Stihl MS362 problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like Andyshine77 said, pull the muffler and take a look. If it looks good, check compression. Another fella on here just had the same problems you are describing. He tried everything under the sun including several different carbs, new carb kit, fuel and impulse lines, pressure and vac tested, and was just about to let it go for parts. He had done a compression test but thought it was ok at around 135psi, I think. Put a new set of rings in it and it jumped to 150psi and it ran like a new saw. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Hey all, thought I would check in and let everyone know what's going on with my 362. I didn't end up pulling the thing apart, except for the spark arrestor. I've pulled the spark arrestor before, and tried cleaning it with a blow torch (as I saw recommended somewhere) to help solve my problems...to no avail. But now, I've just pulled it out and left it out. I had a big job the last 2 days, and the saw ran like a champ. In fact, it ran better than it has ever since i bought it brand new. Not sure if that really was the root of the issue or not, but I'm really happy with it now. Also, it is cooler here now, so that may have something to do with it as well, not sure :/ If it starts acting up again, at least I have this thread with tons of tips on where to start troubleshooting. Anyway, thanks to all for the great advice!

This will not be any help with fixing the problem, but just need to vent... I also have a ms362 bought it new and am now on my third carb. I am beginning to think that this saw is a lemon. Last carb dealer said was a bad welsh plug, but only had that carb on it for maybe 10 months. Dealer tried to get Stihl to warranty it but they refused, so another $150 into this saw. I think the next step is to change brands and I am currently looking at a husky 562.

Hey all, thought I would check in and let everyone know what's going on with my 362. I didn't end up pulling the thing apart, except for the spark arrestor. I've pulled the spark arrestor before, and tried cleaning it with a blow torch (as I saw recommended somewhere) to help solve my problems...to no avail. But now, I've just pulled it out and left it out. I had a big job the last 2 days, and the saw ran like a champ. In fact, it ran better than it has ever since i bought it brand new. Not sure if that really was the root of the issue or not, but I'm really happy with it now. Also, it is cooler here now, so that may have something to do with it as well, not sure :/ If it starts acting up again, at least I have this thread with tons of tips on where to start troubleshooting. Anyway, thanks to all for the great advice!

Sorry didn't see your post, happy you finally fix it!

This will not be any help with fixing the problem, but just need to vent... I also have a ms362 bought it new and am now on my third carb. I am beginning to think that this saw is a lemon. Last carb dealer said was a bad welsh plug, but only had that carb on it for maybe 10 months. Dealer tried to get Stihl to warranty it but they refused, so another $150 into this saw. I think the next step is to change brands and I am currently looking at a husky 562.
Ya very frustrating there... If it was new then any brand should be taken care of by the dealer. Good luck.

What is all the talk of H and L screws on an m tronic carb. Thought they were electronic and auto adjusting. Obviously it cant compensate for bad fuel, plugged fuel filter, dirty air cleaner, plugged fuel vent, or worn mechanical parts. All of which could cause the problem. If it remained fixed when you try it in the heat again I bet that spark arrestor is retaining too much heat in the engine. Any one mod there muffler on one of these saws. Curious as to how much fuel the M tronic can deliver when mods are done.

What is all the talk of H and L screws on an m tronic carb. Thought they were electronic and auto adjusting. Obviously it cant compensate for bad fuel, plugged fuel filter, dirty air cleaner, plugged fuel vent, or worn mechanical parts. All of which could cause the problem. If it remained fixed when you try it in the heat again I bet that spark arrestor is retaining too much heat in the engine. Any one mod there muffler on one of these saws. Curious as to how much fuel the M tronic can deliver when mods are done.

You should have read the thread, not all MS362`s are M tronic, that would be a MS362- C-M, the early versions were strato saws with an adjustable carb.

You should have read the thread, not all MS362`s are M tronic, that would be a MS362- C-M, the early versions were strato saws with an adjustable carb.

That's why I asked the question. I thought when they went to the 362 from the 361 the M tronic was adapted then. I stand corrected.

Sounds lean to me. Overheating then cooling down in the shade to run normal again.

I agree with tuning at the job site.

Doesn't sound like a fuel issue, but if you want a bulletproof fuel, consider Aviation gas.
I started using aviation fuel (100 LL) 25 years ago in my chainsaws (Stihl & Husqvarna) when falling timber. AvGas gives excellent power and does not seem to go bad like Gas Station pump gas. I have left a saw sit for months with AvGas in the tank and it will fire right up and run fine. All I can say is since switching to AvGas I have had a lot less problems with my chainsaws.
Brian O

Exact same problems here . . . Won't restart when saw is warm and outside temp is about 50 degrees Fahrenheit or so. Picked up an old 038 AV Magnum II and no issues. Have taken the 372 C to two repair places, one an authorized Stihl dealer with a great reputation, no help. Seems to be a common issue if you check other forums.

Back