Stihl MS 261 and 362 get an Update

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So tell me where the number is located on the saw that would help someone order one like it? Would the label on the handle contain that information? Just trying to help.

The confusing thing about the 261 & 362 Version II is that Stihl does not call them version II. I have seen them on dealer shelves in the local area here (NY & CT), but often the dealer is not even aware of the change.

The easiest way to identify them is to look at the chain cover. Likely, the dealer will continue to get Ver I until the distributor runs out of them.

I would definitely seek out a Ver II, as the weight difference is significant.

I'll have to look and see where mine's made but I'll bet it's the USA version. It may not be the more powerful German version but it seems to be pretty peppy. If it's close to my 362XP I'll be happy..

As far as I know, there are substantial gains to be had by just a muffler mod on the US version of the MS361....

It did make a difference on my Euro one as well, but not as much as reported on the US ones.

The confusing thing about the 261 & 362 Version II is that Stihl does not call them version II. I have seen them on dealer shelves in the local area here (NY & CT), but often the dealer is not even aware of the change.

The easiest way to identify them is to look at the chain cover. Likely, the dealer will continue to get Ver I until the distributor runs out of them.

I would definitely seek out a Ver II, as the weight difference is significant.

Yes, and the redesigned cooling fins on the cylinders, that give the impression that the cylinders are slanted backwards - even though they aren't.

Stopped by my dealer today to give him the numbers plumnjoe supplied. Just for the record his MS 261 C-M was a November 2015 order and the number is 1141-011-3085 vs the newer number that plumnjoe listed of 1141-011-3095. He said he would check with his distributor during his next order to see if he could get it but since he just got a shipment in it might be 2 to 3 weeks before he orders again.

I will let you know what I find out. Thanks again plumnjoe for the part number!

Not you - but those that decided to put such a label there. ;)

I was worried that i might have been providing misleading information. Just wanted to make sure the label I took a pic of would be of help to those trying to find the version 2 ms261cm's. I also have the v2 ms362cm if anyone needs any info from that saw.

Latest posts

Back