Stihl MS 261 and 362 get an Update

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K, thx. What is the new HP?

Good question. The US 2012 Stihl catalog lists the 362 (type I) as 4.6 HP and 13.0 lb. In the US 2014 catalog they list the 362C-M (type I) as 4.7 HP and 12.8 lb. (it was actually 4.69 HP rounded up as listed in the 2016 catalog). The 362C-M type II is 4.8 HP according to the Stihl Germany web site.

Brand new to the site but interested in any updates to the Stihl MS 261 C-M version 2 or 2016 model, whatever the proper name might be. My dealer has the 2015 version of this saw in stock but it's not discounted. He looked it up for me and said he got it in at the end of 2015. He wasn't aware of the V2 but said he would order it for me if it was available. He looked through his books but couldn't find the new version listed. I pulled the owners manual from the one he had in stock and it listed the 2015 specs as far as the weight and horsepower even though the newest Stihl catalog he has lists the specs for the V2 model.

So my question... Has anyone in the States been able to find one of the new 261's is stock? If so what is the part number or order number to help my dealer out?

The new version 2 362's are widely available but the new version 2 261's are a bit harder to find. I found mine in Mobile Alabama. The easiest way to quickly identify it is the different chain cover. Most dealers have no interest in new models and want to sell what they have in stock.

Good question. The US 2012 Stihl catalog lists the 362 (type I) as 4.6 HP and 13.0 lb. In the US 2014 catalog they list the 362C-M (type I) as 4.7 HP and 12.8 lb. (it was actually 4.69 HP rounded up as listed in the 2016 catalog). The 362C-M type II is 4.8 HP according to the Stihl Germany web site.

Hp(m) vs. hp(i) plays a role with what the kW translates into - both are bhp really, and hp vs bhp have had no real meaning after the ol' SAE gross hp (that was calculated, not measured) went out of use.

Some times it varies between different markets if the brand use hp(m) or hp(i) - there is about a 2% difference, that translates into .1 hp at about 5hp. As an example, the 3.5 kW of the 562xp is translated into 4.8 hp(m) in Europe, and 4.7 hp(i) in the US. Stihl does pretty much the same with the 362 - but what both brands do in other saw sizes vary.

Stihl and Dolmar have a history of presenting hp(m) as bhp in the US, which might lead readers to think of hp(i) - while it really was hp(m). It isn't a lie, but there are a lot of people that (wrongly) will assume that bhp is hp(i).

Then there is the question of how many decimals the kW numbers that the hp was calculated from had, some times it does matter.

Then (2), how the power band are om both sides of the max kW rpm will vary quite a bit, so
the max numbers just is an approximate pointer to about what to expect anyway.
A saw family that is known to fail miserably on both sides of max power rpm is the 029/MS290 family, which have created rumors that the specs aren't true. Independent tests show they are true, the saws just have a terribly bad "power band" on both sides of max power rpm, so they perform bad for the rated power..

The new version 2 362's are widely available but the new version 2 261's are a bit harder to find. I found mine in Mobile Alabama. The easiest way to quickly identify it is the different chain cover. Most dealers have no interest in new models and want to sell what they have in stock.

Glad to hear they are showing up in the States. My dealer has no problem ordering one for me if he just had a part number or knew what to call it. Maybe it's the distributor that's not cooperating with him. I've shown him pictures so he agrees that it's out there, he just doesn't have any litature on it and not having any luck locating one.

The Euro version always was rated ar 3.4 kW, the US one first at 3.2, and then 3.3,

As I recall it, the version made in Brazil today is rated at 3.4 - and isn't exactly the same as any of them.

Brand new to the site but interested in any updates to the Stihl MS 261 C-M version 2 or 2016 model, whatever the proper name might be. My dealer has the 2015 version of this saw in stock but it's not discounted. He looked it up for me and said he got it in at the end of 2015. He wasn't aware of the V2 but said he would order it for me if it was available. He looked through his books but couldn't find the new version listed. I pulled the owners manual from the one he had in stock and it listed the 2015 specs as far as the weight and horsepower even though the newest Stihl catalog he has lists the specs for the V2 model.

So my question... Has anyone in the States been able to find one of the new 261's is stock? If so what is the part number or order number to help my dealer out?

I was hoping the serial number and or the part number would help in the search of locating or ordering one.

Latest posts

Back