stihl ms362 reviews

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't we just have a debate over the 361 and 362? Seems like just yesterday....... look around a bit there's plenty of info here on the 362.........better hurry before the make a 363 though!

excellent with a 20" b/c. if you need bigger than a 20" b/c buy a 460, if smaller than buy a 261.

There's a $200-250 difference bw 440/362's. Yes, if cost is not a factor, I think the 440 is a better saw for the weight than the 362. But, the 362 is a very capable saw for many users.

It is a capable saw. It's just underpowered and over weight. It still has a little more power than my ported 261, but when compared to the 440 it's a scab. It doesn't fill the gap between the 261 and 440 very well. That is simply due to the weight IMO. If cost is a big factor you could always go the ported 261 route.

personally i think it fills the gap perfect in thats its only a $100 more than the 261 & $200 less than a 441.

It is a capable saw. It's just underpowered and over weight. It still has a little more power than my ported 261, but when compared to the 440 it's a scab. It doesn't fill the gap between the 261 and 440 very well. That is simply due to the weight IMO. If cost is a big factor you could always go the ported 261 route.

That is an apples and oranges comparison. Most HO's just want to walk into a shop, grab a saw and go. You find a few that will venture into MM's. But when you start talking porting saws, they picture Stihl Hot Saw competition. Heck, most saw techs don't even know what porting a saw involves. For the average AS user, there isn't much need for a saw bw a 261 and 440.

I am surprised you think a stock 362 is stronger than a (well) ported 261. What size bars and wood are you comparing?

That is an apples and oranges comparison. Most HO's just want to walk into a shop, grab a saw and go. You find a few that will venture into MM's. But when you start talking porting saws, they picture Stihl Hot Saw competition. Heck, most saw techs don't even know what porting a saw involves. For the average AS user, there isn't much need for a saw bw a 261 and 440.

I am surprised you think a stock 362 is stronger than a (well) ported 261. What size bars and wood are you comparing?

They are both running 20" bars in hickory. The 362 just doesn't bog down quite as bad. But they are very close to one another. Don't get me wrong, I don't think the 362 is a bad saw. And I'm not trying to start an argument. I just think as far as weight and power go a 440 is a better saw. The op didn't specify what he was doing with it. For the average HO they could do a lot worse than a 362.

I demoed a 362 last week, no thanks. I ended up buying my dealers last new (never been fueled) 361 with a 20 inch bar for $560. I've also got a 20 inch bar from Bailey's on order for my 262. It will be interesting to run both the 361/262 and see how they compare.

Oh yeah, I also brought home a NIB 440. Yeehaaw!

There's a $200-250 difference bw 440/362's. Yes, if cost is not a factor, I think the 440 is a better saw for the weight than the 362. But, the 362 is a very capable saw for many users.

On the west coast, I was seeing some very good prices on 372 xt's - better than new 362's in some cases. I'd rather have an xt 372 than an ms361 anyday unless I had to do nothing but limbing.

On the west coast, I was seeing some very good prices on 372 xt's - better than new 362's in some cases. I'd rather have an xt 372 than an ms361 anyday unless I had to do nothing but limbing.

even then the 372w/28in light weight bar becomes a better choice then a 362 w/28 for the reach for limibing wouldnt you say?

regardless get what feels good in your hands.

but the 372 is around $50 more from madsens compared to local stihl dealer.

We have 8 362's at work. Good saw for all-around use. Of course, it's not worth a 440, by far... For a normal day of work with my team, I usually take one 200T, one 260, one 346xp, three 362 and one 440 (and sometimes bring my own 440/460BB MM...). No major problems with the 362 so far, apart from the clips that hold down the top cover. 3 of them have been lost in the past 7 months. I also dislike the air filter design but no problems so far... Our jobs are usually really tough on saws (cutting in water... ... ...) and they seem to be holding good. Unlike our XP saws (especially the 372xp), that spend more time at the repair shop than in the woods. A shame because I still think Husky's "feel" better at use, when they work...

Having had a Husky 372XP, the 362 does'nt compare to it. The 372 pulls a 24" better than the 362 pulls a 20". But I would not consider it weak as it's quite a bit more powerful than my 028. As for me, it's good enough. Now if my flippy caps will stay on lol.

............No major problems with the 362 so far, apart from the clips that hold down the top cover. 3 of them have been lost in the past 7 months......

Interesting....the used 362 I picked up also had 2 of the 3 top cover screws missing....

............ I also dislike the air filter design but no problems so far.....
It is hard to get it to fit, but it also looks like it will do a good job; I will know more this fall.

Back