Stihl MS 261 VS Husqvarna 346 XP VS Dolmar PS 5105

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your in luck though, I actually found handling the 261 felt lighter and more nimble than the 346 because the wieght is spread out over the entire saw where as the weight of the 346 seems to feel 100% directly below the top handle due to its smaller overall size:

Yeah, like Thall said.....the 261 is yet another FAT STIHL PIG!!!!!!!!

I'm right at 50, two lower back surgeries/ L4/L5, suffer from a terminal condition called mixed connective tissue disease, and have five stents in from two heart surgeries. I still cut three to four days a week to help the guys out in our firewood business. All jest aside, being totally serious, owning both a 346xpne and 261, I will take a 261 any day in stock form. I was 100% convinced the 346 was the best saw in it's class until I ran the 261. I'm not taking anything away for the 346 it is an excellent saw, but the 261 is better imho. You can't go wrong with either one really, I do think the Stihl saw comes with a better bar as far as oem is concerned.
I also prefer the way the top cover is secured on the Stihl better. I don't care for the latches. I own Stihl, Husky, Efco and Homelite saws, all are good, some better than others. As well as both saws are built there is little chance they will every need to see a dealer if taken care of and well maintained.

Andyshine,
I was going to buy the 346XP last week end but more important bills came up and my tax check was delayed (government stuff)
I should be able to buy it this week end. You have me questioning the MS 261 vs 346XP with your video and it bugs me.
In term of weight, is there really a difference? For all day long work, I am debating power against weight.
Would you pick the Stihl over the Husky, honestly?
I am going on 50 (years of age) and my back is the problem. I even considered buying the smallest XP with a rear handle. It's more expensive than the 346...ahh forget that. I will buy the 346. I wish Stihl could have made the 261 lighter instead of heavier than the 260.

The only way you can tell a weight difference is with a scale period. The handling differences are so small it not worth arguing about, but somehow that doesn't stop anyone here, and most of them haven't even ran the darn saw.:tire: There's no big differences between thees two saws, except the filtration on the 261 is a little better. I like the Husky a little more, but it's only a feel thing. I'll also add the 261 is almost a copy of the 346, it's actually funny how similar these saws are.

Which saw is better?? The one you buy. Now everybody shut up, go outside and cut some wood for #### sakes.:big_smile::byebye:

Last edited:
I'm past fifty...that Toby Kieth song comes to mind ....why not evaluate something like the Husqvarna 562?[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldQrapQ4d0Y
Excellent...I ain't good as I once was but there was a time ....
Your comments about falling in the trap is so valid, it's scary.
However, this is all talk and speculation, when it comes to buying, it's a different story. I've made up my mind on the 346XP for a bunch of reasons but mostly because I owe to the young kid that spent so much time with me trying to sell the dolmar over the Husky, some $$$n(albeit not on the product he was pushing). He deserves it and in the end, I am sure all those saws are way up there in term of reliability, power, etc...plus Husky came up with a bunch of technology Stihl is now copying and I have a bit of sense that the original has some edge. If it's less expensive and time tried and has friendly dealers, that equates to a no-brainer to me...sorry stihl people. I am not married to any brand but Husqvarna deserves the credit it earned (even if they sold the motorcycle divison to BMW or the italians, bought Poulans, Mc culloch, etc.. their original product from Sweden is still ahead.
I take it saw troll is from sweden and works for Husq while Thalll103265526819 works for Stihl.
Times of War was when technology evolved the fastest...this site seems to promote this spirit from its better angle (nobody dies here I hope)...it's good for evolution...wonder if the manufacturer keep tab of this?
I am an engineer myself, I'd love to see people debate my creations over the competition, It would fuel my fire to conquer, shine, excel, show the world that I RULE.

:lifter::lifter::lifter::chainsawguy::chainsawguy:

Last edited:
Oh my what have done Sawtroll, it appears you don't practice what you preach. Have you ran a 261 in your own hands to back up your opinion, didn't think so. However ole boy your in luck, I have. I can assure you from running BOTH in pure stock form the 261 has nothing worry about concerning the 346 in the cut. I don't think its alot stronger than the 346 but its obviously just as strong if not a tad more. It pulls extremely well in the cut.

Far as handling have you cut a stick of wood with a 261 to make any assumtions at all, didn't think so. Your in luck though, I actually found handling the 261 felt lighter and more nimble than the 346 because the wieght is spread out over the entire saw where as the weight of the 346 seems to feel 100% directly below the top handle due to its smaller overall size. As you well know a small 14lb block of lead feels much heavier than a 14 lb saw, the differance being the weight is spread out over the saw. Even so I still like my 346 but for you to say only the Husky is built and handles like a 50cc saw should is non-sense. No fear though I understand your reasoning, yes we know, sales are down,:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I don't have to run it, as the way it is built tells me more than enough. They made a very good saw, but somehow forgot what a 50cc saw really is about! :msp_laugh:

A smaller version of larger saws don't cut it in that class, unless it is just for bucking in the back yard! :givebeer:

Them 261's balances so badly they're dangerous.:laugh::laugh::msp_tongue::laugh::laugh:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xlp3iYeIl_k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
I'm right at 50, two lower back surgeries/ L4/L5, suffer from a terminal condition called mixed connective tissue disease, and have five stents in from two heart surgeries. I still cut three to four days a week to help the guys out in our firewood business. All jest aside, being totally serious, owning both a 346xpne and 261, I will take a 261 any day in stock form. I was 100% convinced the 346 was the best saw in it's class until I ran the 261. I'm not taking anything away for the 346 it is an excellent saw, but the 261 is better imho. You can't go wrong with either one really, I do think the Stihl saw comes with a better bar as far as oem is concerned.
I also prefer the way the top cover is secured on the Stihl better. I don't care for the latches. I own Stihl, Husky, Efco and Homelite saws, all are good, some better than others. As well as both saws are built there is little chance they will every need to see a dealer if taken care of and well maintained.

I had a lumbar fusion (L5 S1) and went jogging and biking like a maniac after that thinking it was all good to go but it messed up the joint just above so I can relate to you. (well maybe not..your condition sounds really bad) I do some wood cutting with friends that own some forest in Illinois and Wisconsin sometimes and I also take care of my land in spring, summer, fall to clear and collect firewood in the processs. It is very taxing on the back..you have to always be aware of the strain you put on it. When you get warm, you forget that there is problem, then pay for it later. That's whay sometimes, I think I should just stick with the little baby weight stuff I use now. Let the manly stuff for the young undamaged studs. Your feedback is valuable, thank you. (will still get the 346 though) Take it easy and be well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words. You'll like the 346, its a great saw. Sounds like your prolly making the right choice if the Stihl dealer is not up to par. Dealer support can be a big deal to some. I'd prolly own a few more Huskie's if the dealer here wasn't an azz hat. Here it would be 509.00 bucks full list, with nothing throw in extra, not even a thank you and forget letting there tech touch it.
I'm kinda sitting back and waiting for the new Husky 562 to come out, Stihl handed Husky their hiney withe the 361 and Husky went back to the drawing board. Competition is good between these two companies as it continues to drive better and better product to the consumer's hands. When they finally replace the 346 I'm sure it will be with a little monster.

Them 261's balances so badly they're dangerous.:laugh::laugh::msp_tongue::laugh::laugh:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xlp3iYeIl_k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Andyshine,
Man you pushed the debate into another realm altogether.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNQRfBAzSzo

That was too wild. You made your point clearly...handling differences is probably minor. I don't know yet...
When diving in saw dust, watch for those darn MS261 laying around though, on your second dive it looked as if it could have left a mark. Them darn thing don't receive flesh as easy as wood chips.
Wild dude.
This video is the best chainsaw video so far. Not very instructing on the product but fully informative on the andy moonshine man.
I like you.:cheers::cheers:

Understand the back thing. years of riding/racing the dirt bikes have taken their toll. For me Bicycling did the trick until I wasted my ankle in an old age motorcycle event. Now missing some pieces bicycles are no longer as option.:msp_sad: But...can't stay off the bikes. Still do that when the mood strikes. Chainsaws have replaced the motorcycles at some level...(and not many folks know that Husqvarna motorcycle litany! Swedish Husqvarna to Cagiva in and out of business even sold to a Pacific Rim company for a while and then finally BMW) One of my interests is related to Italian Motorcycles..and the 1980's era Four Stroke Husqvarna's changed the dirt bike landscape.Husqvarna;s Husaberg's, Vertimatti's, and VOR's all have their design roots in those..and my trail bike is (Bet you never saw one):

attachment.php

Andyshine,
Man you pushed the debate into another realm altogether.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNQRfBAzSzo

That was too wild. You made your point clearly...handling differences is probably minor. I don't know yet...
When diving in saw dust, watch for those darn MS261 laying around though, on your second dive it looked as if it could have left a mark. Them darn thing don't receive flesh as easy as wood chips.
Wild dude.
This video is the best chainsaw video so far. Not very instructing on the product but fully informative on the andy moonshine man.
I like you.:cheers::cheers:

Moonshine lol.:msp_laugh: that's a good one.:bowdown:

OK OK. I gave in and ordered a 261 via the US. I'll do a comparo against my stock 5100-S when it gets here...
I can then start this sh*tfight all over again :D

Sorry Sawtroll but didn't get my grubby mitts on a 346XP as I rather like the filter setup on the 261 and the inboard clutch :(

If you just want a 50cc saw for cutting up firewood logs, the 261 surely will work very well, it just isn't what a 50cc saw for use in the woods should be - and that is what the main purpose of 50cc saws should be, imo.
For just cutting up logs, you can just as well use a larger saw, it simply doesn't matter which 50cc saw is .1 second (or even .5) faster in a given cut.

The important thing is how they handle in the woods, and the MS261 probably will fail even worse than the 5100S, when put to that test! It just has too, the way it is built, and the weight is far too close to the ol' MS361, that is much stronger!

As I see it, it is a pretty irrelevant model, that doesn't interest me the least!:msp_sad:

I was informed of this just a a few hours ago.:rockn: They are strong stock for sure, and I think the filter will work well in your conditions.:msp_smile:

It was your filtration comment that sealed the deal Andy :) And if I don't like it I can sell it anyway as they are still to be released in Australia.

If you just want a 50cc saw for cutting up firewood logs, the 261 surely will work very well, it just isn't what a 50cc saw for use in the woods should be - and that is what the main purpose of 50cc saws should be, imo.
For just cutting up logs, you can just as well use a larger saw, it simply doesn't matter which 50cc saw is .1 second (or even .5) faster in a given cut.

The important thing is how they handle in the woods, and the MS261 probably will fail even worse than the 5100S, when put to that test! It just has too, the way it is built, and the weight is far too close to the ol' MS361, that is much stronger!

As I see it, it is a pretty irrelevant model, that doesn't interest me the least!:msp_sad:

You seem to be making a hell of a lot of posts here Sawtroll for a model you have no interest in and don't care about!
To be honest and as mentioned balance and handling is highly subjective. I can tell you now that I will not be able to tell the difference between my 5100-S and the new 261 when it arrives. I am getting it solely for the better filtration.
I'm sure to the purist a 346 will feel more nimble than the other models (WHEN they've actually used ALL of them by the way), but hey it's a light saw and 99.9% of people wouldn't notice and quite simply couldn't care. As far as I am concerned every 50cc saw is a lightweight and if swinging a 261 around all day is going to fatigue you more than a 346 then you really shouldn't be using chainsaws full stop. If your arms are that weak I'd say you'd actually be classified as dangerous and maybe an MS170 with safety non kickback chain may be more your style. Wear your helmet, chaps, safety goggles, forearm protectors, faceguard, and chest armour too in case things get out of hand...

oUCH, this debate is getting bloody or what?
This is more fun than the wars I am used to between Nikon and Canon.
The "if you can't handle a chainsaw all day long, then you probably should not be using one in the first place" is getting old though, I must have read it or variation of it on at least 10 occasions on this site. It's more a question of feeling pumped up and in control or feeling hangover and be scared of it. On the other spectrum, anybody who has forgotten all form of warriness from their chainsaw shouldn't be using one either or they should take a break. We all reach that point eventually and that's when it's time to start using your senses and take a step back.
Look at andymoonshine video, at least he was not running the MS261 during his stunt.
Now Andy...check this out and tell me what you think.
I take it that this dude picks the balance of his chainsaws a lot more carefully that the lot of us.
:msp_biggrin::msp_blink::msp_blink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti3MkTt5qv4

Latest posts

Back