Stihl MS440...what is a new one worth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBush

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have found a new Stihl MS440 chainsaw with a 25 inch bar on it. The saw is brand new, but does not come with a factory warranty. What is the maximum that it is worth?

If it's truly new, id say $750... Unless your offering it to me, then it's an old, outdated discontinued model, barely worth it's weight in scrap...i'll give $100. Where do I send the check :)

I would have thought $700 would be "the absolute top" especially considering that it has no warranty. I would think anything over that, you are getting into 441 territory. I know some people don't seem to like the 441 as much, but it is "new with a warranty".

I would have thought $700 would be "the absolute top" especially considering that it has no warranty. I would think anything over that, you are getting into 441 territory. I know some people don't seem to like the 441 as much, but it is "new with a warranty".

Just me...but i would take a NOS 440 w/o warranty over a new 441 w/warranty. They don't make the 440 anymore.

They were $1k up here.
my dealer has no more.

the 441 is over $1k.

the 460 is just under $1k dealer has them now...

funny.... when the 440 was available, the dealer didn't have 460's in stock.

now they have the 460 and 441.

$700-750 is fair for someone wanting to use it. A collector would pay more, I hope to sell mine in a few years for $1300.:D:D:D

NOT!!!

NOS saws

I'm with Brian, worth more to a collector than a user. They are not far enough gone away for a "NIB" saw to be worth much more than it's OTD price.

I'm saving mine back for the zombies. Or my granddaughters

But if the 440 had to go, certainly not for one penny less than the $800ish ('07) OTD cost: Saw, DP cover, 20"ES/33RSC, tax.

Last edited:
I'm with Brian, worth more to a collector than a user. They are not far enough gone away for a "NIB" saw to be worth much more than it's OTD price.

I'm saving mine back for the zombies. Or my granddaughters

But if the 440 had to go, certainly not for one penny less than the $800ish ('07) OTD cost: Saw, DP cover, 20"ES/33RSC, tax.

Now that you say that, I'm looking for another NIB 440 and I don't have your addy.....:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

No need to worry about not having a warantee. Its a Stihl, Stihls dont need warantee work done to them

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

No warranty, NOS=$600, tops.

Not a 440 fanatic, but I would never pay more than the current price for a one model removed model and would treat it like a barely used saw since it has no warranty. It is NOT like buying a new one.

Collector might pay more but I would not if I was going to use it.

$700.00 is spitting distance from new saws with warranties that are quite frankly better tools to cut wood with.

$700.00 is spitting distance from new saws with warranties that are quite frankly better tools to cut wood with.

Many guys swore by the 044/440. Although the 441 has been proven to be a great saw, some Stihl prefer the 440. I'm thinking of selling the 441 just because I use the 044 and 460 more.

Latest posts

Back