Stihl MS291 Strange Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've run into a Stihl MS291 that has good compression and spark but makes a whap whap sound when cranked and will not start. My first guess is that the crankshaft bearings and seals are shot, but there is no play or wobble on the flywheel or clutch. Everything seems tight. I have removed the muffler and checked the rings and they look OK. Frankly, I have never heard a whap whap sound like this before. I suppose there could be something banging against the crank shaft, but whatever it is, the saw refuses to fire and run. Anyone ever run into this? Any ideas what gave up or what is causing this noise?

bent rod maybe ?
I hope not, but that's certainly a possibility. This saw's compression has been really high in the past and the engine has had remarkable power to the point where a decomp valve would have made a nice addition. I've never started a 56 cc saw that was this tough to pull. Regardless, it looks like a repair is going to take a top-end rebuild.

I've run into a Stihl MS291 that has good compression and spark but makes a whap whap sound when cranked and will not start. My first guess is that the crankshaft bearings and seals are shot, but there is no play or wobble on the flywheel or clutch. Everything seems tight. I have removed the muffler and checked the rings and they look OK. Frankly, I have never heard a whap whap sound like this before. I suppose there could be something banging against the crank shaft, but whatever it is, the saw refuses to fire and run. Anyone ever run into this? Any ideas what gave up or what is causing this noise?
If not the cover, it could be the crankshaft itself. We had one go in an 1127 series and it made the same sound you’re describing. Main bearings were tight.

Great replies, guys. Looks like it's going to require a take down of the top end, regardless. The extra high compression that I noticed could have eventually broken loose these side transfer port covers or bent the crankshaft as mentioned in Post #6. It's somewhat surprising that most of the compression is still there, but whatever is causing the whap whap is also blocking the ability of the engine to run at all. It sounds a bit like a cement mixer.

I checked that and reset the gap which, in fact, was a tad too small (about .005"). Coil bolts were tight. Spark is good but no change. Still getting the whap whap and no start. Frankly, I was hoping you were right.
Split / cracked piston, cylinder or transfer leak / crack.

The whap whap noise effect disappears without the spark plug in. If under compression, the noise returns immediately as the starter cord is pulled.
Is the plug wet when its in, is there a flood of fuel going into the cylinder by any chance.

Latest posts

Back