Stihl MS440 Magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloch24

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I just acquired a Stihl MS440 Magnum with a 20" bar and chain, and I am in need of an owners manual, service manual, and/or and IPL for this saw. I would be ecstatic to have these in digital form.

The only thing wrong with the saw is a broken choke/ignition switch lever (which I'm attempting to repair as I type, but will probably need to buy a new one).

Also, I am contemplating a 24-25" bar and chain. I have read conflicting reports about the ability of this saw. Most have said that this saw will run up to a 28" bar with no problem (plenty of power), but some have stated that anything over 20" is overkill. I am just using this saw for firewood, and the occasional felling of a tree. Every once in a while, I get into something that a 20" bar is just a little too short for.

One last question. Will this bar/chain combo fit a Stihl 031av? They are both 3/8" pitch 50ga, I haven't taken them off to compare oiler hole positions yet.

Thanks in advance!

Pm me your email address for the manual and IPL.

Yes, the bar will fit an 031, but is a bit long. 16 is right for the 031, unless you are on the west coast, where there is no upper limit to bar length..:) :greenchainsaw:

An 044/440 should do OK with 24" in softwood, but 20 is better overall.

Here in Kansas, 20 is definitely the right bar length.

To each of his own. There are a lot of fellow AS members that will say that 20inch bar would be perfect. That is what the general consensus says. With that combo of bar/chain, you would have insane chain speed, so it would take alot to bog it down. Your using it mainly one hardwood correct? That would help out there a lot to try and find out the combo you need.

Yes, personally if and when I own an 044. I will drop a 32inch bar/chain on it. I am, after all, from the Westcoast. :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Yes, hardwood... I very RARELY cut anything except hardwood here in Ohio. The only time I get into any soft wood is trimming around the house. Mostly I cut Maple, Oak, Ash, etc...

Thanks for the info so far!

I just acquired a Stihl MS440 Magnum with a 20" bar and chain, and I am in need of an owners manual, service manual, and/or and IPL for this saw. I would be ecstatic to have these in digital form.

I see IPL referred to a lot on this site, what the heck is an IPL and what makes it so helpful to have?

The only thing wrong with the saw is a broken choke/ignition switch lever (which I'm attempting to repair as I type, but will probably need to buy a new one).

Also, I am contemplating a 24-25" bar and chain. I have read conflicting reports about the ability of this saw. Most have said that this saw will run up to a 28" bar with no problem (plenty of power), but some have stated that anything over 20" is overkill. I am just using this saw for firewood, and the occasional felling of a tree. Every once in a while, I get into something that a 20" bar is just a little too short for.

One last question. Will this bar/chain combo fit a Stihl 031av? They are both 3/8" pitch 50ga, I haven't taken them off to compare oiler hole positions yet.

Thanks in advance!

It will not have any problems running a 25" in hardwood. To me 20" is too short for that powerhead weight, grab a 60cc for a 20". Since you already have the 20" go ahead and get a 28" for the bigger jobs. Add the dual port cover, retune and do some of this>:chainsaw:

Dual Port Cover

Does the dual port cover really add that much power to the saw? I have read quite a bit on these threads about the dual port cover, but I haven't seen any numbers, or opinions on what this adds to the saw without further mods.

Also, will the saw need to be re-tuned if this new muffler cover is added?

As for the bar, as the day went by, I was considering more and more to just go with the 28" bar, and use it when I need it. I'm sure the 20" bar will do most of what I need, and if/when I need more, put on the larger bar.

Kind of off topic here, but does anyone know if the 031av was made differently over the years? My father has a 031av (old enough to have shipped with points and condenser), and he runs a 20" bar on this saw just fine. I however, have a 031av with electronic ignition, and the muffler is different. It doesn't seem to have as deep of a grunt as the older one, and my father swears that he was told that his has more power than the newer ones. Oh, mine has a "farm boss" bar on it as well. I never understood the "farm boss", or "wood boss" nameplates either, do they mean anything by themselves?

Alot of questions, I know... Thanks for all of the information and opinions!

Does the dual port cover really add that much power to the saw? I have read quite a bit on these threads about the dual port cover, but I haven't seen any numbers, or opinions on what this adds to the saw without further mods.

Also, will the saw need to be re-tuned if this new muffler cover is added?

As for the bar, as the day went by, I was considering more and more to just go with the 28" bar, and use it when I need it. I'm sure the 20" bar will do most of what I need, and if/when I need more, put on the larger bar.

Kind of off topic here, but does anyone know if the 031av was made differently over the years? My father has a 031av (old enough to have shipped with points and condenser), and he runs a 20" bar on this saw just fine. I however, have a 031av with electronic ignition, and the muffler is different. It doesn't seem to have as deep of a grunt as the older one, and my father swears that he was told that his has more power than the newer ones. Oh, mine has a "farm boss" bar on it as well. I never understood the "farm boss", or "wood boss" nameplates either, do they mean anything by themselves?

Alot of questions, I know... Thanks for all of the information and opinions!

Yes,,,, It can seem pretty substantial!!!! especially if you enlarge the minuscule hole under the deflector hood on the PTO side of the Muffler casing along with the adding of a dual port cover and re-adjust the carb properly!!!!

I put a 28" on my 440 and it makes me smile every time I run it. It screams. And yes, I'm in Illinois, oak, hickory, and ash.

20" bar with3/8x8 sprocket. Very nice speed and balance. Good typical firewood/farmsaw setup. Typical upgrade from the 038MS2 it replaced.

24"bar with 3/8x7sprocket. Slooower. Balance not horrible.

+28"bar with 3/8x7sprocket rarely and carefully. If it was going to be a regular setup then semi-skip. Sloooooooowest and bar heavy. Still very usable. All about the sharp chain which is where many folks fall down on longer bars.

Most folks around here go with the 20" setup.

The saw will work with any of those setups, it is more about what the user is after.

I haven't messed with changing the sprocket configuration yet.. I'm guessing that the more teeth the sprocket has, the larger the sprocket, and that basically changes the gear ratio?

Now for the chain.. a few of you have mentioned semi-skip chain (either on this post or others). Am I to understand that this chain basically does not have as many cutting edges, and will not bog the saw down as much as a standard chain?

I haven't messed with changing the sprocket configuration yet.. I'm guessing that the more teeth the sprocket has, the larger the sprocket, and that basically changes the gear ratio?

Now for the chain.. a few of you have mentioned semi-skip chain (either on this post or others). Am I to understand that this chain basically does not have as many cutting edges, and will not bog the saw down as much as a standard chain?

Correct on both. Higher chain speed, not as much pulling power. Semi and skip = less cutters for chip clearence and less power needed to pull it for longer bar situations. Just my opinion, but if you are cutting hardwood for firewood, I would use a 20" bar and full comp chain for that saw.

Last edited:
Just my opinion, but if you are cutting hardwood for firewood, I would use a 20" bar and full comp chain for that saw.

+1 From what I understand, the 440 has essentially the same power as my 372XP and 2171, both of which love cuttin' maple and oak with a 20" bar and LGX or 30RC.

Back