Stihl MS-441 C-M Dies After Idling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run a 15" on my 576XPAT at times, who cares if his customers run a 13" bar, get the **** over to Ireland or in my backyard and see what we may be cutting that day.

Gee an M-Tronic with an issue wow. Who could have thought. From reading this post seems they have finally sold 17 of them.

I was just thinking, they tell me all this now, after I already bought my new 362 C-M !!!! Hopefully I will escape the gremlins!

first post so don't bash me,
the mtronic I think has a problem with the factory set idle screw and they made it tamperproof so it cant be adjusted so they are told to replace it like they did mine and it did fix the problem of dying on my saw.
but at idle the mtronics uses the timing to change the rpm before it uses the fuel to try and speed it up at idle and if not set right it dyes before the fuel can pick it up
metering level can be the problem but it wasn't in my case
I'm watching a 261 with this same problem to see what the fix will be on it but I'm sure they will replace the carb
not impressed with the diagnostic unit they test these saw with, mines been hooked up a dozen times and said there was nothing wrong with the saw before the carb was replaced and said there was something wrong but it didn't know what when the decompression valve was leaking
love the saw , love the power, hate the bugs!

I have a 441 cm r , Ive had stalling problems with from the get go, saw is maybe a month old , put 5 gallons fuel through it would still stall, mine would actually stall when letting off after a cut , it would be like I turned it off not even a stumble first, if I set it down it would stall withing 20 seconds, dropped it off at the dealer and he did the recalibrate thing with the diagnostic tool, said he let it idle for 20 minutes with no issues, picked it up this morning will try it out Saturday really hope it's fixed,

What is the reset I can do without the diagnostic tool

90 seconds with the choke on then turn it off when you blip the throttle
its the same with or without the diagnostic tool hooked up

Are you saying to run the saw for 90 sec with the choke on to re calibrate it? I presume you would only do this if you are having a problem? The idle on my 362 C-M is very low, wish I could adjust it, but it usually just keeps running. I do try not to idle it much, I don't think it is ever good for a saw. That said, I can't stand a saw that won't idle.

MustangMike

yep mine idled very low then got into the dying stage and stihl said to put a new carb on it.
didn't think it was right because the midrange and top end was just as strong as any other c-m I have ran.
the recalibration it think was 60 seconds and the dealer show me a update that shows 90 .
a friends 261 c-m idles like a old john deere B but it has never died
I would like to see some one figure out how turn the idle up for the people out warranty
stihl says don't screw with the screw?

Our customer uses a 20 inch bar.He is a professional with forty years experience. If contributers cant add anything constructive please refrain from mocking me.

No need to get butt hurt about it:

Just trying to understand over revving. I under revved mine with a 8 tooth and low rackers. It ran too ritch.

We are waiting for engineers report.Stihls own oil was used as that is all we sell.The only answer they would give us was that the fuel mixture was within their specs.Crankshaft seals,inlet manifold leak,weak air fuel mix ,we just dont know.

Are you saying to run the saw for 90 sec with the choke on to re calibrate it? I presume you would only do this if you are having a problem? The idle on my 362 C-M is very low, wish I could adjust it, but it usually just keeps running. I do try not to idle it much, I don't think it is ever good for a saw. That said, I can't stand a saw that won't idle.

MustangMike

Here's the actual calibration blub from the manual.

mtronic cal.JPG

I think most people would consider 12% a great success, but I know your standards are high.

Do most M-Tronic saws have a low idle, and do you think I should try that "reset" procedure? I hope to do some cutting on Sat, it has been so darn cold up here. Our high today was 11 degrees! Not fun when the wind blows.

Latest posts

Back