Stihl MS 362 Carburator Removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyway

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post here, but I've been using this site for years to answer my questions via searches. Real quality advice to be found! Thanks for all the help so far.

But it seems my particular saw, a Stihl MS 362 with a pre-electronic carb, is not one that any pro has seen fit to make a video about how to get the carb off! Driving me batty. Everything seems to be hidden in a labyrinth. I'm 99% sure I have gunked up crud in that little bowl with the screen at the bottom of the carb, but I can't figure out how to get at it or clean it out.

The saw, as you might guess from my "99% certain" above is behaving like it is fuel starved. Tank is clean. Fuel filter is clean. Fuel line OK. Plenty of spark. Compression good. Exhaust clean. Spark arrestor clear. I've always run good fuel and Stihl oil in the mix. But I've used this saw in dirty conditions for many, many hours over five years. Finally, during a big milling job, it started to act up and require progressively more drastic tweaks to the carb adjustments. Now, mid job, my saw is down. Can only make it sputter along by constantly goosing the throttle. In the past, with other saws, I simply broke 'em down and cleaned the crud out, but this design has me stumped. I shouldn't have to pay 200 bucks to get a dang carb off, but that's what the shop is asking. I guess even pro shops know how cussed this particular saw is that way.

Thanks in advance,
Rick

It's been a while since I took the carb off of a 362, but it seems like it required taking apart the handle to get the throttle rod out to pull the carb.

Thanks. I did find an exploded parts diagram view. It's looking like that to me too. That's one piece of the puzzle.

Hi all,

This is my first post here, but I've been using this site for years to answer my questions via searches. Real quality advice to be found! Thanks for all the help so far.

But it seems my particular saw, a Stihl MS 362 with a pre-electronic carb, is not one that any pro has seen fit to make a video about how to get the carb off! Driving me batty. Everything seems to be hidden in a labyrinth. I'm 99% sure I have gunked up crud in that little bowl with the screen at the bottom of the carb, but I can't figure out how to get at it or clean it out.

The saw, as you might guess from my "99% certain" above is behaving like it is fuel starved. Tank is clean. Fuel filter is clean. Fuel line OK. Plenty of spark. Compression good. Exhaust clean. Spark arrestor clear. I've always run good fuel and Stihl oil in the mix. But I've used this saw in dirty conditions for many, many hours over five years. Finally, during a big milling job, it started to act up and require progressively more drastic tweaks to the carb adjustments. Now, mid job, my saw is down. Can only make it sputter along by constantly goosing the throttle. In the past, with other saws, I simply broke 'em down and cleaned the crud out, but this design has me stumped. I shouldn't have to pay 200 bucks to get a dang carb off, but that's what the shop is asking. I guess even pro shops know how cussed this particular saw is that way.

Thanks in advance,
Rick
Go to the Beg For Manuals sticky thread to get Repair Manual and IPL illustrated parts list. Those guys are awesome.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

Clean before removing carb. When blow cleaning, put switch to full choke to close butterfly and keep crud out of cylinder..

Oops. I may have messed up that part up the job already. I think the butterfly valve was open when I gave it a blast. I've always been "that guy who could fix stuff for others," but I know I hardly know anything compared to people who work on equipment daily. So, I know from this to clean out everything again once I have the port open, and thanks once more.

Another member came through with the parts diagrams and the service manual. Really impressed by you all and this site. A saw down costs me money. This is my milling saw, and I'm not one of those super pro guys who has spares that are similar and substitutable. Each saw is specialized, so when one goes down, I'm handicapped badly.

Another member came through with the parts diagrams and the service manual. Really impressed by you all and this site. A saw down costs me money. This is my milling saw, and I'm not one of those super pro guys who has spares that are similar and substitutable. Each saw is specialized, so when one goes down, I'm handicapped badly.
Good deal. What are you milling? Don't think of a 60cc to be a milling saw?

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

Thirty Japanese Cedar trees that died in the drought here. They vary, but no more than 16" in diameter and all 30'–35' tall. Making 1 1/2" slabs and ripping those on a table saw, leaving live edges. Customer wants to build a shade pergola on the south side of his house. I'm using the smallest Alaska Mill. On any bigger job I'd rather have a bigger saw and a 2 man mill. It was pretty exhausting, to tell you the truth. Down to the last two trees.

Latest posts

Back