Stihl MS390 not oiling the chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pecker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi what's up. I'm hoping someone can offer some advice please. Here's the deal - it is using roughly half the reservoir of oil per fuel tankful (about right I think), but there is not nearly enough oil getting on the chain. When I run the saw WOT with the nose of the bar close to a light piece of wood (like you do to see if it is oiling properly) the chain is not throwing any oil. I have adjusted the oil screw on the bottom to full open and it isn't enough.

Here's what I've done in attempt to remedy the situation: I took the bar off and made sure the oil hole on the power unit was not clogged. The blew out the hole in the bar where the oil goes in with high pressure compressed air. It worked a little better until I started sawing again and now it is not oiling again.

Also, I clean the saw, sharpen the chain by hand, fill up the fuel tank, fill up the oil tank every tankfull. I'm meticulous with maintenance. And the chain has about 4 tank fulls on it so its not old at all. The saw came with a Stihl green bar but I put a Stihl yellow bar on it - but the oil hole seems to line up properly.

Any and all advice welcome and I'll try it because I really don't want to send it to the shop for something like this. Thanks in advance.

Well if you're having to refill the oil res. then you know that it is oiling, just not enough. How long a bar are you running? Is your adjustment screw turned up all the way? The yellow vs. green bars won't matter. And how long are you revving it to fling the oil? It may not be instantaneous. The chain has to load up with oil before it'll start to really sling it.

Jeff

fishhuntcutwood said:
Well if you're having to refill the oil res. then you know that it is oiling, just not enough. How long a bar are you running? Is your adjustment screw turned up all the way? The yellow vs. green bars won't matter. And how long are you revving it to fling the oil? It may not be instantaneous. The chain has to load up with oil before it'll start to really sling it.

Jeff

DITTO

20" bar. Adjustment is turned all the way up. It won't even sling it once it is warmed up.

Also, will lack of oil cause the teeth to turn brown?

Thanks.

Back