Stihl MS 460 CL Find...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anonym

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I think I got a pretty decent deal on an MS 460 this weekend. Starts easy and seems to run well, and came with a 25" B&C for $200 bones. Everything looks to be in pretty good shape. Did I do decent? Need to clean it up good and check out the piston/cylinder and maybe see about a little muff mod.

The plan is to sell my 034 and stick with this and my 026 for a home owner/small farm line-up. I like the 034, but there's not much it can do that the 026 can't in a lighter package. Am I thinking right, or is the 460 too much of a saw for downing dead trees and cutting up firewood?

Thanks in advance!
Anonym

Might be too big for you. Just send it to me to dispose of for you:D. Sounds like a good deal if it all checks out.

Going to clean up and run the 460 first to make sure it's what I hoped it was, so it's not for sale yet. What's a going price on them these days?

Going price is $225 and I would be willing to give you that for it right now :msp_thumbsup: Sounds like you got a killer deal if it is in good shape. Post some pics.

As long as long as the piston and cylinder look good, you did well.

Seemed like decent compression doing the "drop test" (holding on the pull starter and seeing if the power head would pull itself down). I'll definitely grab some pictures this evening and post them up. Sounds like I may have done alright!

Okay, got to look at it a bit last night and grabbed a few pictures. Took the muffler off and the piston and cylinder look spotless!

There's a little carbon build-up in the exhaust, but that was it. I think I scraped about a pound of built-up oil and grime under the muffler, and need to give it an overall cleaning, but she's all there and in good order. Did notice a small crack at the rear of the clutch cover, but otherwise nothing major wrong!

Here's a few pics of the current family (026, 034, 460). Think I'm going to drop the 20" bar from the 034 on the 460 for her normal attire and save the 25" bar for when it's needed. That 034 has some identifying marks etched in the plastic and on the front of the metal housing, but is a good running and clean saw. Going to miss her...

I would keep all 3 its a good 3 saw plan. Realistically I would let a novice run an 034 with close supervision but I would not give my 460 to a novice. If you ever cut with a buddy the 034 could be very handy.

I would keep all 3 its a good 3 saw plan. Realistically I would let a novice run an 034 with close supervision but I would not give my 460 to a novice. If you ever cut with a buddy the 034 could be very handy.

+1 for me. A nice three saw plan. But the nay sayers will be by. I say hang on to them! :D

Tried the 3-saw plan before and got nixed by the wife, otherwise I'd be all about it! I promised her I'd sell the 034 if the 460 panned out to repay the cash I borrowed from the household budget to pick it up.

In all seriousness, how much is a reasonable asking price for the 034? I don't think I should have any problems recovering my expenses, but it would be nice to maybe pocket a little extra off the deal to grab a spare chain or something for this season. :dunno:

I wouldnt give more than $250 for an 034 with no bar and it would have to be real nice for that money. I wouldnt think twice about $200 for a clean 034 with a good bar and chain. Different markets may bring more but those are retail prices around here. You shoud be able to make your money back no problem but alot of extra will be hard to get.

Sounds fair enough! I will probably sell it with the bar and chain as I've got a spare I can use on the 460. Thanks for the info!

Back