Stihl MS 291 Freezing Sticking Kick Back on Cold Start.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarh73

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have done some searching but can't seem to find an answer.

Since brand new, May 2012, my saw has been hard to start from cold. It's the freezing/sticking/locking up/kick back from cold that makes it hard to start. Very difficult to hold the saw down.

It's had only 10 tanks of fuel through it so I took it into the dealer for its first service.
(I might add I fully clean it out after every use)

I mentioned the starting issue and a quick drop test revealed that there is indeed a lot of sticking when cold. Dealer was quite surprised.

Saw seems to run fine otherwise, perfect starts warm or hot, idle is fine, seem to cut alright power wise. I've been doing heaps of very dry eucalyptus wood lately around 16-18 inch diameter seems to cope fine.

I'm just curious about what the cause of the sticking is when starting cold.

Any information greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Justin

It's likely a bearing issue. I would not run it anymore before an inspection of the clutch bearing and crank bearings. Your dealer would probably have a tough time wanting to tear your saw down under "warranty" when it appears to be running fine. He may just suggest run it till it breaks and they'll replace it.

Interesting, hope its not a bearing. :(

It's done it since brand new dealer delivered.

(Not wanting to embarrass myself but I thought I was just getting old and weak and it felt hard to start only to me)

It "feels" like compression related, like if you didn't press the decompression valve.

Thanks for the input.

Cheers

Justin

Last edited:
Well there is six bearing surfaces between the compression and the pull chord.

Still no word from the dealer, dropped in on Monday, rang Tuesday and they hadn't touched it its now 3:00pm Wednesday and no word as yet.

They told me they were super quite when they dropped it so it should be ready quickly.

Will wait till tomorrow and find out what's happening, if anything!

Cheers

Justin

Check the flywheel key. I think on a 291 they are molded into the flywheel. I know 290's are.
I had a guy bring in a 290 with the same issues. The key somehow shifted just a little bit making it hard to start.
Once it was warm, it would start easier. I had the same issues with MS250's.
It's a quick and easy thing to check.

Any pics of flywheel key? I have a related issue on MS 250 which sat under water for about 15 minutes I would guess and I can get the flywheel to budge.

Any pics of flywheel key? I have a related issue on MS 250 which sat under water for about 15 minutes I would guess and I can get the flywheel to budge.

If your flywheel won't turn at all, the bearings are probably froze up from the water.

It won't turn over. I can by hand but is really hard. impossible by pull cord

Pull the plug, make sure there is no water in there and then try and pull it. I have seen saws dropped in water, pulled out drained of water and then restarted.. give it a try you have nothing to lose.

I pulled the plug but didn't pull the starter cord while it was open. That makes sense I will try that. Thank you my friend!

Back