Stihl MS260 Starts, Revs off Choke, then dies

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What was the result with that saw now?
Pretty sure it was the main seals I ended up putting 2 in the clutch side I messed the first one up. While I was at it replaced the lines. Well this is where the disaster happened I ripped but didn't realize I ripped the fuel line almost in half. Well I was able to get the saw started wouldn't run. I had enough so I sent it to Old Cat and he discovered the torn fuel line and still has it ensuring that it is truly fixed.

Pretty sure it was the main seals I ended up putting 2 in the clutch side I messed the first one up. While I was at it replaced the lines. Well this is where the disaster happened I ripped but didn't realize I ripped the fuel line almost in half. Well I was able to get the saw started wouldn't run. I had enough so I sent it to Old Cat and he discovered the torn fuel line and still has it ensuring that it is truly fixed.
He is a good ole cat eh?

That was my first thought. You said you cleaned carb and I assumed you didn't rebuild it. Rebuilding is a must on a saw that hasn't run for a year or more.
Would've been rebuilt if the local shop didn't want a ridiculous amount for the kit. So, now we wait for the magical delivery fairy to wing a kit to my door in no time.
Cleaning the carb at least got it from a no-fire situation to where it is now. I consider it progress.

My apologies for not ending the discussion sooner... the carb kit arrived late in the day yesterday, and with the poor weather today I was able to replace the suspicious metering diaphragm and do a proper rebuild. After reinstalling the carb, with a bit of tuning, the saw now runs very nicely, starts up, revs up, runs, and idles well once warm (takes awhile at 10 degrees Fahrenheit). A bit of sharpening to the dull chain and it even cuts nicely.

Regardless of position, the saw holds idle, doesn't run erratically when laid on either side, and overall does what I expected it to.

Thanks again for everyone's sage advice and words of wisdom.

My apologies for not ending the discussion sooner... the carb kit arrived late in the day yesterday, and with the poor weather today I was able to replace the suspicious metering diaphragm and do a proper rebuild. After reinstalling the carb, with a bit of tuning, the saw now runs very nicely, starts up, revs up, runs, and idles well once warm (takes awhile at 10 degrees Fahrenheit). A bit of sharpening to the dull chain and it even cuts nicely.

Regardless of position, the saw holds idle, doesn't run erratically when laid on either side, and overall does what I expected it to.

Thanks again for everyone's sage advice and words of wisdom.
Hello i have the exact same issue your having like spot on i havent tried changing the carb yet but what is thr metering diaphram?

Latest posts

Back