Stihl MS 261 and 362 get an Update

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stihl is ok the only reason i got that saw is because it was cheap otherwise i wouldn't have bought it.
i prefer other brands myself because the dealers are full of themselves here good product otherwise.

Great forum you guys have here! Did a lot of lurking here when I was researching what saw to buy so thanks to you all for the help. I have decided on a 261 and was just about to pull the trigger and this thread came out:). Thinking it will be worth the wait.

@Rockjock any idea if they are shipping the updated 261 in Canada yet. I am in New Brunswick. Just moved here from Ontario about 8 months ago. I was in my local dealer today and they had no idea there was an updated model out. They had just gotten in a 362 but not an updated one. any idea if the updated 261 will be the same price ($719.99 here). Thanks

Anybody know if they will come with the regular chain of do they all come with the Duro chain like the German site.

I know there isn't much info out yet but if anybody comes across any news I would like to know.

Thanks a lot

Great forum you guys have here! Did a lot of lurking here when I was researching what saw to buy so thanks to you all for the help. I have decided on a 261 and was just about to pull the trigger and this thread came out:). Thinking it will be worth the wait.

@Rockjock any idea if they are shipping the updated 261 in Canada yet. I am in New Brunswick. Just moved here from Ontario about 8 months ago. I was in my local dealer today and they had no idea there was an updated model out. They had just gotten in a 362 but not an updated one. any idea if the updated 261 will be the same price ($719.99 here). Thanks

Anybody know if they will come with the regular chain of do they all come with the Duro chain like the German site.

I know there isn't much info out yet but if anybody comes across any news I would like to know.

Thanks a lot
Deals like including duro chain are market specific, speculation is a bit pointless.

Duro chain is NOT standard in germany or other countries in Europe.

@Hammy
Not quite sure what your requirements are, but here in Europe dealers are clearing stock at pretty good prices. Wouldn't be supprised if this will happen otherwhere in the world also. And as a homeowner firewood guy you will never notice the difference. As a pro or a number aficionado or beta tester you might want to wait. But I like to remember what a pro said here about the difference in the Husqvarna 550/545 555/560 line. More and more pro collegues are getting the "economy line" 545 & 555 because in real life they are equally productive with the cheaper saw...

Duro chain is NOT standard in germany or other countries in Europe.

@Hammy
Not quite sure what your requirements are, but here in Europe dealers are clearing stock at pretty good prices. Wouldn't be supprised if this will happen otherwhere in the world also. And as a homeowner firewood guy you will never notice the difference. As a pro or a number aficionado or beta tester you might want to wait. But I like to remember what a pro said here about the difference in the Husqvarna 550/545 555/560 line. More and more pro collegues are getting the "economy line" 545 & 555 because in real life they are equally productive with the cheaper saw...

Thanks for the replies guys. I was thinking if the price is the same I would wait it out. Figured why not for the sake of a week or 2 since I have no time for wood cutting in the next 2 weeks. If I can save a couple bucks I will most likely take that route.

For my uses either will be great. I have a 45 acres forest I am going to be cutting some fence lines into and using the wood for an outdoor wood boiler that we are installing next year. We figure 2 birds with one stone so to speak. Clear fence lines and free wood. Where we are going from a 291 to a 261 is $120 not a bad deal considering I appreciate a well built tool and it should last and perform better.

I currently have a ms 170 that was great when only had an acre and used it for limbs from storms and to help a buddy cut trees off his fences on his farm. He had a couple big Huskies that got really heavy walking fence lines in the heat and humidity. My little 170 was perfect and will still be used for light work around the farm and will live on the tractor when we start running the goats and pigs in the woods.

Thanks for all the input you guys put in here

To be honest I believe turnover time old to new model will be in the next few months not next 14 days.

To be honest I believe turnover time old to new model will be in the next few months not next 14 days.

In that case I will suck it up pay full price for the current/old version. Not a big deal just would be nice to get a price break or the latest/greatest (or unproven depending on how you look at it). I figured they were on the way in as @Rockjock said the new 362 was in his shop in Ontario. I need to be out cutting in a few weeks so can't wait a few months for sure.

Appreciate the reply.

In that case I will suck it up pay full price for the current/old version. Not a big deal just would be nice to get a price break or the latest/greatest (or unproven depending on how you look at it). I figured they were on the way in as @Rockjock said the new 362 was in his shop in Ontario. I need to be out cutting in a few weeks so can't wait a few months for sure.

Appreciate the reply.

Order came in Friday 4 more 362's so the new stock is being sold now. I am not 100% sure when the winter sale will start but I would say week to 10 days. The couple that I have sold seem to be just fine with the tree guys that bought them.

I do not have an old one to compare but I can weigh one on monday

Old MS 362 is 5.6 Kg / 12.3 LBS
New MS362 is 4.9 Kg / 10.8 LBS

I am in Newmarket Ontario

Are these weights for the 362 or 261? 10.8 pounds would make it the lightest 60cc saw on the market by almost a pound and a half. It would also be the lighter than the current crop of 50cc saws.

I will get some pics with the covers off as well. The sarge did ask me and I missed his comment.

Any sign of the new 261 yet? Apparently the owner of the shop here is back on Tuesday so the guys I talked to the other day said stop in and see if he knows anything. I am up for the new model or saving some cash on the old/current one. If my local shop can't get them and stick to the current price maybe you guys could ship me one of I could have my brother in law stop in a pick it up. He's a firefighter in Toronto and runs a tree business on the side. He's usually up for a trip to the saw shop.

Thanks

Are these weights for the 362 or 261? 10.8 pounds would make it the lightest 60cc saw on the market by almost a pound and a half. It would also be the lighter than the current crop of 50cc saws.

That is the weight of the 362. We do not have a older model 362 BUT from what I can see it is lighter.

Any sign of the new 261 yet? Apparently the owner of the shop here is back on Tuesday so the guys I talked to the other day said stop in and see if he knows anything. I am up for the new model or saving some cash on the old/current one. If my local shop can't get them and stick to the current price maybe you guys could ship me one of I could have my brother in law stop in a pick it up. He's a firefighter in Toronto and runs a tree business on the side. He's usually up for a trip to the saw shop.

Thanks

I doubt there will be much if any of a cost reduction. I do know that there will be another promo starting in a bit so who knows! Also I have no issues if your brother in law wants a saw. IF there is a new 261 in stock I can and will order 1 for him if he wants.

Does the new 362 carb have 2 butterfly's or is it a divided intake tract like the old ms261.

Back