Stihl MS180 MS200 MS211 Comparison

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger-Time

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
In no way did I need a another saw of any kind, but what the heck.
Been selling few parts saw's and some I put together out of parts.
So I went to dealer and dropped $800 for the MS211, chains and
saw parts.

Anyway, I thought I would do a comparison of these 3 saws over time.
Today will just be some pictuers and Specifications. First spec pic is for
018, but it's the same as 180 (AFAIK)

Tomorrow I will weigh the little fellers :) and some more spec.
Yes I put a used bar on the 211 and put the new one up.

L.jpg

R.jpg

T.jpg

180.jpg

Stihl's web site shows the 211 having more HP than 200, but repair
manual shows both at 1.7KW :confused:....Both are same bore and stroke
and the 200 listed at more rpms.

200.jpg

211.jpg

Video is just for how each saw sounds, MS200 spark screen out, MS180
muffler opened a little, MS211 stock.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://s116.photobucket.com/flash/player.swf?file=http://vid116.photobucket.com/albums/o27/Trigger-Time_photos/Movie/180200211.flv"></embed>

Last edited:
they all sound great man. i love thast 180 i have one also muffler modded big difference right there, that 211 is sure nice too! sounds great!

looks like engine is a little more difficult to work on 211- am i right?

The 211 needs at least 15 tanks of fuel to come alive. I don't have much time on a 200 but the 211 felt better and had more power. The 180 doesn't stand a chance.

The 211 needs at least 15 tanks of fuel to come alive. I don't have much time on a 200 but the 211 felt better and had more power. The 180 doesn't stand a chance.

At least 15 tanks! My 441 and 211 took forever to come alive but when they do it's like they blew the guts out of the muffler. I have a buddy that runs a 390 and he about $hit the first time he ran my 441 yesterday. I never seen whiter knuckles in my life. As far as the 200 goes, my 211 is much faster than my bros 200t, he laughed his but off at it when I bought and now he owns one for cutting around the house and can't say enough about it. After the local dealer ran one for a few days cutting up some wood for the shop burner he said he pushes that saw to every homeowner wanting a saw and even to the local tree services. Said he orders 15 at a time and they fly off the shelf. My question is how did you spend $800? You must have bought alot of chains and parts.

looks like engine is a little more difficult to work on 211- am i right?

Really don't know yet.........I did put a bigger bucking spike on it :)

I changed carb on 180, IMO it won't be as as bad as you think......we will see.

At least 15 tanks! My 441 and 211 took forever to come alive but when they do it's like they blew the guts out of the muffler.

As far as the 200 goes, my 211 is much faster than my bros 200t,

My question is how did you spend $800? You must have bought alot of chains and parts.

After just one tank 211 sounds better.

I don't think even after the 211 is broken in it will run off from my 200.
Rope test or just starting saw 200 has more compression and they are
same bore and stroke.

Yes, I bought a few parts and a set of tines for Wife's little Stihl tiller.

same bore and stroke.

Thats cool, I'm not doubting your saws abilities. We are just giving a friendly reminder that the 211 takes longer to break in than any of the older saws. I'm looking forward to the tests.:cheers: The 211 is a very nice saw, love mine and would add another in a second.:D

same bore and stroke.

The rope thing on the new motors isn't very reliable at all. When I got my 441 it was a demo and ran very strong but my 9 yr old son could start it without the decomp. That worried me a bit so I compression tested it warm and it was 155. I think they have added some sort of a spring assist with the new motors. I could be wrong but for some reason they pull much easier. Give the 211 a good 10-15 tanks and run it with the 200, you'll be surprised, Like I said I can take my bros 200t with his running a 14" and mine running a 16" and beat it in the cut but mine is very very broke in.

I may get a bad fooling, I know the 211 is not broke in but running
the 180 and 211 side by side and 180 running .050 7T and 211 running
6T, 211 feels no faster than 180. I need to get a 6T for 180 so all will be
the same, I could switch drums around...........but I will wait and get another drum.

I may get a bad fooling, I know the 211 is not broke in but running
the 180 and 211 side by side and 180 running .050 7T and 211 running
6T, 211 feels no faster than 180. I need to get a 6T for 180 so all will be
the same, I could switch drums around...........but I will wait and get another drum.

The one thing that impressed me about mine when it new was the pulling power, you could lean into it and it just kept going. After it gets broke in it's a little screamer. Why don't you do me a favor and mod the muffler so all the 211 owners can see what happens.

The one thing that impressed me about mine when it new was the pulling power, you could lean into it and it just kept going. After it gets broke in it's a little screamer. Why don't you do me a favor and mod the muffler so all the 211 owners can see what happens.

Not yet..........I want one saw, thats not so loud :)

I keeps rainning here, off and on..............I would hate to work in the PNW

I don't know if you can tell what I was trying to do by this chart.

Saws where weighted with 16" .050 Picco Bar and chains and full
of fuel and oil. In chart I used 5 lbs per gallon to subtract fuel and oil weight.
I belive the power head weight of MS200 that stihl has listed is wrong, I think
the weight they have listed is for the MS200T, Like I said before, Repair manual
list MS200/MS200T 1.7 kw/2.3hp not the 1.6kw/2.1hp listed on web site.

chart.jpg

Last edited:
One thing makes me think about the torque of these saws. Look at what rpms clutches
engages at, MS180 4100 rpm, MS200 3700 rpm and MS211 5100rpm!!!

Seems 211 needs to get wound up................

Last edited:
My buddies wife just gave him a 211 for an early fathers day gift. He brought it out to run it for a few tanks and before he did I grabbed it to make sure the carb was right, I turned it upside down and happened to notice a crack right below the sprocket.. Brand new never made a cut with it. Hopefully the dealer hands him a new on tomorrow and doesn't pull the normal stihl only sends parts crap.

same bore and stroke.

thats cool.

Carb on 211,

L screw is not limted, H screw is. I taped off carb and cut
limt stop off screw..........really no need to, just don't like'm :)

PICT0015.jpg

My buddies wife just gave him a 211 for an early fathers day gift. He brought it out to run it for a few tanks and before he did I grabbed it to make sure the carb was right, I turned it upside down and happened to notice a crack right below the sprocket.. Brand new never made a cut with it. Hopefully the dealer hands him a new on tomorrow and doesn't pull the normal stihl only sends parts crap.

He should get a new one, we hope..........When I was looking at the 211 at dealer, he had to go help parts guy, Logger brought a Husky 395 in that he bought 3-June and he was upset! Looks as if factory didn't get clutch on tight or threads where bad on clutch. Clutch had come off on first tank of fuel. Dealer put a new clutch on, told him if had any more problems to bring it back...........Logger said, OH I will!! then grined

He should get a new one, we hope..........When I was looking at the 211 at dealer, he had to go help parts guy, Logger brought a Husky 395 in that he bought 3-June and he was upset! Looks as if factory didn't get clutch on tight or threads where bad on clutch. Clutch had come off on first tank of fuel. Dealer put a new clutch on, told him if had any more problems to bring it back...........Logger said, OH I will!! then grined

I would assume that because it's a brand new saw that he should just hand him a new one. It hasn't even seen a wood chip yet. Why would you want a new saw that needs parts from the dealer before you even used it.

IMO, I like the feel of the MS200 (rear handle) better than 180 or 211.
Top and rear handle are little farther apart on the 200, I also like
the oblong (kind of flat) top handle on 200 and 200 is more compact
and holds more fuel and bar oil than 180 or 211 and weighs less than
the others.

IMO, I like the feel of the MS200 (rear handle) better than 180 or 211.
Top and rear handle are little farther apart on the 200, I also like
the oblong (kind of flat) top handle on 200 and 200 is more compact
and holds more fuel and bar oil than 180 or 211 and weighs less than
the others.

And unfortunately costs nearly double!

Latest posts

Back