Stihl MS180 clutch question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dieseldave

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a couple of busted up MS180's, trying to make one runner from the two of them. Trouble is, I need to get the clutches off of both of them, but I don't know how they're held on. Threaded onto the crank? Keyed? How do they come off?

They are threaded. BE VERY CAREFUL!!! There have been several connecting rods bent here using non-factory tools to remove those clutches. I suggest removing the flywheel first, and then using an impact on these with the spark plug in. Good luck. It is LH thread BTW.

I have used a plastic piston stop and this has worked for these smaller engines. The rods are known to bend before the clutch comes off. Remove the flywheel first so you don't shear the keyway.

Impact, OUCH!! sometimes its needed. Try, plug out, fill cyclinder with some rope and gently take off first. Should be reverse thread...

I have used a plastic piston stop and this has worked for these smaller engines. The rods are known to bend before the clutch comes off. Remove the flywheel first so you don't shear the keyway.

maybe a stupid question, but how would you shear the keyway

Impact, OUCH!! sometimes its needed. Try, plug out, fill cyclinder with some rope and gently take off first. Should be reverse thread...

This is one of the (many) ways that has been used to effectively bend 180 rods. If you use rope, you need to make sure the piston is very close to halfway up the bore. Too close to TDC or BDC, and the rod will bend like it is aluminum.

maybe a stupid question, but how would you shear the keyway

The impact will turn the crank inside of the flywheel. The key is molded into the flywheel. It will be wiped away by the sharp edge of the crank cutout, even without loosening the flywheel nut. DO NOT ask me how I know this. :msp_ohmy:

Thanks for all the replies, you guys probably saved at least one con rod. I already found out about the keyway, luckily I have a second flywheel.

Latest posts

Back