpening. Now that I own both, I don't reach for the 241. After a while, I donated the 241 to a neighbouring estate that needed a 40cc and replaced the MS241 with a Shindaiwa cs390(also significantly lighter than the 241) and haven't looked back.

Here's Randy's take on the progenitor to the 361:

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/mastermind-meets-the-echo-cs-355t.229984/

The stock porting on the 361 is pretty good. For a small use saw, I would go to it over my 241cm. It weighs 2 lbs less, and pulls a 15" bar with ease. The only advantage in a 241 is it can maybe pull 325 for a longer lasting chain and less sharpening. Now that I own both, I don't reach for the 241. After a while, I donated the 241 to a neighbouring estate that needed a 40cc and replaced the MS241 with a Shindaiwa cs390(also significantly lighter than the 241) and haven't looked back.

Here's Randy's take on the progenitor to the 361:

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/mastermind-meets-the-echo-cs-355t.229984/
I like my Echo 361 also.

Have a 421 that never gets used and had a 400 that got sold because it never got used.

For the few times that I need something bigger, I don't mind grabbing a 50cc saw over a 40cc saw.

If you want a superlight, super-nible, very compact and handy rear handle saw with decent power, then there's really no comparison. And it'll cut the occasional 12 to 16 inch limb or log when you need it to.
For pruning, limbing, and light firewood duty, the 361P wins hands down.

If you want a saw that can do most of what a 50cc saw can do but be smaller and lighter, and want to use it to mostly cut a lot of firewood in the 8 to 12 inch range, then I might consider the 241.

'Bout the only 40cc saw I feel the need to keep around is my tiny old Stihl 009L.
Very powerful for a 2hp saw, and just so, so compact.
A nice backup for the 361P.
Anything they won't do, or if I'm in a hurry to buck up some 8 to 12 inch logs, and I just grab the 50cc or 70cc saw. But those occasions aren't that often for me.

Back