Stihl ms170 questions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josh1981

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
How is everyone tonight? Long story short I am looking for a small firewood/trim saw. Ms170 comes to mind. Can anyone tell me about this saw? If I'm correct the carb only has an idle screw? How does this work high up in elevation to sea level? Like an m tronic 441? Does it idle smooth like a 192tc?

Thanks.

Ive never used one myself but my dad bought one new. He is not at all impressed with it. But what can you expect from a saw that he bought new for less than 200.00 on sale. I hear the 180 is only 20.00 or so more and packs 20% more power over the 170. If I were going to buy one I would most likely go for the 180 and leave the 170 on the shelf. Good luck. Rick!

go for the 180

i have had my ms180 for 4 weeks now, and it suprised me. it cuts very well with a 16 inch bar.
my dealer told me to not even consider the 170 because the 180 is only $15 more and more powerful. i have noticed that when im cutting in the coast range mountains around here it doesnt want to stay idling, i turned up the idle a bit, and it works ok. but it works excellent at lower elevations

I have had a few 180's here. They work very well where we live. You have to be careful with the chain, but when sharp it cuts surprisingly well. I am actually going to hold on to the next 018 that passes by.

I bought one new some years ago, beat it up pretty good, did a 'lil muff mod, woke it up, but it never ran right after it fell off the truck. It lasted 4 years. It was ok for limbing, brushcutting up to 4-5" diameter stuff, I will be getting a 180 soon. Use the PMMC chain, it replaced the old PMN series, dress the rakers a little....

i have a 170 and bought my stepson a 180 there is not a noticable power difference between them.the cut better than i would have thought a 30cc would.i wont hesitate to buy another they're great for small stuff.

I have had a 170 for about 4 years now, never had a problem with it. Keep the chain sharp and it will work just fine for you. Going to be doing a muffler mod and airbox mod soon see how that will wake it up. Not sure about the elevation question

How is everyone tonight? Long story short I am looking for a small firewood/trim saw. Ms170 comes to mind. Can anyone tell me about this saw? If I'm correct the carb only has an idle screw? How does this work high up in elevation to sea level? Like an m tronic 441? Does it idle smooth like a 192tc?

Thanks.

It sure doesn't sound like you need a pro saw, so don't let anybody talk you in to one (Unless you just want a pro saw, but it'll cost ya more). All I've had for the past 10 years was a little Stihl MS 170. Bought it brand new back in 2001 for $149 (Now $180). Super light, reliable as dirt, and a pure pleasure to use. I've cut over 50 full cords with it. With a 14" bar, cut more than a few 24"+ trees with it to. For the money, it's a nice saw and will do just about anything you ask of it. 2 Other nice saws are the 250 and 290. Stihl sells more 250's and 290's then all of their other models combined.

MS170, $180, 1.7HP, 8.6lbs.
MS250, $299, 3.0HP, 10.1lbs. (Very nice saw !)
MS290 Farm Boss, $349, 3.8PH, 13lbs. (This is Stihl's biggest bang for the buck. Uses old tried and true technology.)

I just bought a Stihl MS 290 Farm Boss to compliment my little 170. I didn't "NEED" a new say. I just "WANTED" a new saw. (CAD).

Having said all of this, I'm not really "pro Stihl." There just happens to be a lot of Stihl shops around me. You should check out ALL of the major saw manufacture, and get what YOU like, are most comfortable with, and can afford. We're just sharing our personal experiences with you to give you some food for thought.

Best to buy from a chain saw shop for the added support. I don't know if Poulan, Echo, and Efco,are only sold at big box stores, or if some chain saw dealers carry them. Unless you're pretty saw savvy (and it doesn't sound like you are), probably best to stay away from a used saw (Ebay, Craig's List, etc.)

ANY new saw you get is gonna be a great saw. Heck, sometimes Tractor Supply puts the Poulan "Wild Thing" on sale for $99 including a carrying case. It's not on sale right now, but check it out. http://www.tractorsupply.com/poulan-reg-18-in-40-cc-wild-thing-chainsaw-3921750 Nothing wrong with a "Wind Thing". You'll find posts about them in this forum. I'd sooner have a Stihl, but that's just me. I'm just trying to give you some options.

Don <><

Last edited:
Well I do have a 441 magnum Stihl 260 pro Stihl 261 192tc. Now a small firewood saw trim saw that can be used with 192tc.. Not always safe to use 192.

Hey don did you need to replace anything on 170 besides bar and chain?

It sure doesn't sound like you need a pro saw, so don't let anybody talk you in to one (Unless you just want a pro saw, but it'll cost ya more). All I've had for the past 10 years was a little Stihl MS 170. Bought it brand new back in 2001 for $149 (Now $180). Super light, reliable as dirt, and a pure pleasure to use. I've cut over 50 full cords with it. With a 14" bar, cut more than a few 24"+ trees with it to. For the money, it's a nice saw and will do just about anything you ask of it. 2 Other nice saws are the 250 and 290. Stihl sells more 250's and 290's then all of their other models combined.

MS170, $180, 1.7HP, 8.6lbs.
MS250, $299, 3.0HP, 10.1lbs. (Very nice saw !)
MS290 Farm Boss, $349, 3.8PH, 13lbs. (This is Stihl's biggest bang for the buck. Uses old tried and true technology.)

I just bought a Stihl MS 290 Farm Boss to compliment my little 170. I didn't "NEED" a new say. I just "WANTED" a new saw. (CAD).

Having said all of this, I'm not really "pro Stihl." There just happens to be a lot of Stihl shops around me. You should check out ALL of the major saw manufacture, and get what YOU like, are most comfortable with, and can afford. We're just sharing our personal experiences with you to give you some food for thought.

Best to buy from a chain saw shop for the added support. I don't know if Poulan, Echo, and Efco,are only sold at big box stores, or if some chain saw dealers carry them. Unless you're pretty saw savvy (and it doesn't sound like you are), probably best to stay away from a used saw (Ebay, Craig's List, etc.)

ANY new saw you get is gonna be a great saw. Heck, sometimes Tractor Supply puts the Poulan "Wild Thing" on sale for $99 including a carrying case. It's not on sale right now, but check it out. Poulan® 18 in. 40 cc Wild Thing Chainsaw - 3921750 | Tractor Supply Company Nothing wrong with a "Wind Thing". You'll find posts about them in this forum. I'd sooner have a Stihl, but that's just me. I'm just trying to give you some options.

Don <><

Dont be afraid of a 170. Its been a damn fine little saw for myself. Always did what it had to do without a whimper. Starts like a champ, runs very well. IMO, the only saw i would buy for under 200 bucks new.

Friends don't let friends buy 170s.

LOL

Just because they don't do well w/ timed cut's, does not mean they don't have a purpose.:laugh:

I originally got mine for Carving and since it has a chain break and safety chain, it would be a good saw for the Wife or Son to run.
But since I cut the exhaust exit louvers out (essentially a muffler modifcation) it picked up a little speed and noise, they don't want any part of it.
And due to the fact of the single carb screw its a bear to adjust, mine is either Idle or full thottle which is undesireable for carving.

This saw, last time I knew, was the smallest gas that there is/was therefore it's excellent for limbing.

I would also like to know if there is any carb. upgrades for this saw!!!!

Ah HA! Found it! http://www.arboristsite.com/modded-work-saws/156627.htm

Last edited:
Hey don did you need to replace anything on 170 besides bar and chain?

Hi Josh. Yea. after 10 years of use (abuse). In November 2011, I had the chain oiler cleaned out, and put on a new sprocket when I bought my new MS290. I bought the 170 in 2002 when I bought my land, but didn't really start using it till 2005 when I put in a wood burner. Since then, I've worked the snot out of that little 170 and it just kept tick'n all these years. I was gonna get another 170 as a back-up (at least that was my intent when I walked in the saw shop), but started playing with the 250 and 290. Then it hit me. TTS. (Tim Taylor Syndrome ~ more power, Ugh Ugh Ugh !) So I sprang for the 290. I couldn't be more pleased with it.

Don

Back