Stihl MS440R vs 441R C-m

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4x4American

Got Sawdust?
Reaction score
Few questions, about how much does a new 440R go for? and about how much does a new 441R C-M go fer? Now next questions, is it a huge difference between the two? How reliable is the C-M part of the deal? What size bar fits them best? My 461r wears a 28" for day to day operations and it seems to fit the saw well. Now just want a backup saw that isnt as spendy as the 461 and I've heard such good things about the 440/441 series and I wanna see what they're all about. Bossman provides 372xt's and I just plain don't like them. I am partial to Stihl, plus damn near all my bars and chains are for any Stihl 3003 3/8 .050

You can find out the prices if you go to Stihl's website. Every store will have the same retail price. The 441RC-M retails for $950, at least around here. It all depends on the dealer on how much you can get knocked off or the amount of stuff thrown in. As far as reliability of the M-tronics system, I don't think they have been out quite long enough yet to say how reliable they are. How long have they been out, 3 years?

As far as bar size, I would think either 25 or 28.

It looks like the 440R is not listed on Stihl's website. Is that a fairly new model?

Last edited:
You can find out the prices if you go to Stihl's website. Every store will have the same retail price. The 441RC-M retails for $950, at least around here. It all depends on the dealer on how much you can get knocked off or the amount of stuff thrown in. As far as reliability of the M-tronics system, I don't think they have been out quite long enough yet to say how reliable they are. How long have they been out, 3 years?

As far as bar size, I would think either 25 or 28.

It looks like the 440R is not listed on Stihl's website. Is that a fairly new model?

stihlusa.com has no prices and does list the 440r which is a dependable saw thats been round fer a long time

stihlusa.com has no prices and does list the 440r which is a dependable saw thats been round fer a long time

You have to enter your zipcode to find dealers in your area and go to their website to find out the prices.

Just realized the 440R is listed on Stihl's website but not on any dealers website.

I own a 441 CM-R and stock it would destroy my 044, after porting it can rival a stock 90cc saw in small-large wood, of course when wood is really big and long bars (36'' and up) are needed the the 90cc and above will walk over my ported 70cc saw.

The power on the 441 after porting is real smooth and consistent, just a pleasure IMO.

Also the 440R does not come with the H.O oil pump, which the 441R CM does.

I own a 441 CM-R and stock it would destroy my 044, after porting it can rival a stock 90cc saw in small-large wood, of course when wood is really big and long bars (36'' and up) are needed the the 90cc and above will walk over my ported 70cc saw.

The power on the 441 after porting is real smooth and consistent, just a pleasure IMO.

good to know about the h.o. oiler not on the 440r...that 441rcm is got dang spendy!

Are you sure the 440R does not come with the HO oil pump? That is what I thought came with the R version. I know if I just bought the 441C-M, it does not come with all that extra stuff like the HO oil pump.

yea I always thought that R meant 3/4 wrap handle, HO oiler, large felling dogs, larger clutch cover, large saw chip mud flap deal

A stock 441C will run rings around a 440 (dont think they are making them any longer) and even scare a 460.
I have bean using the 441CRs stock,muff modded and ported for some time and as a everyday work saw they cant be beaten.
They respond very well to a simple muff modd.
Better
AV (R model has stiffer springs)
Filter system
Start system
Less fumes,fuel use
Auto tune
:buttkick:

Are you sure the 440R does not come with the HO oil pump? That is what I thought came with the R version. I know if I just bought the 441C-M, it does not come with all that extra stuff like the HO oil pump.

Yes I believe I'm right.... from everything I have gathered there is no H.O option for the 440.

the 441 and 460 share the same oilier.

Of all my saws,i use the 440 the most,its a little nimbler feeling of all my 70 plus saws,its been hopped up in a few places if that counts at all

I have .063 chain ,the wider groove helps it oil longer bars,i switch between a 28 and 32 and it oils fine

Last edited:
Anyone be able to share any thoughts as to how a 441 m tronics edition does against a husky 372 xt non auto tune? Say 372 with 24" bar round ground chisel chain vs 441cm 25" bar and round ground chisel chain in oak- felling, limbing, and bucking.

Back