Stihl MS 261 and 362 get an Update

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That makes sense, as "5" wasn't reserved for any specific country in the original list.

Yes, I posted this 'update' on another thread here on AS. Number 5 is the new USA manufacture designation number. This came off the web:

STIHL Inc.
Updated, October 21, 2014 by contributing editors.

Most of the STIHL products sold in the USA are made in Va. Beach, Virginia and a majority of the STIHL engines or powerheads are “built in the United States from domestic and foreign parts and components”. The carburetors are manufactured in China; STIHL
purchased Zama Corporation, Ltd., Hong Kong, on December 31, 2008.
For country of origin verification, when inspecting the nine digit serial #, the number 1 at the beginning represents the product is sourced from Germany and the numbers 2 or 5 will signify USA sourced merchandise.

The acclaimed “STIHL, built in America, believing in America” line of products include the world famous Chainsaw among other outdoor power tools like their Leaf Blower, Weed Eater, and Hedge Trimmer.

The US made Chainsaw product list includes the Homeowner Saws and the Farm & Ranch Saws. All models are made in the USA, except the MS201 chainsaw and the larger chainsaws from the MS441 and up are made in Germany. The Chains are all made in their
Swiss Saw Chain Plant located in Wil, Switzerland.

The US made Leaf Blower models are all US made, that includes the Leaf Blower and Shredder Vacs. Also all of the Backpack Leaf Blowers (BR Series) are Made in Virginia Beach, USA.

The US made Weed Eater or Grass and Brush Trimmers are all US made, except the FS 38 weed eater (China), and the (FS 360/460/560) Brushcutters are made in Germany.

Every Hedge Trimmer listed on this page
US made STIHL Hedge Trimmers are US made. The HS 45 Hedge Trimmer is made in China.

Note: All of their electric products and lithium ion products are made in Austria / Germany.

Stihl Canada has the 261 on sale now for 599.95 ($120 off) so I picked one up yesterday:). Haven't had a chance to run it yet but maybe this weekend if I can get the farm chores sorted out early and the impending storm cleared.

The dealer was good and helpful but told me they don't make a RM3 for the 261 in Canada and that they are all low kickback now. Sold me a regular RS as a spare and said it was what comes on the saw. Can any Canucks confirm or deny this? Might start a new thread looking for tips and what not with the M-tronic.

Thanks for all the help I have received from all the great members here.

Was it a newer or older 261?

Older/current/not the redesigned one. No idea what to call them since the model numbers aren't changing. I would have liked to wait for the redesign but saving the money is nice especially with the Canadian dollar being worth less most prices are going up here.

Yes, and likely the reason they are having the sale; the earlier models are being discontinued. They did that here what the 362 came out; they cut the 361 price to $550 from $600 to clear them shelves. Stihl usually hikes their prices at this time of year anyway.

I suppose we will have to call them the 261/362 type I and type II, like we do the Husky 346 and 372.

Yes, and likely the reason they are having the sale; the earlier models are being discontinued. They did that here what the 362 came out; they cut the 361 price to $550 from $600 to clear them shelves. Stihl usually hikes their prices at this time of year anyway.

I suppose we will have to call them the 261/362 type I and type II, like we do the Husky 346 and 372.

I have an order in for 10 261's so we will see if we get the new style for the 599 price point. the " old " 362 was 889, the " New" one is 929 and the computer shows 100+ of the 261 so we will see what comes in.

Does anyone know is these two new saws are exhaust scavenged, like the 461 and 661, or strato (cold air) scavenged, like the earlier 261 and 362?

yes. a tree service in my area has a new style 362 on demo...somehow. I touched it to move it to load other saws into their truck....but didn't get to run it.

The stats (on paper at least) they shed a lot of weight:

Stihl 261 type I: 11.5 lb., 3.9 HP
Stihl 261 type II: 10.8 lb., 4.1 HP (I think this will be listed as 4.0 HP in the US)

Stihl 362 type I: 12.8 lb., 4.7 HP
Stihl 362 type II: 12.3 lb., 4.8 HP

I have an order in for 10 261's so we will see if we get the new style for the 599 price point. the " old " 362 was 889, the " New" one is 929 and the computer shows 100+ of the 261 so we will see what comes in.

So what is the good word Mr. Rockjock? Any of the new 261's?

None released in the states that anyone is aware of yet. But they are being cranked out in Virginia.
Well the newest news here is that delivery has been halted! One the parts has been weight reduced too much. Someone in Waiblingen is getting the heat pretty bad at the moment...

Well the newest news here is that delivery has been halted! One the parts has been weight reduced too much. Someone in Waiblingen is getting the heat pretty bad at the moment...

Well... here is to hoping Canada will be different.

It is what 10,000-15,000 miles away?

The saws are being made in both Germany and in Virginia. Canadian saws have been supplied from both places. I would imagine that the issue will depend on the part, and if they can be replaced in the field or have to be returned to the factory. It has happened before on other releases.

Virginia Beach, Virginia to Waiblingen, Germany is only 4,200 miles. Toronto to Waiblingen is even closer, at 4,000 miles.

Latest posts

Back