Stihl Ms 250 Value

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julian1234

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a stihl MS 250 chainsaw that I just cleaned and fixed up.
It runs great with no issues whatsoever.
Attached is a photo of it:
What's is worth to sell?
1711563043678.png

Quick Google search shows $379 new for the MS251. Depends on age and use (looks pretty clean) I would say 50% off for walking off of the showroom floor and about 50% of that for hard use (any chainsaw I don't know the history of) and older model. Say $125. To me, I wouldn't buy it at that, I prefer the "Pro" style saws, MS241 or MS261. Actually, in my case, 024 and 026...

Two inches longer on the bar doesn't add much weight. It cuts small wood just as easily as a 16" bar and is there when you need it for larger wood. If you need an 18" bar all the time, a bigger saw might be better but an MS 250 has no problem with an 18" bar and occasional big wood.

Two inches longer on the bar doesn't add much weight. It cuts small wood just as easily as a 16" bar and is there when you need it for larger wood. If you need an 18" bar all the time, a bigger saw might be better but an MS 250 has no problem with an 18" bar and occasional big wood.
You're say this in a place where most not only are running pro saws but 20” setups on 60-70+ cc saws. I think the 250 is a 45cc, I know it’s the biggest homeowner grade but I think most have a different opinion on what’s easy for an 18.

That's really pushing the limits of a 250's oiler

You're say this in a place where most not only are running pro saws but 20” setups on 60-70+ cc saws. I think the 250 is a 45cc, I know it’s the biggest homeowner grade but I think most have a different opinion on what’s easy for an 18.
I have used 16" & 18" bars on an MS250 with no issues if the saw is running well. Like you said, if one is cutting big stuff a bigger saw would be better. One thing, if one is tall and cutting wood on the ground, it will save your back from bending over a little less.

In what condition?
The $200 ones have all the parts except possibly the bar and chain and are in uncertain condition. There is one for $250 that looks similar to the OP's saw. Less than $200 are labeled for parts or don't have all the parts. For $130 you can get one missing the bar and chain, the fuel and oil caps, both side covers, the carburetor, the rear handle, and the spark plug. It does have the top handle and the safety bar. That listing doesn't say if it runs.

Latest posts

Back