Stihl ms310 sparkplug stripped..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLD MAN GRINDER

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi everybody..

Yesterday i was cutting down some stumps b4 grinding and my 310 just quit, after inspection i seen that it threw the plug, apparently the last time i had it into dealer for service they stripped out the plug threads in the head, my question is how do i fix it, will i have to buy a new engine which would mean probably replacing the saw or can i fix the threads, i would like to know my options b4 i take it into dealer as i am sure they will say they did not do it, the last time i took it in was at least a year ago for tune up and sprocket replacement, i do not use it a lot as i usually use my 660 for stump work but this time the stumps were not real big under 24 inches so i decided to use the 310, don't relish the idea of buying another saw so i hope it can be fixed, all info will be greatly appreciated...

Thx much...

Bob....:cheers:

You should just send it to me since it now total junk.... :)

Just kidding, well almost.

There are two approaches to fixing this, and both would be best if you pulled the cylinder off the crank case to ensure you don't leave any chips in there:

1) Run a tap of the proper thread pitch and size from the inside out
2) If #1 doesn't work then you can use Helicoil replacement threads

Sounds like your "dealer" is a jackass!

Hope this helps! :chainsaw:

Kit

[video=youtube_share;KW-JXgQSge8]http://youtu.be/KW-JXgQSge8[/video]

[video=youtube_share;g1n4O1Vg50w]http://youtu.be/g1n4O1Vg50w[/video]

[video=youtube_share;9AmX9NwNG_Q]http://youtu.be/9AmX9NwNG_Q[/video]

This is the best solution short of tig welding the hole and retaping.

We remove the cylinder and helicoil them, haven't had one fail yet. We did a Husky 390 last week with excellent results.

if its not too late before you tear into it i'd talk to the shop and see what theyll do, ask for manager if the counter guy gives you a hard time, but on the other note i've had goodluck with the helicoil plug repair sets.

Helicoil for sure. I had a shop do the same thing to a snowblower years ago - of course they claimed it wasn't them. I did the helicoil and it lasted two heavy seasons before I sold the machine and never heard from the new owner of an issue.

You really shouldnt be trying to blame your dealer if they have not touched the saw in over a year.
The plug has very likely been run loose and wore the threads out of the head.

As for Rullywowr why would you call his dealer a jackass. The dealer has not even been approached about the problem. At least give the guy a chance to see how he will deal with it.

Worst case

You might have to get a new cylinder and then do a complete rebuild but that would make that saw even better might be cheaper than having someone doing the helicoil trick

Never know to you find out the price

Worst case

You might have to get a new cylinder and then do a complete rebuild but that would make that saw even better might be cheaper than having someone doing the helicoil trick

Never know to you find out the price

Like possibly time for the Baileys 390 kit?:D

Thx for all the help everybody, i am going to take it to the dealer tomorrow and
see what he suggests, maybe i should have been checking the plug periodically for tightness, but i did not know u had to do that, never have had that problem on any small engine i have owned, i am a little leary about taking the engine apart, i don't want to open a can of worms and then have to take it to a dealer and look like a dumb ass for taking it apart and then asking them to put it back together, but i sure appreciate your help, now i know it can be fixed..

Thx again...

Bob...:cheers:

You really shouldnt be trying to blame your dealer if they have not touched the saw in over a year.
The plug has very likely been run loose and wore the threads out of the head.

Not really blaming them yet, but they were the last ones to have the plug out, so if was loose as u say, then they left it loose, if it is suppossed to be checked once in a while then it is my fault as i have not checked it for tightness since the dealer had it, in any event all the responses are much appreciated and i now know it can be fixed, will see what the dealer says monday, they are great people, i have been dealing with them for years and never no problems so i will give them the benefit of the doubt.....

Took saw into dealer today, he is going to put helicoil kit in it, says sometimes they work good and sometimes they don't, if i can get another yr out of the saw, maybe i will go with a 362 and sell the 310 for parts, also looked at the husky 460 today, nice saw but i have never owned a husky but a lot cheaper than a 362 stihl, well time will tell....

He said he told me last time i had it in that threads in head were starting to strip and he fixed it the best he could, i don't remember that but i will take his word for it, at any rate he is only going to charge for labor to do helicoil repair, will be a lot cheaper than a new saw right now. i still have my 660 to use and an old reliable poulan for small stuff until it is fixed..

Thx for all the help everybody...

The Time Sert product is better than helicoil, lakeside told me...So I had my local Stihl dealer do my 372 plug thread....cylinder off, of course.

The Time Sert product is better than helicoil, lakeside told me...So I had my local Stihl dealer do my 372 plug thread....cylinder off, of course.

I believe you are correct rb, the Time serts are used very successfully on Ford V-10 heads that had a problem blowing out sparkplugs.

Do the elicoil repair. Have done it numerous times on B/B chevy aluminum heads. Also routinely to the aluminum heads to bolt the aluminum manifolds on. It's stronger than the original tap holes in Aluminum.

Helicoil could be a problem without removing cylinder. Ask me how I know. Anyway I tried helicoil without tearing saw apart and now I'm gonna have a rebuilt saw with new top end.

Back