stihl ms250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapper

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I think this is the saw i am going with. The farmboss is just too heavy and i dont believe i will notice the differemce in power. I got to looking and comparing the husky 350 to the stihl 250 the husky has more cc's but the power output it almost the same. So i have ruled out the husky. What do you all think about the ms250? Good saw? pretty good power?? Now about chains, it comes with saftey chain, the dealer said he would change the chain to a more aggressive cutting chain. Would this be a good move on this saw or should i just go with what comes on it??? I need your alls thoughts!!!

LAter snapper

If the dealer will remove the RM2 chain and provide you with RM or RS, that's a no-brainer; do it!  The RM2 is heavier and does not cut well across the nose of the bar, as when cutting wood larger than the bar or when boring with it.

Glen

sounds like a good deal if he will change it for you. i have run the farm boss and it is a good runner, but had some problems dealing with live trees. it had no problems with the dead cherry that i was cutting. i am still in the process of looking for a new saw, but i am looking for something a little bigger like a stihl 361 or 440 or a husky 365 or 372. i am doing some heavy cutting and want a good saw to put up with the abuse.

I agree with Mike that you should spend a bit more and get a better saw. However, rather than Husky, I would go with the MS260 Pro, but that's just my opinion. ;)

Definately get the RS chain. The ones that the saws come with for safety reasons suck.

I've had a MS250c for about a year and a half and here are my thoughts on it for what they are worth...$0.02 :) .
Light and good power, excellent for limbing tops and cutting wood say up to 10" or so in diameter.
If I were to do it again would not pay extra on the c- model with the quick chain adjust feature. Adds weight and complexity that is not needed IMO. More parts and trouble to deal with when doing the simple chore of cleaning the bar and flipping it.
Where the air filter snaps in, the joint there allows dust to get into the saw, I use some heavy axle type grease there to stop the dust from getting by.
As I said just my $0.02 worth.

Latest posts

Back