Stihl ms362 vs Makita 6401 comparison

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Kuhn

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been using my John Deere/Echo 51SV for the last 20 years, and have decided to get a new saw, as it seems parts are not so readily available from JD. At first I thought I would just get a Stihl, as they are the most popular and lots of dealers. But then I ran across this site and have been reading a lot of the posts, and because I do things for the long haul, decided to go with a pro saw. There clearly are a lot of good options. I like using the 20" bar, and it seems the 60 cc size is best for that, which would be an upgrade from my old 50cc saw with 20" bar. Here us what I'm seeing:
Biggest difference is the price, around $680 for the MS362 and $480 for a reconditioned but new Makita 6401.
Stihl is a bit lighter, Makita has a bit more power. Either would be lighter and have more power than my old saw. Makita could easily be upgraded for more displacement.
Makita holds more oil and fuel, which is a plus.
Makita has conventional fuel/oil caps, a plus over the flippy caps.
Makita has adjustable bar oiler.
Stihl has lower fuel consumption, probably lower emissions with strato setup. Makes me wonder how Makita meets req'ts. Any compromise there? I prefer to leave my saw stock, don't want to make it louder or stinkier with muffler mod or porting. Don't want to spend the extra $'s and complexity for the 6421 with catalyst.
Stihl appears to have a better air cleaner, but could get upgrade for Makita.
Stihl probably better parts availability through dealers. Dealer service not an issue for me as I do my own maintenance and repair.
My main questions relate to reliability and part availability for 20 yrs. I don't cut enough wood to wear it out, but I want something I can depend on. Any difference in reliability or ease of service? I see that you can get parts thru Baileys, does that work pretty well, and do they stock parts for old saws too?
Any other issues I haven't considered?

well I have'nt run either of these saws but can tell you that the parts for the 6400 will be cheaper and easier to order online than parts for the 362 which will probably have to be gotten through a stihl dealer. I do have a 7900 and it has been a wonderful saw for me the 6400 is very similar just less power. I have spent some time behind a 361 and they are a good saw. I just like the ease of being able to order parts online and get them cheaper I'm not a big fan of having to pay a fortune and order parts from a stihl dealer.

$480 for reconditioned seems quite high especially since a month or so ago Baileys was selling new ones for that price or even less with a small rebate. Anywho things change for sure and Baileys may be out of them by now since as you noted the new 6421 is out. Would be worth the effort to try to locate a NOS 6401 on somebodys shelf somewhere, you'd think they would still exist. Probably be more than Baileys price but still less than a 362. Does the outfit that offers the recon. units sell brand new ones or are they out as well? This transition from 6401 to 6421 has just recently occured as i understand it, would like to believe that all are not gone. Dont forget the Dolmar 6400 is the same exact saw as the Makita in different colors, so i am told. Google Dolmar, they have dealer locator available. REJ2

Last edited:
$480 does seem a little high for reconditioned but Makitas have gone up. I see that Baileys has the 6421 is about $90.00 more than they were getting for the 6401. That's one of the reasons I hurried up an got a Dolmar 7300 because I knew that all the Dolmars and Makitas were going up. I think you would be happy with either saw. The Makita would be a little stronger but I don't think you can loose either way.

a bone stock 6400 will outcut a ms362 quite easily. As much as I hate to admit it, it's a toss up between my ported 361 and a 6400. Now it is heavier, doesn't have a see through fuel tank and its caps are worse than flippy caps IMHO. Mine have been compromised and require pliers to get them off sometimes. Smoothness is also a toss up. Either will serve you VERY well but in this case I would go with a 6400 and get the BB kit with the extra money.

Biggest difference is the price, around $680 for the MS362 and $480 for a reconditioned but new Makita 6401.
Stihl is a bit lighter, Makita has a bit more power. Either would be lighter and have more power than my old saw. Makita could easily be upgraded for more displacement.
Makita holds more oil and fuel, which is a plus.
Makita has conventional fuel/oil caps, a plus over the flippy caps.
Makita has adjustable bar oiler.
Stihl has lower fuel consumption, probably lower emissions with strato setup. Makes me wonder how Makita meets req'ts. Any compromise there? I prefer to leave my saw stock, don't want to make it louder or stinkier with muffler mod or porting. Don't want to spend the extra $'s and complexity for the 6421 with catalyst.
Stihl appears to have a better air cleaner, but could get upgrade for Makita.
Both saws are great, pro build saws.. can't go wrong with either one. IMO
The only problem with the Makita is that you will put the BB kit or OEM kit on and have a 79cc saw, then you will search again for the 60cc saw. lol.
John Kuhn eh? You play for the Packers??:confused:

Dolmar / Makita 6400

Good reliable saw. Most parts can be had from Baileys if not available locally. uses the large mount Husky bars so those are no issue.

Price may be a bit high, but I am quite sure the Dolkitas had a pretty hefty price increase not long ago so that price may indeed be reasonable.

Take Care

John Kuhn eh? You play for the Packers??:confused:

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

I thought getting away from the flippy caps would be an advantage, but now I'm not so sure...

That was a fun game to watch last night--I did pretty well, didn't I?:rotfl: No, I'm a lot older and not exactly built like the football player, but it's fun anyway

well I have'nt run either of these saws but can tell you that the parts for the 6400 will be cheaper and easier to order online than parts for the 362 which will probably have to be gotten through a stihl dealer. I do have a 7900 and it has been a wonderful saw for me the 6400 is very similar just less power. I have spent some time behind a 361 and they are a good saw. I just like the ease of being able to order parts online and get them cheaper I'm not a big fan of having to pay a fortune and order parts from a stihl dealer.

Good to know about the parts--is Bailey's your source, and do they keep parts for when the saw is older than 10 years?

I'd say you'd be very pleased with either saw, both a definate upgrade. Call me a hater but I'd probably prefer the 6401.
Fatguy if you weren't such a little fella ya might get those caps off w/o pliers.

Cant tell you from first hand experience on the 362, but I couldnt be happier with my 6401. I am very fond of my Stihls, but for the money I couldnt pass up a 6401. Seems more like a 70cc saw to me, definitely VERY strong.

Almost all the parts I use come from Baileys and they have done right by me every time as far as how long they will have parts for the 6400/7900 it is hard to say but they still have parts for some of the old husky,stihl,and johnnyreds so I would say that they will prob have parts for them and even if they dont there are so many of these saws in circulation that it will be easy for you to find parts for years to come. Kinda like my old 041 FB I have never had trouble finding parts for that saw and it is about 30+ years old.

John, if you are looking for a deal on a dolmar and are near Shawano, WI, try Dave's saw shop in Gresham, he has a sawshop on his farm that he has run for many years and is a dolmar dealer, a little off the beaten path, but he usually gives a good deal. 715-787-3360 you can call him any day. or you can try Jacobs equipment, in Elcho ( just north of Antigo) they are only there on saturday from 10 till 6 they may also have a deal on one 715-275-3530, or try Fuller sales in antigo they stock dolmar,stihl and husky 715-623-4912

i am sure the 6401 is a great saw,and baileys' would be exc. to work with. where do you honestly think dolmar as a company will be in 20 years,let alone parts availability? bottom line,if you want another 20+ year saw,that you know parts will be there for,then get the 362. besides, if you care for a stihl well enough to make it last 20 years,how many parts do you think you will ever really need for it. jmo.

John, if you are looking for a deal on a dolmar and are near Shawano, WI, try Dave's saw shop in Gresham, he has a sawshop on his farm that he has run for many years and is a dolmar dealer, a little off the beaten path, but he usually gives a good deal. 715-787-3360 you can call him any day. or you can try Jacobs equipment, in Elcho ( just north of Antigo) they are only there on saturday from 10 till 6 they may also have a deal on one 715-275-3530, or try Fuller sales in antigo they stock dolmar,stihl and husky 715-623-4912

Thanks for the Dolmar dealer info, but I am in the southern part of the state, so about a 5 hr round trip, more than I would like to do.

Regarding Stihl vs Dolmar part availability, I would give higher odds for Stihl to be around than Dolmar over 20 yrs, but maybe no difference in the need for parts, given each saw's reputation for durability. As was pointed out, I do prefer to get my parts online rather than from a dealer, from cost and convenience standpoint.

I haven't run a Makita, so I can't help you there. However, one of the local racers around here built up a Makita and won't sell it to anyone...says he doesn't want to create competition for himself.

I can put a few of your worries to rest for the MS362, though. It's a very smooth running saw and runs a 20" bar beautifully. I actually just put an 8 pin rim on mine and suits me quite well. The (in)famous flippy caps have not created a problem for me. Ever. The saw gets good fuel "mileage" and oils quite well. It does have an adjustable oiler, as does the 6401. The new filtering system Stihl copied from Husky and whoever else works well. AV on the saw is very good, as well.

Had I known about the Makita at the time I bought my saw, I probably would have bought one, just because of the price difference. Either way, I doubt you'll be disappointed. Let us know!

dolmar is definately not new to the game,but i think most would agree makita has done them no favors at all. i know they are well built,run fast,and are light,...not too mention the price difference. that is one thing about stihl that is really starting to bother me,and i buy all my saws @ cost, is the price. the 261 and the 362 are crazy expensive. that would be the one area where dolmar is definately more appealing,but i hear the new series of saws will be seeing a healthy price increase.

Back