Stihl MS170 for $100 opinions please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hickslawns

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just bought a MS170 off my brother in law for $100. Didn't need it, but he needed the money and wouldn't take a handout. (The answer is "NO" for those with replies offering to take his handout lol). I have an 029 Farmboss which has treated me well for 11 years. Have a Husky 155 (I think) with 18" bar that has been nice for smaller stuff. Definately lighter than the 029. Is the 170 decent for anything? For what it is worth, the thing doesn't have any paint scratched off the bar yet. Opinions. Let it sit? Give it to my Dad when the piece of Poulan poop he bought last year quits? Try to sell? For $100 I can't complain, I just don't know if it is worth keeping if I am not going to use it much. It sure is light though.

dang good trim saw's will shure cut up limb's around the house
a buddy of mine use's a 017 for a back up saw, he's cut alot of small wood with it also

I have used a MS 170 for 3 years without any problems so far. It starts easily is very lightweight and has served its purpose for me well enough especially for a low end saw.

just sold a stihl 017 for $125 on craigslist... condition was close to new.. a great little saw.. so long as you know it's really meant for smaller wood. definitely stay with the tiny pico chain

locally Asplunt issues MS170 for their climbing saws

uses a lot of plastics all over... pretty reliable little saw.. starts good... cuts good... keep that chain sharp..

I just put one together recently for trimming and for my son to learn.As said above its small and lots of plastic but its a Stihl and if used for what it is I think its a good saw worth keeping.:)

Latest "sale" price on new MS170 in local newspaper ad: $179.99...I love mine, got the new type of chain just introduced (heck, I forgot the designation!) and cuts great...

i use mine as my second saw, when the dolmar w/ the 28" bar is just too big for the situation. love that little saw...

Thanks for the replies. Probably keep it. Actually dropped it off at my Dad's tonight and told him to try it out for me. His crap Poulan needs to be recycled on craigslist and he can just keep it. After a quadruple bypass, he doesn't need to yank the Poulan 30 times to start it. The Stihl might suit him better. Not going to stop him from getting out and working anyway, so I will just try to slow him down from hitting the big stuff. lol

I've used a pair of 017's and 170's for years for firewood. Finally upgraded to a Husky 353 this year but the small Stihl is still great for small limbing work and trail clearing.

When I'm clearing bridal trails in the state forest, I usually bring along the 017 and a big old Farm Boss. The 017 gets 95% of the use.

Ken

Run a 018 great little saw first one i ever owned it has to be about 8 years old now. The paint has been wore off the bar for at least 4 of those years runs like a top. I let the guy that helps me cut run that he cuts all the limbs with it and i cut the big stuff with the 361 works out great. I get the easy/fun cutting.

Back