Stihl ms441c dying while cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Itr.#1446

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just picked up a used 441c. At first I was having problems with it when going full throttle it would die and not idle. Found the wire that runs around the case was hanging the one butterfly up. But my second problem now is it bogs down and dies while trying to cut. It will start right back up and and idke fine but doesn't seem to take a load on it. Sounds like it just runs out of fuel. I don't know how long this saw sat from the pervious owner and I put some seafoam in and tried to run it as long as It would but it only got alittle better. Anyone have an idea what of what could be wrong?

I just picked up a used 441c. At first I was having problems with it when going full throttle it would die and not idle. Found the wire that runs around the case was hanging the one butterfly up. But my second problem now is it bogs down and dies while trying to cut. It will start right back up and and idle fine but doesn't seem to take a load on it. Sounds like it just runs out of fuel. I don't know how long this saw sat from the previous owner and I put some seafoam in and tried to run it as long as It would but it only got a little better. Anyone have an idea what of what could be wrong?
bad rings? I had a 266 that did that...re-ringed it ran like new.

Yea it may be possible but I have no idea. It will cut good at like 3/4 throttle but if you go full after getting 1/4 way thru it bogs down. If you don't let off the throttle it does. But if you let off and kinda blip the gas it will stay running. I think this saw also has the m-tronic electrical system which could be the problem also.

If it seems to run ok but dies under load it is likely lean or low on compression. With mtronic, lean would likely mean an air leak. Test the compression. If it's good, it's prolly lean

Well I just took the muffler off and the piston is scored and scratched on the exhaust side port. Guessing I found my problem or a problem....

Just tore the saw down which was a first time for me on a saw. Waiting for a price from the local dealer on a cylinder kit or have been reading about the big bore kits for it. If I was to go that route is it easy to tune the carb for it? I work on dirtbike/atv carbs all the time but never messed with a saw yet.

Just tore the saw down which was a first time for me on a saw. Waiting for a price from the local dealer on a cylinder kit or have been reading about the big bore kits for it. If I was to go that route is it easy to tune the carb for it? I work on dirtbike/atv carbs all the time but never messed with a saw yet.
what was wrong with it that required the whole kit?
carb adj is easy

Piston is scored and scratched pretty good on the exhaust side and the cylinder has some from the piston.

4B2FD271-1F0F-4F55-8066-794A13B450AC_zpslldd7yhd.jpg

9E07C4B8-FCA4-41CA-A864-E77B9345068A_zpssycjinja.jpg

I agree, that cylinder looks like it can be cleaned up, at least from the pictures. I've seen a lot worse. Pick up a good AM piston , Meteor likely makes one , and slap it on. However like previously stated find out if you have an air leak before running saw.

I can catch my nail when running it across on scratches unless its piston material stuck. I'll take a another pic shortly.

BFDCD83A-A739-42FA-AF0B-299911BA5E26_zpsdpwoikpy.jpg

I am not positive what caused it I just bought the saw used from someone. The intake boot looked fine when I took it off. Could the previous owners not ran enough oil?

Clean that jug using fine emery paper. After you know it will clean up , get a piston kit with new wrist pin bearing. Do a vacuum-pressure test. And put a kit in the carb.

insufficient oil is a good guess. Quart of muriatic acid, sandpaper and a Meteor piston/rings will run you about 40% of what you are quoted for Stihl parts

"Quart" of muriatic ???:surprised3:
Jeepers is he etching a pool or a cylinder .... ;)
Just messin with ya.

Be nice if they sold a thimble full eh ???

I tried looking for the meteor piston for the 441 but can't seem to find it? Anyone have a link for one? And any recommendations for a place to get the carb kit besides the local dealer.

Meteor doesn't have a 441 piston out yet. hyway makes one as do a few other am companies. Check the price on oem.

The carb should be a walbro, the kits are cheap online.

So should oem be at the top of the list first? I do get a little bit of a discount there so I'll see what they say.

I tried looking for the meteor piston for the 441 but can't seem to find it? Anyone have a link for one? And any recommendations for a place to get the carb kit besides the local dealer.
I got a Zama carb kit on eBay for my 435, $12 shipped. Made a big difference, the plastic diaphragm was defective day one.

Latest posts

Back