MS 201t Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKendrick87

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, what are my options for a more aggressive chain on this saw? Current set up is 16” bar w/ Stihl 3610 005-0055. Bar and Chain is in picture below. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_0479.jpeg
    IMG_0479.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0478.jpeg
    IMG_0478.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Honestly "aggressive" is a pretty subjective word. Sometimes just a different rim sprocket will make the difference you want, sometimes its a entire pitch change! On small chains you can switch to 1/4 pitch (bar, chain, clutch rim) and get a somewhat faster, smoother cutting saw but with some losses while in big wood. Your best bet with 1/4 is making sure you stick with 050 gauge otherwise the bars get pretty flimsy and prone to dropping the chain. If you wanted to keep the 3/8 pitch, you can always make your own loops or change the rim sprocket to find what you want. What really matters is what feels good to you.

Honestly "aggressive" is a pretty subjective word. Sometimes just a different rim sprocket will make the difference you want, sometimes its an entire pitch change! On small chains you can switch to 1/4 pitch (bar, chain, clutch rim) and get a somewhat faster, smoother cutting saw but with some losses while in big wood. Your best bet with 1/4 is making sure you stick with 050 gauge otherwise the bars get pretty flimsy and prone to dropping the chain. If you wanted to keep the 3/8 pitch, you can always make your own loops or change the rim sprocket to find what you want. What really matters is what feels good to you.
So I guess what I mean to say is a full chisel or semi chisel non safety. (yellow chain)

Well full chisel is by design more aggressive if that is what you were wondering about. It dulls pretty quickly on coniferous bark though, so on a 201T it depends on how often you sharpen and what you cut.

Latest posts

Back