Stihl MS441 Curiuosity!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike Maas said:
I notice the gas tank is smaller and the oil tank is bigger. This saw must get much better milage.

And if oil is lighter than gas...shouldn't the saw now weigh less instead of more?

Maybe they need to make the oil tank even bigger to shave weight!;)

Chaser

I was talking to a Stihl rep and he said with the new saws you were going to have to go a size or two big in displacement to get similar performance as the older saws.

fishhuntcutwood said:
Could be, but I think this may be Stihl's answer to the 575.

Jeff

Looks like it. The 440 compared to the 372XP Husky and we know that Husqvarna's 372XP replacement, the 575, got heavier. Now we see the same with the Stihl 440 replacement, the 441. Are they putting lead in the muffler to reach the new smog ratings?

It adds cost and weight
If done right it doesnt have to add any weight and increased cost would be minimal. The problem is Redmax has all the patents for Stratocharged engines locked up. They have been building them for almost ten years.
I have a Redmax blower with a Strato engine and it looks identical to a standard two cycle in every way except it has a two barrel carb.

I'd like to get ahold of one for the Spring AV's. I guess as long as I never pick up a 460, I'll never be dissapointed.

Mike Maas said:
I notice the gas tank is smaller and the oil tank is bigger. This saw must get much better milage.
You are probably right, I also noticed that.

Not beeing a pro user, I really couldn't care less...:blob2:

460Ted said:
Well, the Stihl website no longer lists the 441 in their comparison chart.
I have also noticed that, and I believe Lakeside is right.
However, it is in the 2006 interactive web-site catalog, in the "information" part of the site.
Due for release mid 2006 it says, as opposed to spring 2006 elsewhere (here).

Specs are the same that was in the comparison chart.

One note I have made is that the 440 has gained .2 kg in weight, and the 460 .1 kg in US listing for 2006.
Some sort of coverup to make the 441 look better than it really is? :confused:

Lawn Masters said:
That saw looks pretty interesting. the top cover and air filter cover, remind me of the 029 in a way. most of the pro saws, the a/f cover, and cyl cover have a bit of space between them, this theres none at all.
The lack of a gap there is because Stihl have used a design very close to the AirInjection/Turbo of E-lux on the 441. A gap between the covers would prevent that design from functioning properly.

Back