Stihl ms261 Awesome

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Nice weather today and decided to cut up some stuff I saw on the shoulder of the road the other day. About half a cord, 12 inch diameter stuff, about 50 pieces ready to burn.. Saw is still relatively new, but so sweet. A real pleasure running it today.

I had better finish up or be tempted to fire up for the first time the brand new 500i. I figure this road side stuff, ready to burn, will still be around come spring time and will break-in the 500i perfectly.

I’ve got the 261 and 500i pair too. I feel like a 400 would make an amazing trio but the 500 really isn’t that much heavier. Especially with a 20” light bar on it.
All three are fine saws, the 400 cannot be ordered now due to back orders already in for them.
I am taking the 400 and 500 for a stretch hopefully next week if the weather cools down to normal temps this time of year helping my neighbor cut up a large oak already down and some dead trees that must leave.
The little 261 will also be on hand.

All three are fine saws, the 400 cannot be ordered now due to back orders already in for them.
I am taking the 400 and 500 for a stretch hopefully next week if the weather cools down to normal temps this time of year helping my neighbor cut up a large oak already down and some dead trees that must leave.
The little 261 will also be on hand.

In my case the 261 never hesitated. This morning, with my Fiskars, I hand split 15 logs and 1/2 were ready to burn and the other 1/2 were still green. It made no difference to the saw running a 3/8, Skip, Chisel 20" chain. My 5 cords of wood stacked for this winter is now full, but there is 2/3 of the several trees down for me to get in the coming days. I'm looking forward to running the 261, on what will likely be my 5th or 6th tank of gas.

A few weeks ago I was grabbing parts at the local JD dealer, and they're the Stihl dealer in town. There was one 500i tucked in the back corner, so I grabbed it to take a look. I cannot believe how light that saw is for its cc. I can't remember if it was a 20 or 24 bar, but wow. That saw is lighter than Dad's 55 husky, closer to my 445 for weight. I set it back down when I saw the price tag LOL

A few weeks ago I was grabbing parts at the local JD dealer, and they're the Stihl dealer in town. There was one 500i tucked in the back corner, so I grabbed it to take a look. I cannot believe how light that saw is for its cc. I can't remember if it was a 20 or 24 bar, but wow. That saw is lighter than Dad's 55 husky, closer to my 445 for weight. I set it back down when I saw the price tag LOL

Saws are cheap, over the ten years of cutting 10 cords of wood. This year I sold two saws First the 10yo ms290, at nearly my cost. 2nd was the ms461, after 5 years of use at exactly my cost. I expect the same with both the new 261 and the 500i.

I'm still running a 2015 version-1 MS261. Easily 2 to 300+hours run time, nothing has broke down just replaced the clutch, clutch drum, bearing, many sprockets, wore out 2 bars and wearing out another 3 (Stihl/Tsumura/Windsor), one leaky oil cap & its second spark plug. I only replaced those parts from wear not from failure. Great saws the MS261 feed them fresh gas and you can run the be-jeasus out of them. Never not once has it not started up & failed to complete a work job.

Of my mid to bigger saws I have a 261, 390 and 400. Got rid of my 460 and went to the 400 I just don't get into the real big stuff anymore. I know people bag the 390 but I built this one up out of a new 290 that someone straight gassed, looked like it was a week old. I ported it and opened the muffler. I love that saw. Learning to love the 400 and the 261 is sitting right now.

Really debating pulling the trigger on a 400

At $800 to $850, it looks like a lot of saw for the money. Also right in the middle of the 261 and the 500i when it comes to power. It is tempting. But as my 261 runs a 20" 3/8 skip chisel, it really already does what I would want from the 400. Just can't lean into the 261 like I might wish to do with the 400.

At $800 to $850, is looks like a lot of saw for the money. Also right in the middle of the 261 and the 500i when it comes to power. It is tempting. But as my 261 runs a 20" 3/8 skip chisel, it really already does what I would want from the 400. Just can't lean into the 261 like I might wish to do with the 400.
Same! I run an 18” full on the 261 though.

At $800 to $850, is looks like a lot of saw for the money. Also right in the middle of the 261 and the 500i when it comes to power. It is tempting. But as my 261 runs a 20" 3/8 skip chisel, it really already does what I would want from the 400. Just can't lean into the 261 like I might wish to do with the 400.
They are in the $900 dollar range here depending on bar length. Since my 261 and 462 were stolen a few weeks back and although they have been found but don't know when I'll get them back, I needed a saw. (Sounded like a good excuse to tell the wife). Picked this up today.
20211012_150124.jpg

They are in the $900 dollar range here depending on bar length. Since my 261 and 462 were stolen a few weeks back and although they have been found but don't know when I'll get them back, I needed a saw. (Sounded like a good excuse to tell the wife). Picked this up today.
View attachment 934640
It’s not even dirty yet!

I've got the 261/462 combination as well. I've got to say, 9 times out of 10 I grab the 261 for whatever needs to be done, unless the tree is just too big to bother with the 261. With a pair of torn rotator cuffs, sometimes it hurts to just scratch my head, so I try to grab the lightest whatever I can get away with.

Another 500i & 261CM pair here, both bought this year so they are fresh, 18 on the 261 and 28 on the 500i.
I have also struggled not to add a 400 to the equation but with the ease of use the 261 brings combined with the sheer fun factor of the 500 I still haven’t figured where the 400 would fit in other than the tingle Id get each time I looked at all three of them lined up on the shelf together.

Pardon my lack of knowledge, but what is the difference between a ms261 and a ms291 I got 10 years ago

Back