Stihl MS440 oil and gas caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodyman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/Stihl-044-Chain...=ViewItem&pt=US_Chainsaws&hash=item230706cdbb Did they make a Stihl 044/MS440 with a screw type oil cap and a flip type gas cap.Found this one on ebay.I just got a straight gassed 044 that looks just like this one.The seller said the tank/handle was run over and replaced on mine but they gave me the old tank/handle and it had the flip gas cap on it.Was mine run over twice or what?
attachment.php

The tank is from a 440. My 044 has a new 440 tank on it also. One screw cap and one flippy. :cheers:

The 044 had screw-type caps on both ends. The 440 has flip-type caps on both ends. They were never sold new with one of each.
Thats what I thought.I know the one I have was replaced twice now.I got mine from a girl at work who's husband owns an excavating business and I am thinking maybe an employee broke it an replaced the handle without saying anything:confused:

Last edited:
it is a franken saw-- i would be more worried about the mechanical parts and it is a ebay deal-- i would be very cautious--:greenchainsaw:

Id say that the insides on that saw are bone stock and havent been messed with, they discontinued the the screw type 044 tank a long while back. fortunately the only difference between a 044 and ms440 is the gas tank caps (and some older 044s have a 10mm crankshaft where the later have a 12mm). anybody who tells you different is retarded and doesnt know about it. all of the 044 ms440 parts have 1128 cast into them and are the same thing

franken saws are not that bad if somebody with half a brain matched the parts together.

I have 2 ms440s on my work truck, one is nearly new (6 months run time max), the other is one thats about 9 years old that i rebuilt from a box of parts from various 044s and 440s i'd ran and crashed out or blowed up over the years. The one i built has one case half from a 2002 ms440, and the other half from a 96 044. The franken saw runs better, cuts faster and is more dependable than the newish stock 440.

Back